Forum for kitesurfers
Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Kite Shop Review

Postby Sea&Sun » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:11 pm

Here is my review on one cool kite shop: H2Air Kiteboarding, Dewey Beach, DE

First thing that makes this kite shop great is the owner being an early pioneer of kiting and being a kiteboard addict. The guy was kiting a long time before he ever thought about opening a shop. He seemed to live at the beach in his RV for years. If you go to his shop’ there are plenty seats around and kiters from all over the world telling stories, talking about funny things that happened that day, talking about gear, and you know what else. Great DVDs are playing on nice televisions and projection screens. He always has something to drink on hand. Computers are running with the latest wind reports. There are nice views of tourists chicks walking in front of the shop and nice chicks in the shop. It is a great place to hang out.
The shop only sells kiteboarding items. Many times I tried to get this guy to sell clothing because I knew he could make a lot of money from it, but he doesn’t want to have anything in the shop that’s not related to kiting. This is one very pure kiting shop.
If you have equipment that needs repair, the shop experts will find a way to fix it. They have any part you could ever need. There are racks and racks of accessories. The shop gets the latest equipment and gives great deals on what it is being replaced. Outdated equipment will not be found here. Lots and lots of kites are in stock and there are walls and walls of boards, racks of wetsuits, walls of harnesses, etc. Damn it’s so nice!!
The RV and their jet skis are always at the local spot. If a newbie ends up downwind, they get him. If you’re stuck out there, they get you. If you’re the first one on the beach, they launch you. If you’re the last one in, they land you. If you lose your board, they find it. The jetskis are always ready! If your pump breaks, they lend you one. If you want to demo a board, they give it you. They are always helping and giving good tips.
They organize events that help clean up the local area and keep relations nice with the Department of Natural Resources. It keeps the beach open and free of bans. They organize great kiting events in the area like The Red Bull Qualifier and lots of demo tours. They have a web site that covers everything and it is easy to use.
This is what I think a great kite shop is all about. Please tell us about your local kite shop.

Warren Fuller
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

H2Air

Postby Warren Fuller » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:30 pm

Hey Sea&Sun,

You nailed it. I can't think of anything to add to your review. I had a 2004 Slingshot Fuel 15 LE bladder start leaking around a valve and they were able to replace it under warranty. Service is their middle name. Plus it's just nice to hang out with everyone around the RV at the beach.

:thumb:

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Re: A Kite Shop Review

Postby vietkiter » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:33 pm

Sea&Sun wrote:The shop only sells kiteboarding items. Many times I tried to get this guy to sell clothing because I knew he could make a lot of money from it, but he doesn’t want to have anything in the shop that’s not related to kiting. This is one very pure kiting shop.
Nothing wrong with helping out your local pal... I am sure it's a great shop... but at least make sure facts aren't embarassingly wrong?

Are these the new impact vest for men? Very purty.

http://www.h2air.com/2ss_girlsclothing2.html

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Re: A Kite Shop Review

Postby Sea&Sun » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:43 pm

vietkiter wrote:
Sea&Sun wrote:The shop only sells kiteboarding items. Many times I tried to get this guy to sell clothing because I knew he could make a lot of money from it, but he doesn’t want to have anything in the shop that’s not related to kiting. This is one very pure kiting shop.
Nothing wrong with helping out your local pal... I am sure it's a great shop... but at least make sure facts aren't embarassingly wrong?

Are these the new impact vest for men? Very purty.

http://www.h2air.com/2ss_girlsclothing2.html
Your correct vietkiter they do have a very small amount of clothing from kite companies. I was trying to get him to sell lots of clothing not related to kiting and they wouldn't do it. But this is one pure kite shop. Let us know about your local kite shop.

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:57 pm

@Sea&Sun... you are lucky if you have good local support... most of us don't have that option... The other issue is selection. Most shops only carry a few brands.

Also, out of curiosity... does the shop closes during winter?

CaymanWind
Medium Poster

Postby CaymanWind » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:09 pm

Not my local shop but I have just ordered a new X-shooter board through Kiteproshop.com. The service has been excellent with all my e-mails being answered very quickly and professionally. I usually deal with Extreme Kites in Florida and they are simply awesome - fast friendly service and the best prices.

Cheers
Ryan

CaymanWind
Medium Poster

Postby CaymanWind » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:10 pm

Not my local shop but I have just ordered a new X-shooter board through Kiteproshop.com. The service has been excellent with all my e-mails being answered very quickly and professionally. I usually deal with Extreme Kites in Florida and they are simply awesome - fast friendly service and the best prices.

Cheers
Ryan

Sea&Sun
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sea&Sun » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:19 pm

vietkiter wrote:@Sea&Sun... you are lucky if you have good local support... most of us don't have that option... The other issue is selection. Most shops only carry a few brands.

Yes we are lucky it makes things a lot more easy and convenient. They have a good selection. Last winter they were closed during the week but if you contact them they will take care of you. No one kites around here during Jan. & Feb unless you get a warm day above 60F. Last year lots of ice.
I am surprised we don't have more kiters telling us about their local shops.

uncleneil
Frequent Poster

Postby uncleneil » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:38 pm

Vietkiter quotes:
you are lucky if you have good local support... most of us don't have that option... The other issue is selection. Most shops only carry a few brands.

Vietkiter, You do have a local shop that supports you and everyone else from N. New Jersey to Cape May and some even further. Island Surf and Sail in Brant Beach, NJ (LBI). We are open all year long and carry all brands of kites (foils or LEI). We also stock gear for windsurfing, snowboarding, snowkiteing, kayaking, surfing, wakeboarding, and freeskating(windsurfing on ice). We deal with all kiteboarding companies and can get you anything you want. We have a hugh selection of clothing also from Burton, Gravis, UN, Neilpryde, Jetpilot, Dakine, and more. Helmets from Gath and Protech. Burton and Flo snowgear and so much more.

So if anyone looking for support, lessons, gear, or just a place to come relax and hang, stop by and see us.

PS - H2Air and Dave are great people too. So don't hesitate call either of us for your kiting needs. I have been friends with Dave for @5-6 yrs. and his commitment to this sport has mad kiteboarding what it is today.

islandsurf-sail.com
(609)494-5553

Return to “Kitesurfing”