Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where can I kite safely in South Jersey(STONE HARBOUR)??

Forum for kitesurfers
blazer1
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Where can I kite safely in South Jersey(STONE HARBOUR)??

Postby blazer1 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:07 pm

Hello,
I have vacationed in Stone Harbour for the last 25 years, However I haven't been since 2001. I started kiting in 2001 b/c I live on Palm Beach, FL. I was wondering if anyone out there can recomend a safe place to kite near Stone Harbour/Wildwood NJ......And if you can let me know what kind of wind to expect. I always enjoy new spots, and meeting new kiters from around the world. I took several lessond from a certified instructor in Delray Beach in 2001, and have kited on a regular basis since then. Safety of others is always my goal when kiting...and of course to have lots of fun. I appreciate any replies to this post.

dizank
Rare Poster

Postby dizank » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:51 pm

If you want to kite the ocean there's plenty of it around. As far as non-ocean riding the most popular spot is Lakes Bay is West AC. It works on S, SE, SW. ikitesurf.com has a windmeter there and it usally blows harder than the ocean.

bob wendler
Medium Poster

Postby bob wendler » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:30 pm

I think Lakes Bay is a better place to learn to kite and much safer. Sorry locals, I know the place is getting packed. It has the best winds in the area and you will not get washed out the inlets. If you live in Stone Harbor, it is worth the quick drive north to Lakes Bay. Stone Harbor and N. Wildwood inlet can be good if the tide and wind is working for you but that rarely happens. It always seems to be the tide or wind direction that is not in SH or N. Wildwoods favor. Welcome back to S. Jersey but please keep in mind that kiteboarding and NJ's strict attitude and eagerness to ban things do not go well together. They make $$$$ of of people burning on the beach and getting busted partying, not from kiters.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:22 am

Blazer,

Contact Jim at Extreme Windsurfing (http://www.extremewindsurfing.com/) to get directions to kite point at Lakes Bay (Behind the Bay One Office building off of Black Horse Pike just down from Extreme's shop). The site is active but not that crowded. Always room for considerate visitors. As dizank said stick to south component winds. The iwindsurf people are getting better at forecasting for this site. Good sailing

Dave

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster

Postby gipseysurfer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:53 pm

a closer option came up on the NEKS yahoo forum-122nd street in stone harbour.

this is the first beach north of wildwood across the inlet.

this is a curved beach facing SE and South.

to get from stone harbour to lakes bay could be at least a 45 minute or longer hike in summer traffic.

if you're comfortable in the ocean there are tons of access points in wildwood, just south of stone harbour. mind the life guards they normally go off duty at 5. good luck one of the guys has ridden 6 out of the last 7 days. as far as kite size goes the most common sizes are from 10 to 16 with the prevailing wind blowing 15 to 22 knots.

barry

FriendOrFo
Medium Poster

Postby FriendOrFo » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:00 pm

Come to Long Beach Island.
One of the best kiteboarding spots on the east coast. 18miles of sandy beach ocean riding and a huge bay that is mostly waist deep.
Island Surf and Sail even has a kiteboarding park in the bay with sliders and jumps!!!
The wind at LBI is ALWAYS THE STRONGEST in the region!!! you can check ikitesurf....usually 5knts higher and sometimes more.
Much better than Lakes Bay, though the spots are similar.

give the shop a call if you have questions or are coming down:
:bye: islandsurf-sail.com 609-494-5553

p.s. THEY HAVE AN ENTIRE BAR IN THE SHOP.....BEER ON TAP....LIQUOR OUT THE ASS....best shop in the world(just come and see)!!!!!

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:02 pm

Island Surf and Sail is by far one of the best kite locations on the east coast. Continuously visited by such pro riders as Shannon Best, Cameron Dietrick, Brad Lange, Jaimie Herraiz, Ben Wilson, Jason Sleazak, Sam Bell and more. It's got a full on slider park in waist deep water with a 35' funbox, 6' high kicker, and 40' A-frame slider. Awesome winds and the ISS crew is professional, courteous and fun as hell.

Lakes Bay is a great place to ride also but just make sure the shit tratment plant down the road didn't backwash. Kind of stinks sometimes. Also make sure in the bays if you are learning to wear booties because of clam and oyster shells.

ISS is the home of one of the BEST team riders. He is also the Head Coach at ISS and a coach at Real Kiteboarding. (Noel Jambor) Give them a call or stop by.

islandsurf-sail.com
(609)494-5553

gipseysurfer
Frequent Poster

Re: Where can I kite safely in South Jersey(STONE HARBOUR)??

Postby gipseysurfer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:09 pm

i understand the shops are trying to promote themselves, but the guy asked for the following :

I was wondering if anyone out there can recomend a safe place to kite near Stone Harbour/Wildwood NJ......[/quote]

does it make sense to give this guy beaches 39 to 70 miles from where he is staying? the traffic absolutely sukks in the summer and 39 miles can sometimes take 2 hours.

as i said in my original post there is kiting in southern jersey in wildwood and stone harbor so no need to put yourself in 2 to 4 hours of traffic to get your fix.

yes uncle neil lbi is a good spot to ride, but you don't mention the tons of windsurfers at the slider spot and the 2 to 3 parking spot capacity at james street.

barry

Green Head
Medium Poster

Postby Green Head » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:17 pm

good point gipsey, this is why i got into with uncle in the first place.

lbi is cool and all that, but the guy asked about stone harbour?!

there are many good riding spots in jersey, and for that matter the east

coast.

i'm sure this guy would love to fight traffic to get to lbi.

he will need to drink in the shop after that!

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:32 am

Greenhead! My buddy. Long time no see. Let him decide where he wants to ride. All I'm doing is posting a good spot. He says he appriciates all posts so give it a break. We are the next island up from Lakes Bay. Not far at all. You can fit at least 10 cars at James St. and I never mentioned that place. There are other places to ride anyway. And the little thing about the windsurfers, sorry, I forgot that lakes bay has no windsurfers at all. OOOOOPS! My bad.

Return to “Kitesurfing”