Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jellyfishing ???

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:59 am

I found that with my crazy AR5 it only happened when the bladder had lost some air pressure... it was pretty good if nice and firm...

Conditions also play a part. In our Northeasterlies which are pretty smooth the kite behaved better... but in gusty westerlies the kite was more dodgy.

BLOWN AWAY

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:01 am

Also if you don't pump up and X2 properly it TOO will jellfish and EVEN jellyflop!! It happens with all tube kites if you don't pump themn up hard :smile:

BLOWN AWAY

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:47 pm

my .02:

once i had to inflate my ar3.5 using my mouth because i forgot my pump and eveyone else on the beach was on foils.
that's what i'd call a jellyfishing kite :wink:
power was staedy until the wings folded inside, then the kite did a little dancing in the powerzone and i did a little being dragged and screaming ... until it got back up and calm again.

when i tested the windtools booster 12 (16m flat)
i redefined my definition of jellyfishing.
this kite twisted and winded itself so much i was afraid to look up.
but the drag @ the bar was smooth and steady - almost felt like the kite did actively help to fly curves.

i've seen a blacktip 12.2 (2001) in about 25knots. far beyond top end (hangtime contest), the usual jellyfishing was reduced to a little wobbling (still scary).
at the top end, there's so much pressure on every inch of material, that there's hardly any jellyfishing possible.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:55 pm

I used to have an AR5 7.5 m. I remember using it a few times in Bonaire in 20 to 25 kt.+ winds. One wing tip would fold BACK over the top of the kite in higher wind conditions rendering the kite highly unstable. Fortunately, I had an AR5 5.5 m along that was quite stable and good for the higher winds.

Rick Iossi

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby murdoc » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:13 pm

rick,
that's not exactly what i understand by the word 'jellyfishing' :smile:

is it called jellyfishing when kites do such crazy stuff?
i thought it's only when the kite wobbles ant twists inflight ?!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Nov 27, 2002 4:20 pm

Yes, Murdoc you are correct. Jellyfishing as I understand it is the cyclical expansion and contraction or "breathing" motion of the kite. Wind induced strumming along with the natural frequency harmonics of the kite seem to be related to this.

I neglected to mention that the kite would work itself up into a jellyfishing frenzy finalized by the folding back of the wingtip. At that point it would start to arc up starting a spin. As a result, I had to use the AR 5 7.5 m in a much more narrow wind range than the 5.5 m or my personal favorite for exceptional wind range and good flying qualities, the AR 5 9.5 m.

Rick Iossi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RickI on 2002-11-27 16:21 ]</font>

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:11 pm

Yep the old AR5 7.5 did some crazy things...

The real definition of jellyfishing is when the kite wobbles and flaps it's wings... pretty harmless stuff but it may affect the performance (it did when I was using the Airblast)

BLOWN AWAY

Return to “Kitesurfing”