Forum for kitesurfers
westcoastkiteboarding
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Response From a Take the Tech Out Tester

Postby westcoastkiteboarding » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:47 am

After reading the current posts about The Kiteboarder's "Take the Tech Out" Light Wind Test, I feel compelled to respond. My name is Paul Lang, I own West Coast Kiteboarding, and you can see my picture and read my profile in the article.

Before the test, there was a lot of negativity floating around about how unfair the test would be. Shortly after the test, more negativity because nobody was saying anything and because there was no "live video uplink." Now there is a lot of negativity surrounding the fact that there was no clear winner. Even people who acknowledge they have not yet read the article are talking smack!

Here's my view on the whole thing, as one of the testers. There was no clear winner in the magazine because it would have been impossible to choose one. It was extremely eye opening to me to see the difference in impressions the same kite would leave on different riders. Yes, there were kites that I liked better than others. However, my favorite kites would end up being someone else's least favorites! My least favorites could have been someone elses favorites! Riding style and kiter preference determines peoples' favorite kite, not judges. There truly was no kite that was either loved or hated by all testers!

What if we had declared a winner? That winning kite would work really well for people who's preference leans towards a certain style of kite. Those people would be very stoked. Of course, there would be the people who tend to prefer a different kind of kite, and they would be pissed. What if you ran to the store to buy the winning kite, but then didn't like it because it didn't quite fit your style? There is no way to make everybody happy.

I urge everyone to read (or re-read) the article. First, read the profiles about all the testers. Pick a tester you feel your riding style matches closely with. THEN read that rider's comments about the different kites. Our comments in the mag are our real comments, recorded just after testing the kite. You must realize that everyone's opinions are different, so not everybody will like the same thing.

Hopefully The Kiteboarder's article will help some people choose a light wind kite, but there is no substitute to actually trying the kites yourself. I feel lucky that I was able to test almost 20 kites over the three days of the test. Besides reading the article, talk to shops, borrow a buddy's kite, go to the beach and talk to different people flying different kites. Please, get on the water and have fun. Do not sit here on the forum spreading negativity.

And by the way, I had fun on every kite I tested. I can honestly was that there were no bad kites at the test. Get on the water and spread the stoke of kiteboarding, not the tech'd out negativity.

Paul Lang
paul@westcoastkiteboarding.com
http://www.westcoastkiteboarding.com

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:52 am

Good to know you enjoyed the cool-aid.

selassie
Frequent Poster

Re: Response From a Take the Tech Out Tester

Postby selassie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:18 am

westcoastkiteboarding wrote:What if we had declared a winner? That winning kite would work really well for people who's preference leans towards a certain style of kite. Those people would be very stoked. Of course, there would be the people who tend to prefer a different kind of kite, and they would be pissed. What if you ran to the store to buy the winning kite, but then didn't like it because it didn't quite fit your style? There is no way to make everybody happy.

well lets have it, how did the speed vs. hellfish go?? you say you have favored some kites over others in the test.. which kite was the winner in your opinion?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:29 am

westcoastkiteboarding honestly states very clear that the test is SUBJECTIVE
and it has various and different feeling to different riders.

Lets bring the TECH IN !

I want tech! , I want tech! , I want tech! 8)

selassie
Frequent Poster

Re: Response From a Take the Tech Out Tester

Postby selassie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:41 am

westcoastkiteboarding wrote:Yes, there were kites that I liked better than others.
wtf

cant you even say which ones you prefer :?: :?: :?: :?:

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:52 am

Westcoast: YES !!!!!!!!!!!! you are right :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Because I live in Europe.......I am really happy to be able to read it on the web.....on Aug.22.

K3rM1t
Frequent Poster
Gear: North

Postby K3rM1t » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:44 am

Paul-

Having not read the article yet (mags haven't showed up in certain SD kite shops...grr) I'd like to hear from you some more specifics as to what you did or didn't like. I see you giving lessons here in light wind SD and you must recommend certain kites to your students and to your friends. Of the 20 kites you flew there must have been something about one or another that caught your fancy.

I'd bet there aren't too many people who can say they've flow 20+ light wind kites, so most of us are just telling people what we know or what the next guy on the beach says.

Throw us a bone here! Or do you have corporate sponsors as well that prevent you from making this-kite-is-better-than-that statements? If so, I'd love it if you just said that.

Cheers!

pure_adrenochrome
Rare Poster

Postby pure_adrenochrome » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:28 am

Don't put him on the spot man! An opinion is a very personal thing - just like an anus.

And did you ever stop to think that maybe the guy didn't really see any difference in those kites? Do you want him to make stuff up? If a guy can't tell the difference between 20+ kites, he shouldn't be crucified for it.

To the contrary we should thank him for having sacrificed his time and made the effort to test those 20+ kites for us in sunny San Diego. You guys think that testing 20+ kites is all fun and games?!!!???

Hopefully he didn't sunburn and he didn't get home too sore...

And on that positive note: :thumb:

jaapd
Frequent Poster

Postby jaapd » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:33 am

He puts himself on the spot by being one off the testers...

So, Paul, what is your favorite kite for a 10 knot day?

/simple question, simple answer

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:07 am

thx Paul, I hope now some people understand.

Other mags who have a test team squeeze all opinions into one. This is not good, and not fair.

Paul will tell you guys which one he preffered, why shouldn't he?

Greets
Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”