sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

stephen hawkins.

Postby sq225917 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:50 pm

full of bright ideas but a bit of a spacker ?

shome mishtake shurely.

(one for the private eye riders...)

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Sea&Sun » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:25 pm

Who is that guy? Was in a kiting accident or somethig?

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 pm

One of the greatest theoretical minds in astrophysics. He was hard at it tyring to combine tenants of Quantum mechanics with contrasting theories of Relativity into a grand unified theory to explain the universe's workings in a micro and macro sense. Lots of cool ideas. String theory, parrallel universes forming from stems in black holes then popping free..blarh, blarh.. stuff..etc..
Wasn't a kite injury. More electrical activity in his brain than most large cities...Sharp cookie.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:40 pm

Although I have no idea what a spacker is I'll bite and reply to this (I have no idea why);
...in the current paradigm, the idea of time travel, as far as I understand it basically developed as a way of accommodating a theory, not because it is neccessarily true. It partly stems from the fact that time in it self is a man made property, and that we cannot explain it.

I am little bit interested in time travel right now (getting older) :-)
There are two problems as I see it;
First how to do it.
For instance, by going through wormholes, and unless the worm hole bends back at itself, you will not meet your younger self, thus it will "only" be a time travel to the future and consist of bending the current time so that you age slower than the people you left / meet. (wormholes bend back at themselves but that is not time travel in it self (right?)).

I guess travelling into the future would be possible if you were to travel into outer space and return, moving close to light speed, you could travel thousands of years into the Earth's future, however that is not as interesting to me as travelling back in time.

The ever developing paradox of changing the past. A new theory has been developed that is supposed to be consistent with the theory of quantum mechanincs; http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/quant-ph/pdf/0506/0506027.pdf that I guess can explain it by saying that time travel to the past is deterministic, and that in the past free will does not exisit...instead of changing the past, you will change as to accommodate for what has happened thus not leading to a alternate present. The authors claim that this is not inconsistent with free will because quantum mechanically you will only see the those alternatives consistent with the world you left behind as possible...In my opinion this is very close to not having free will..you can choose between this option or..nope that ths only option.

It seems to me that coming up with a theory like that is only accommodating the lack of an all inclusive theory that actually captures physics..I mean we have two different incompatible theories for how the universe functions...that just not right...

Gahh shit sorry guys...
Alex

Hel2bDoct0r!
Rare Poster

Postby Hel2bDoct0r! » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:50 pm

WTF

does any of this shit have to do with anything

STFU

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:59 pm

Hel2bDoct0r! wrote:WTF

does any of this shit have to do with anything

STFU
now why would you comment on it if are not interested in it?
...and thanks for putting the topic back to top :-)

a

tiger20
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tiger20 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:45 pm

I think they are talking about stephen's pic in that Windwing footer below....

Cirrus
Medium Poster

Postby Cirrus » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:49 pm

And for the love of GOD can you at least spell his name right? If you're going to insult somebody to whom you have the comparitive mental capacity of a retarded brick, please at least get his name right:

It's STEPHEN HAWKING numbnuts :roll:

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 pm

that's right, you live a million mile away and i spent five years living three doors away from him in cambridge, i must be wrong.....

it might be stephen hawking when he's writing brief history of time, but when he's advertising kites its stephen 'hawkin'...

geddit,

numbnuts.

surf-turkey

Postby surf-turkey » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 pm

Since you were neighbors at one time, maybe you should give him a call and see if he can help you sort out the whole exploding hellfish thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”