Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Breeze
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Breeze » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:42 am

cool. thanks for the info.

The chicken loop length and being able to unhook confortably are my main worries. Have you had any experience doing anything unhooked with it???

I haven't riden it so i am only speculating by simple conceptual understanding that once you unhook you are going to be really powered.

When are they coming out with the power lock option???

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:45 am

Rockstar wrote: I think that the crux of Zenwinds review is summed up by the line,complete with expletive:

"Way too fucking expensive"

He is just trying to find something negative because he does not want to spend the money!

Just keep on your old kites and save a packet.

Note to Zen and others: If you dont want to spend a lot of cash,dont try kites that you can't afford! Whats the point ?
Your post is quite amusing Rockstar. I always get a kick out of this type of armchair analysis. Sorry if I hurt your feelings by giving my opinion and my honest account of the Crossbow.

FYI Rockstar: Money is not an issue for me at all. I spend plenty of cash on kites each year, so there is no motivation for me to find something negative about your beloved Crossbow. In fact I was hoping it would be my next kite purchase. I am very value oriented, and Dacron is Dacron, no matter how much research has gone into it. In fact there is less Dacron in an Xbow over standard C-shape kites so theoretically it should cost less. It’s a great marketing plan Cabrinha has. Sell the kite as the value of two or three kites and get more dough for each one. Hey if you can convince people the kite is worth the dough, go for it. It still doesn't change my opinion that they are way to expensive. Try to sell your used Xbow in a year and let’s see how much money you get for it. My prediction is that a used year old Xbow will sell for the same price as other used kites costing much less, which only makes for pissing away more money. If you are down with that approach have at it.

Your "Note" also smells of a financial interest you must have in the Xbow. Dealer? Distributor? Team Rider? Other wise what the hell do you care what other people do?

Anyhow I'm not interested in a pissing contest with you. I will just say “you winâ€

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:18 am

Zenwind,

No need to keep flogging a dead horse !

Why did you bring Dacron into it ?

You got that from SQ ? A lot of dough for a Dacron kite ? When you can get a Hellfish for a couple hundred more ?

Sure it may be a bit pricey,but as I said ,no one is twisting your arm to buy one. This is cutting edge,for those that are not worried about what it may or may not be worth in a year or second hand.

Just wait,of course the price will be a lot less in a year,or so,or when the season is over. What ever.

In the meantime,you can pick up a good deal on a Best kite. (I'm betting that you already have them!)

You didn't hurt my feelings at all. However ,judging by the length of your response,and the general tone,I seem to have hit a nerve with you. You are obviously a tightass!!

Good luck to you,you wont end up poor like me!

I actually thought your review was quite interesting.
Especially the part about the "vague" feeling. You may have a point.Of course the Crossbow may not suit everybody.

I will double check. I like to know where the kite is as well.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:57 pm

Breeze wrote:cool. thanks for the info.

The chicken loop length and being able to unhook confortably are my main worries. Have you had any experience doing anything unhooked with it???

I haven't riden it so i am only speculating by simple conceptual understanding that once you unhook you are going to be really powered.

When are they coming out with the power lock option???
I haven't done much with the kite... still waiting for mine to be delivered. But when unhooked, it's still similar to any other kite in that you will be fully powered depending on where you have the depower strap set. Pull the depower strap so that you have the amount of power you want when unhooked.

Powerlock fitting is supposed to be out next month.

Breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Breeze » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:42 pm

With old kites, there wasn't as much range so when you did unhook, the power wasn't much different. With the crossbow, given the told range abilities, won't it be alot more powered when you unhook?

Does the crossbow powerstrap work under the principles of the x-bow 2:1 pulley system or by old standards of depower.What I am trying to ask is, how much de-power does the crossbow powerstrap have on its own? (a new x-bow amount or the same as kites before)

ZenWind
Frequent Poster

Postby ZenWind » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:27 pm

Zenwind,

No need to keep flogging a dead horse !
Flogging dead horses can be recreational when the is no wind!!
Why did you bring Dacron into it ?

