All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fiji Warning
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:51 am 
Rare Poster

If you’re planning a Kite Surfing holiday in Fiji be warned that Safari Lodge is NOT the place to arrange this through. Located on the Beautiful Island of Nananu-I Ra. This Guy Warren Francis should NOT be trusted. At first he seems like a nice guy but as time goes his true colours shine. Things that are promised and expected soon become a fantasy…..

For around $150 Australian Dollars per day you are promised accommodation, transfers, meals and the perfect Kiting vacation.

The accommodation is very sub-standard, the double rooms and dormitory are about the same as you would expect of your very cheap back-packer type accommodation. On our last day we were sent off the Island to stay in a room shared with 3 other people even though we had paid for a private room and not only that but the other people were paying only $20 per day to stay there not $150.

With a generator for power which is turned on only a few hours each day you can forget things like a fridge for fresh food and can expect weat-bix with warm milk for Breakfast. Don't expect the rest of your meals to improve throughout the day either. We ate most of our meals at one of the two small shops located on the Island.

There are no cooking facilities, there is no hot water and the quality of the bedding is near appalling.

You are promised the best places to kite all year round however on arrival it is explained that the winds come in 8 day cycles. The beach where you launch from is difficult and not inviting. At high tide there is no room for your kite and at low tide the reef is exposed so it becomes non-kiteable. Make sure you don’t make a mistake with your kite as it will be in the surrounding coconut trees instantly.

All this coupled with the attitude of a con-man owner are more than enough reason to look else where when booking your trip to Fiji.

Warren Francis who runs and organizes the Safari Lodge is well disliked amongst locals on the Island. It became apparent to me that once you start talking to the locals in surrounding accommodation there is a higher standard at a much lower cost.

The guys from KBM Kiteboarder Magazine Australia were also more than disappointed with the conditions when they stayed there and Warren will be the first to bag them out to anyone who will listen and make it out like they were at fault even accusing them of destroying his property. Once you stay there even one day you will come to realise that no sane person could be at fault for complaining about the conditions. Please read KBM Australian Volume 5, Issue 4 for their view on the recent stay.

Fiji is a great place to kite with awesome Trade Winds but be WARNED with Warren Francis and Safari Lodge. I would hate to see any one else experience what we and the guys from KBM had to.

Sydney, Australia

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:47 am 
So you didn't like Wozza?

Why don't you guys at Australian Kiteboarder Mag just stop with the bullshit and tell it like it is.

The author of Australian Kiteboarder mag wrote this little piece. aka Billy Boy Crang.

Wozza is a tosser. But posting on the internet under bullshit names makes you guys look like sad wannabe kooks too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:23 am 
Rare Poster

Hey

I went to Fiji and Nan-a-nui ra and this is my feedback.

I LOVE IT.

I didn't stay with the people mentioned, I stayed at McDonalds which is one of the operators on the island. Which is like most of them there.
The kitchen is basic with a couple of gas rings. The electricity is run from generators. The furnishings are miniamal. The choice of food is very basic. It is not 5 star. You drink rain water, have to shower in cold water which is pumped from a well and not to be drunk. However, this is all part of staying on a great island with great people and fantastic kiting. The snorkelling is also good with great diving at hand as well.

I take taxis from the airport in Nadi to the Wharf and then get a pick up from the island. No where is going to be like staying at a 5 star resort and if you are expecting something like that, go elsewhere. Nananu i ra is about wind, warm waters, fun people and plenty of Fiji bitter! Oh, and the curry man that comes across from Rakiraki sells great veg curry! You got to love that.

Oh, please keep posting bad things about the place in general, at least it will keep everyone away from a great spot!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:00 am 
Frequent Poster

Yeah - if you have the guts to come here and post bullSh** then aleast put your real name / real contact details.
How can we believe you arent just somebody with a grudge.

fiji is an aweseome place - but dont expect 5 star hotel treatment when you go out to the islands. Its not that kind of place.
thank god.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:06 am 
Very Frequent Poster

So,the milk was warm !

You big baby ! You should go and stay somewhere where you will be mollycodled ! Like Disneyland !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wow .My experience too 3 years ago with the wife and kids we stayed at Mcdonalds also.great to hear the curry guy is still going strong.He sold out to us every day he came over and he had the rest of the day off sitting under the tree.(I think that's all he does anyway)
I actually found low tide not too bad .the trees are pretty close and I did manage to land mine in a tree but the local lads got it down no charge but they accepted a nights worth of kava .Wouldn't mind some waves tho and the other activities like drifting on the reef was great too on the no wind days.
Kids had a ball loved feeding the fish and swimming with them

Regards

lach

Fluid Sports wrote:
Hey

I went to Fiji and Nan-a-nui ra and this is my feedback.

I LOVE IT.

I didn't stay with the people mentioned, I stayed at McDonalds which is one of the operators on the island. Which is like most of them there.
The kitchen is basic with a couple of gas rings. The electricity is run from generators. The furnishings are miniamal. The choice of food is very basic. It is not 5 star. You drink rain water, have to shower in cold water which is pumped from a well and not to be drunk. However, this is all part of staying on a great island with great people and fantastic kiting. The snorkelling is also good with great diving at hand as well.

I take taxis from the airport in Nadi to the Wharf and then get a pick up from the island. No where is going to be like staying at a 5 star resort and if you are expecting something like that, go elsewhere. Nananu i ra is about wind, warm waters, fun people and plenty of Fiji bitter! Oh, and the curry man that comes across from Rakiraki sells great veg curry! You got to love that.

Oh, please keep posting bad things about the place in general, at least it will keep everyone away from a great spot!

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Did I read this wrong, the guy wasn't trashing Figi just the particular establishment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yeah thats how it sounds to me, he is just pissed at what appears to be a shit place to stay.

Its always good to hear about the bad places to stay as well as the good.

Its funny I am part Fijiian & yet I have never set foot on her soil.

Maybe one day I will look up a relative & visit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:56 am 
Rare Poster

Hey Guys, I was not baging Fiji in anyway had great wind and an awesome time with my mates. Maybe you should read the post before commenting. I am just warning fellow kiteboarders not to stay at this place unless you wanna get ripped of and have promises made to you that the host lies about. For those who dont read the post properly I invite you to go and stay with Wazza at Safari Lodge. Dont say I did'nt warn ya!
Just for the record I have nothing to do with KBM I was there with a few mates not long ago and its now quite obvious what this hoax of a guy is.

[ 9 posts ]