Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Good bye gustiness and being overpowered

Postby slingshotucf » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:13 am

I've been playing with the 12 meter Crossbow for the past few days. Wind range for lower end is a little better than the 16.5 Contra. The high end, I haven't found yet but I had about 20 knots today and was never over powered. The kite absorbs gusts. I can ride it in side off winds without going down wind at all. I haven't had any of that feeling of riding and all of a sudden going warp speed and having to go down wind to slow my self. The kite seems to relaunch itself. If you want one kite, the 12 is it, just get a big board (160) and a small board, you'll be set. The wave riding is also great, no getting yanked off waves. You can bring the kite up quickly and just push out then dive it hard and you get the power you need when you want it. The kite will also give you extra lift when you jump and then pull the bar in all the way. The only down side to the kite is when riding in 10 mph, there is a lot of bar pressure since you have to ride pulled in on the bar the whole time, but this will be eliminated with the production bar which will have the power lock on it. This kite will get criticism as all companies do, but one of the criticism will be the jumping, it takes a few jumps to get used to the difference of timing, but once you get it right, you'll boost higher than traditional lei's and have longer hang time, the kite acts like a paraglider. Those of you who have learned on foils will be able to adjust to it immediatly. Also for couples trying to get into the sport. The 12 has so much wind range, my friend was on the 12 at 170 lbs and then his wife of 100 lbs rode the same 12 in the same wind with the same 125 cm board. Good bye classic kites, hello to what kiting should feel like. Thanks Cabrinha.

zutnop
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good bye gustiness and being overpowered

Postby zutnop » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:26 am

slingshotucf wrote:I've been playing with the 12 meter Crossbow for the past few days. Wind range for lower end is a little better than the 16.5 Contra.
Hey, please comment more on this. Do you really suggest (by comparing both of those kites in similar conditions) that 12m Crossbow can replace 16.5 Contra and even allow you to ride in less wind (same board, same rider weight)? Cabrinha's modest windrage chart tells a completely different story, they suggest that 12m Crossbow is rideable from where the 16.5m Contra has it's sweetspot.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:04 am

no more powerlock on the bar???

if not, then it needs one fo sure! Why? because you arms will get tired, since due to its efficient depower you can't fly it on a stopper ball, so you have to pull it all the time!

Greets
Toby

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:28 am

Is that true about the powerlock? That would make all the difference. I wonder if they can geet the safetly and massive depower, but still combine with a powerlock bar? That would be awesome.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:48 am

there is a lot of bar pressure since you have to ride pulled in on the bar the whole time, but this will be eliminated with the production bar which will have the power lock on it.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 am

Yeah I saw that, but wanted to know if it could be confirmed for sure, as the Cabrinha website doesn't mention it from what I can see and talks about a different system.

By putting the text in bold are you confirming or just repeating what the other dude said?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:33 am

from cabrinha web sites:
Attachments
crossbowcontrolsystem.jpg
crossbowcontrolsystem.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 2749 times

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:36 am

Just repeating. :D

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:53 am

Sorry i looked at it again and i also cant see powerlock. They say just powerlock compatile. I dont know what they mean.

vide
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vide » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:59 am

Cool thanks :bye:

Return to “Reviews”