You got that from SQ ? A lot of dough for a Dacron kite ? When you can get a Hellfish for a couple hundred more ?
I did not read SQ's post about the Crossbow, so my apologies to SQ if I poched a simliar thought pattern about there being less Dacron in a Crossbow. As far as the Hellfish is concerned I did try one those too, and posted my take on that kite. A good fast kite with some construction problems. The white Cuben fiber is pretty ugly to me on the production models. A bit too high aspect for my taste, but overall it is a truely high performance design. I really like the light bar input needed to turn the kite. If the Hellfish had bomber construction, and the Cuben Fiber turned out to be way stronger then Dacron I probably would have purchased one, even though they cost "way too fucking much" also.
Sure it may be a bit pricey,but as I said ,no one is twisting your arm to buy one. This is cutting edge,for those that are not worried about what it may or may not be worth in a year or second hand.
You seem worried about someone expressing a simple point of view. Yes the Crossbow is pricey, and I never thought anyone was twisting my arm. I just expressed a point of view that seems to have threatend something in you. You have your opinion and I have mine. One is not right and the other one is not wrong; they are simply different for two different people. That is called peace brother.
Just wait,of course the price will be a lot less in a year,or so,or when the season is over. What ever.

In the meantime,you can pick up a good deal on a Best kite. (I'm betting that you already have them!)
Yeah well you see you and I aren't so different. If the Crossbow had been all that I was looking for in a kite I would have spent the dough even though it still costs way too much. I just have to have the lastest equipment that is going to improve my enjoyment in kiteboarding. It is a sickness; an addiction for sure.

Not really interested in the Best kites right now, and you would loose your bet on me owning one. The Hellfish has potential, but they need to get it right first.
You didn't hurt my feelings at all. However ,judging by the length of your response,and the general tone,I seem to have hit a nerve with you. You are obviously a tightass!!

Good luck to you,you wont end up poor like me!
No I have no beef with you Rockstar. I just found it amusing that you thought you could figure me out by reading a review of mine. As far as my "tight ass" in concerned; well I like it being tight, and the ladies seem to enjoy it too.
I actually thought your review was quite interesting.
Especially the part about the "vague" feeling. You may have a point. Of course the Crossbow may not suit everybody.

I will double check. I like to know where the kite is as well.
Well thanks for your vote of interest in my review. I have no affiliation with any kite company or products. I just like what I like, and purchase equipment accordingly. I'm sure that some people will just love the Crossbow and be very happy with it. For me it is not the perfect kite.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster

Postby randykato » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:23 am

Breeze wrote:With old kites, there wasn't as much range so when you did unhook, the power wasn't much different. With the crossbow, given the told range abilities, won't it be alot more powered when you unhook?

Does the crossbow powerstrap work under the principles of the x-bow 2:1 pulley system or by old standards of depower.What I am trying to ask is, how much de-power does the crossbow powerstrap have on its own? (a new x-bow amount or the same as kites before)
The powerstrap, AFAIK, is comparable to conventional kites in the amount of length it can change the front lines (I didn't really use it when I flew the XBow, and it's covered in neoprene so you don't really see it).

It's working on the front lines, so the pulleys on the rear lines aren't increasing the effect (though there might be something going on with the pulleys on the bridle that might give a little increase). I think that pulling the powerstrap x inches won't have as much effect as sheeting the bar out x inches.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:54 am

Does the crossbow powerstrap work under the principles of the x-bow 2:1 pulley system or by old standards of depower.What I am trying to ask is, how much de-power does the crossbow powerstrap have on its own? (a new x-bow amount or the same as kites before)[/quote]

[quote="randykato"
I think that pulling the powerstrap x inches won't have as much effect as sheeting the bar out x inches.[/quote]

Not so.
The depower on the crossbow is doubled by the pulley at the end of the bar because as you shorten the front line, you also lengthen the back line because the two are connected around the pulley. This applies to sheeting the bar or moving the adjustment on the powerline.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster

Postby randykato » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:01 pm

Oops! Thanks for the correction, Ronnie.

I just looked at the bar again and the powerstrap is below where the steering line leaders attach, so you do get the same increased depower ratio using the strap as you do through sheeting.

Return to “Reviews”