Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Board

Postby Toesidereefer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:52 am

The yellow one I made for a customer it's a 122 x 38. The orange one is mine. It's a 131 x 37.5. D-cell, epoxy vacuum bag, carbon/kevlar, and bi-ax glass. I make them for the surf and yes I toe the fins in. It just works better.
Attachments
000_0320.JPG
000_0320.JPG (154.85 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
000_0323.JPG
Rail shape
000_0323.JPG (124.88 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:14 am

Nice,
What does the top look like?

Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster

Postby Toesidereefer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:38 am

Thanks for the compliment! :( Like the bottom. It has been a very rewarding experience learning the shaping and glassing. The painting on the other hand is a royal pain in the ass. I can see why most people are going to sublimation and ABS style rails, you don't have to paint. The catch is the rails, so far I've only seen underground do an ABS shaped rail that I'd want to try. All the rest ride like shit in the waves imho. I'm getting tired of making M&M's so my next batch I'm going to be giving painted graphics a shot. At least I'm going to have a logo made.
Attachments
000_0321.JPG
000_0321.JPG (194.37 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:11 pm

i really like the look of your boards. if i could, everything i own would be logo-less, unless of course they're supporting me in some way or another, then they deserve for their name to be all over my gear and myself. i'd say just keep the boards mainly blank except for small logos on the bottom or deck which you can do quite well with a stencil.

here are a couple, the blue one is mine (appologies for the picture quality; taken with a webcam) and the other is of a freinds.
Attachments
rusto fat stencil.jpg
stencil of a spraypaint tip.
rusto fat stencil.jpg (51.5 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
stencil-eyes.jpg
might be kind of hard to tell, but the stencil is of my eyes with my shirt pulled over my nose. acrylic on vinyl(record)
stencil-eyes.jpg (5.58 KiB) Viewed 2006 times

Toesidereefer
Frequent Poster

Postby Toesidereefer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:33 pm

Thank you for your comments. I'm really putting all my efforts into shaping and glassing for now. Where I live you can permanently lose a board pretty easily, so I'm going for the high visibility thing. I tried to do a logo as a stencil but my skills are very poor when it comes to art. I'm thinking for my next board I'm going to do it white and then let my kids go to town with some markers.

devin
Frequent Poster

Postby devin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:46 pm

haha, i thought about that too...except not my kids, my auntie and uncle's, i'm 16. i would definatly rock something with dinosaurs and rainbows on it..

.devin

when doing stencils, it's always important to use some kind of spray adhesive between the stencil and the board, so no loose edges pop up and cause underspray, makes the stencil look really nasty. i do all my stencils with the aid of my computer. adobePS7 does the trick, it only takes about 5 minutes to tinker with the brightness/contrast then put it through the filters. the tough part is cutting the stencil out. just to make things easy for myself all my stencils are 8 1/2x11 or smaller so they can fit on computer paper, then i just take overhead transparencies (acetate) and tape it to the paper with the stencil on it. i think the one of my eyes took me about 5 hours in total to cut, but i've painted more than a dozen and sold them to friends and local art galleries for a good price. if you want to know anything else about stenciling feel free to PM me, or check out http://www.stencilrevolution.com for a lot of info.

Return to “Gear Builders”