plywood boards Vs. production boards

Forum for kitesurfers
BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Nov 27, 2002 10:49 pm

Another advantage of plyboards is that you can have a huge quiver without the huge expense.... homemade boards are cheap... plywoods not expensive and making a former to get that rocker isn't hard... Allready got that part sorted out... allready have my designs... now I just need the wood...

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:03 pm

I have a mate who is a sponsored rider, and he uses Plywood boards over his 'free' boards because he prefers the feel. He has now made about 6 mboards with different characterisitcs and loves them. Specifically, he loves the flex of the plywood.

I have ridden these boards and they do work great. only thing against them is their weight. But then the choice is $80 for a slightly heavier board with good flex vs $1600 for a production board with no flex. You decide...

There is certainly nothing wrong with these boards. They will not hold you back. My mate is doing huge board-off spins with his ply board no problems.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:42 pm

If your gonna spend the big bucks... you're better off spending it on kites rather than boards... a lot of people I kitesurf with have homemade boards but top of the line kites.

One really good guy in particular has one homemade carbon wakeboard (it's lighter than any production board I've used) and 3 X2s (12, 16 and 20)...

BLOWN AWAY

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Nov 29, 2002 2:44 pm

just made my blank and cut it out, ply is 3 x 4mm shape is very simillar to a pitbull, but this ones getting dubbed "jack russel" as its more aggressive than a pittie.

i'm stoked with it and just need to cast some fins and mount my straps and waway igo to test it.

the first of many i'm sure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”