New Flysurfer video

Forum for kitesurfers
BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Nov 26, 2002 8:52 am

From my experience with the 12.5 and the 15.5, they both come down very smoothly when engaging the saftey system. The pull is minimal, but then I have not tried it in overpowered conditions, so will have to get back to you on that. If they fall smoother or better than other FS kite. Beats me, I knever tried anything except the Psycho, but coming from Inflato's, where we had all gotten rid of our saftey leashes, so that we could spin, I can say that the rotor leash, is both comfortable to use, and suddenly I have this added saftey feature that actually works.

As for the rotor leash and reverse launches, this is no problem, as the knots where the steering lines connect to the leader lines are big enough to use as holding points, without being uncomfortable. It only takes a few seconds to reverse launch these babies anyway. I have also thought about putting the blue cross starp back - I think it will require a second ring device to allow the rotor leash to function, but it should be possible.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:00 am

the blue cross line still exists ont eh psycho's even with the rotor leash, its just that its further a way, the rotor leash works as the standard leash system did.

but i agree with the post, they don't come down as smooth as the warriors or mast airs, due to the depower system they can flap alittle especially when popped at the edge of the wind, my advice would be to try to only release directly overhead.

after all they are a pro kite and if you are still releasing it regularly you shouldn't be on it.

imho

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:30 am

Sq, if in emergency situation you have to wait for the kite to park overhead to release the safety system, you don't need a safety system anymore
Sorry, just kidding
How about releasing to land the kite? I always do like that with my warriors and mastairs

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:57 am

i prefer to run it either leashless, but shackled, but still with the blue line running behind the bar to grab and relaunch.

or with the standard leash as i think the kite comes down better on this standard leash length than with the rotor leash.

but if you want the safety of a full leash and a spinning barset up and the relaunch than the rotor and standard set ups are fine.

Djizasse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Djizasse » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:24 pm

I've never tried a psycho, but my rheas land nice and easy when i let go of the bar
the new rhea depower is like the psycho, when i let go of the bar it slams down and bounces a little.
this has something to do with the depower? is it possible to slow down the rate of descent?

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:42 am

Has anyone tried adjusting the leash length? The Pycho should ball up like the warrior and mastair and decend slowly.

Let me know if it works.

mmunzer
Frequent Poster

Postby mmunzer » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:05 am

If your mastair balls up then there is something wrong with the leash setup. The kite should not ball up. It should come down like the psycho in the video. At least that is how all my flysurfers have been. That is the way I like it myself because there are no tangles or floppy kites. If I am decently powered, I walk/run towards the kite while lowering and it doesn't bounce. Or if I am really overpowered I land it on the side and have somebody help me land it.

If you want the kite to ball up more, move the blue cross line up on the leaders.

Best regards,

Marc
GoExtreme.dk

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:11 am

Hi Marc,
Well when I let go of the bar and let the leash take the kite my Mastair folds its tips in and goes into a ball floating down to the ground slowly on its back. The kite is really nicely depowered like this.
If the kite lands leading edge down, letting go of the bar will make it turn over onto the trailing edge. In very light wind I might have to tug on the leash to get it to do this.
As the kite floats down in a ball I can relaunch before it hits the ground.
You're saying this is wrong???
You saying it's better for the leash to back the kite down fully open and powered like pulling down a bit on the back liens would?
Jo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Jo Macdonald on 2002-11-28 11:14 ]</font>

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sq225917 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:48 am

with the old recomended line lengths the mast airs and warriors should come down folded horizontally along the back of the kite not balled up.

but hey if this works for you and it never spins and spins then cool, leave it like that.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:56 am

Thanks Simon,
Yeah saying balled up maybe I left this open to confusion, what the leash does is make the kite turn over onto its back and fold the tips in until they almost touch so it's really depowered and floats down slow, which means you have time to relaunch before it touches down.
I really like it like this, no tangles, no spinning ball and if I let the kite touch down it does it really softly.
Jo

Return to “Kitesurfing”