John Holzhall
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Maui Cross Bow Demo

Postby John Holzhall » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 pm

Cabrinha Cross Bow

The guys at Cabrinha put on another Maui Cross Bow Demo, this time in classic Maui trade winds of 30 knots.

The demo was at the Camp Grounds, which sits in a bigger wind shadow than Kite Beach. The first thing I noticed was that intermediate riders seemed a lot more comfortable and safer, especially on the launch. Watching intermediate riders launch in a wind shadow and go into 30-knot winds is stressful…not so bad with the Cross Bow.

I took the 9, the same kite I rode the week before in 16-knot winds. Immediately, I felt jumping is more about controlling the leading and trailing edge than about sending the kite from one side of the window to the other. After riding with new Cabrinha rider Shaun Richmond, I saw the future of big air…he blew by the 40’ mark…on the Cross Bow, he will probably be the first guy to land a 10 second jump.

The down side
With out a doubt the grip pressure required was brutal. After 8 minutes my forearms were exploding…after 13 minutes, I had to come off the water.
There are a lot of quick fixes; a fixed harness line would be the easiest. Obviously this would take away the instant depower, but any advanced rider should be able to get quickly in and out of the harness.

Color-coding?
Yellow left…black right…it is safe to say that there is absolutely no communication amongst manufacturers. Standards, they don’t exist. This remains the sadest joke in kiteboarding. At least the Cross Bow bar, lines and bridles are color-coded and connection specific.

Bottom line on the kite, I’d have to ride it with a fixed harness…

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:43 pm

or simply put on the powerlock which will be available in a few weeks I guess! Thats easier in use than a harnes loop.

Can u say anything about flying the xbow 9 in 30 knots? Much depower left?
What size other kite would u have used if u didnot have crossbow?

thx

John Holzhall
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

cross bow

Postby John Holzhall » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:27 pm

Plenty of depower in 30 knots...I ride Method Kites, a brand made for my books and DVDs...I would have been on a 10 on 19 meter lines...

Return to “Reviews”