Which Twin Tip

Forum for kitesurfers
Flysurfer_in _DC
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flysurfer_in _DC » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:05 am

I am currently riding a directional board (Hanacrew 6ft), and I would like to get into the twin tips.
I weight 72kg and I have a Free Air 7.1 and a North 12 (I should get it at any time..)
What should be the right size and what should I look for in a twin tip?

Any suggestion for TT to start?
Thanks
Flysurfer_in _DC

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Tue Mar 26, 2002 4:29 pm

If you like Hana Crew's quality they also make great TT. Would definetly stay on the smaller sizes since you already have a directional (better for light wind). around 5.5 or 5.6 either the TT or the asimmetrical they call double vision (5.6 Ft).
I can tell you I used them for over a year and I was completely satisfied with their product.
Of course you have several other choices,but this is certainly a good one.
enzo

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Mar 27, 2002 8:48 pm

You already can start with a board of about 150 cm.
I just heard about a story that a girl and a guy, who were able to stay upwind with their directionals and then they got a 144 cm TT board to try it. After 15 min they didn't want to let go of the boards since they had a great time on it.
And this board you can ride also when you are a pro riding at a worldcup!

So don't get a board too big.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 2:48 am

The smaller size Wipika Olry (175cm) has been an impressive board for riders in my area. It cuts upwind like nobody's business and launches great. Last year's model had some probs with suspect durability but Wipika beefed it up this year. Compares favorably over the new Naish tt bi-directional (IMO).

[URL] http://www.wipikakiteboarding.com/w_fla ... ster2.html[/]

kieran
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kieran » Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:59 am

i've been using a 150 e-board (previously known as extreme) direction tt on and off for 12 months, and have found it to have good upwind performance and well made. personally, i wouldn't use a direction tt over 150. e-boards are made here in Australia and i'm not sure whether they're available O/S. You may like to have a look at their website which can be found at http://www.e-boards.com.au

see ya

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:34 am

The boards look ok.
This shape should work.
I would recommend a board like this.
They work even for advanced beginners.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:38 pm

Hey Flysurfer~ When I made a similar transition from a 6' 6" directional board to a twin tip, here's what I ran across. Twin tips come in directional and bi-directional formats. You must decide which is for you. I went with the bi-directional. Then I had to decide what wind range I wanted to ride the new board in. Since I already had the big directional board for light wind days, I could have gone with a smallish bi-directional board. However, where I ride, we do have a fair amount of light wind days. I decided that I wanted a bi-directional that I could use as my everyday board and not have to go back and forth between boards all the time. I found a used 175 Olry for $500 and have been very happy with it. Note that the new Wipika Olry boards are a little shorter at 165. I will still use my big directional board for downwind coastal runs, super light wind and a few other things. So now I have a big and a medium sized board. At some point I'll add a shorter board (bi or wake)to round out the quiver. Fun buying new gear, huh? Bet you're stoked about your new North kite coming. Let us know how you like it. Good luck~

phree

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:43 pm

There's both an Orly 175 and a Hana Crew TT in the classifieds at iwindsurf.com. The H.C. is in NJ - pretty close to you as used gear gets.

I hope you got a blue North. Mine's Lime/white/black we're close enough to maybe someday get confused.

There's also a ton of used gear in Hatteras. You might be able to actually see 'the one'.

Those E-boards and WT's are mighty tasty. Graphically, they have a whole different look than the over-the-top european/haiwaiian boards.

Return to “Kitesurfing”