Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitester
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

X-bow 16

Postby kitester » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:22 am

Well the wait is over for those of us on the East Coast of the USA. The Crossbows have arrived! I got mine today but did not have a chance to fly it since I was teaching. However I got the chance to try out a friends and it was fantastic! It turns fast it jumps well and the hang time was good. When we had it out the wind was in the 12 to 15mph range. We had a strong current moving with the wind and still did not have a problem staying up wind. I did a few tacks and found the kite to different but I think I will adapt well to it. I did not fnd the bar pressure to be too bad but I like riding my 23.5 out of the power lock. I dont know how high it will jump but the float is great. As I get a chanch to use mine more I am sure I will find out all the good and bad points. I cant wait.

Kite_grom
Medium Poster

Postby Kite_grom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:41 am

Is the low end on the new bow kites better than regular LEI kites? Just curious, seems like since there is much more projected area they would perform better i.e. 16m X-Bow is much better than 16m LEI?

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:09 pm

The 16CB out flies 16m kites in many ways.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:43 pm

Hmm... 23.5m has a substantial amount of bar pressure, this must be why they haven't come out with a light-wind xbow yet... They'll probably have something figured out by next year though.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:55 pm

had 16 CB out at Lake Garda for 2 days in various wind.

it´s a quantum leap for beginners due to relaunch and safety capabilities, but anyone being skilled and loving high end LEIs for their thrilling lift will be disappointed. Hangtime is great, no question, but I prefer high jumps with an initially big lift rather than a long flat flight curve.

Cabrinha rates CB 16 low end between C02 16 and Contra 19.5
Think that´s fair. I couldn´t jump before others on same sizes of even smaller did so. The kite is light built and stays up very long. No stalls.
Relaunch is even underhyped. But as said, jumping performance is very different to good classic shapes and keeps me from going CB. Maybe next generation ..

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:14 am

Once you got the hang of it, the CB will take you just as high if not more, and keep you there longer.
Nico

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:01 am

Well we all know that we should not jump on the beach but I thought just few little hops wouldnt hurt. The first time I was up about 3ft. so the next time I swung the kite harder and pulled in harder. My van is 17 ft long and about 8ft tall witht the rack and I would have had no problem clearing it ...long ways! I think the jumping potential of the kite will be huge. It was only blowing about 15mph yesterday. As for the light wind apps.....got to try that out today. The wind was only about 7,8,9 with gusts to 11 (very few) and I was able to go up wind on my 179 LW. No jumping but still had the 23.5 beat (by a small amout) Flying in that kind of wind is only a curisoity and not fun at all. You have to really work the kite to build speed. I remember the days when we would sit around waiting for 12mph just so we could go down wind on a big floaty directional. This stuff is geting better all the time.
I played with the settings a bit too. I tied another knot on the back line pigtail up about 6 inches and that really helps turn the kite. I also moved the pop off ball down about 3 inches which was just to the point where the kite starts to depower.The few times we got gusts I could tell that will help my arm out cause I like to ride agiant the stop. I think the power lock will be a big help.
I tried some different self launch methods. Sand on the tip is hard to do because the tip is swept back and hard to fold. Also pressure is high in the leading edge. It will launch dead down wind from a nose down position but that could be hard on the kite if the beach has sharp things on it. I was even able to over sheet it (pull in) till it landed on its tail dead down wind and sat there. just step back and the kite will slide right back to the top with little pull. I tried to see if i could put sand on the trailing edge but agian the pressure in the LE makes it hard to lay the kite out flat. I am sure as we get more time with the kite we will figure out all the ins and outs. I will say one thing though. It sure was a lot easyer pumping up a 16 instead of a 23.5! The Contra will still be the light wind wonder for me but as soon as it hits 15mph the X-bow comes out of the bag!

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:13 am

kitester wrote: I think the jumping potential of the kite will be huge.

I played with the settings a bit too. I tied another knot on the back line pigtail up about 6 inches and that really helps turn the kite.
I tied also an extra knot further up on the back line and it worked.
I was out also yesterday on the 12m X-Bow in 12 gusting to 15 miles wind
and 149 mutant type board for low end.
I was able to go upwind better and jumping higher than one of my friend
who was on a Caution 16m and only 20 lbs more.
I agree the jumping potential is huge and better than some other flat type of kites,
especially if you already nailed the timing and technic, like me on the Raptures.

DrLW

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:24 am

DrLightWind wrote:
kitester wrote: I think the jumping potential of the kite will be huge.

I played with the settings a bit too. I tied another knot on the back line pigtail up about 6 inches and that really helps turn the kite.
I tied also an extra knot further up on the back line and it worked.
I was out also yesterday on the 12m X-Bow in 12 gusting to 15 miles wind
and 149 mutant type board for low end.
I was able to go upwind better and jumping higher than one of my friend
who was on a Caution 16m and only 20 lbs more.
I agree the jumping potential is huge and better than some other flat type of kites,
especially if you already nailed the timing and technic, like me on the Raptures.

DrLW
did you end up getting a xbow? I though You were going to get the Hellfish? What happened...though I guess you are glad yoy let the technology mature a bit first?

How do you like the xbow? (I wish I could get one...)

regards
ALex
(oh no you got my 500th post) ;-)

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:16 pm

tautologies wrote:did you end up getting a xbow?
I though You were going to get the Hellfish?
What happened...though I guess you are glad yoy let the technology mature a bit first?

How do you like the xbow? (I wish I could get one...)
Yes Alex I ended up getting the X-Bow.
You right I was going to get the HF,
but I was waiting to see the production Reviews,
I'm lucky.
I have more details and opinions about the HF why? @ "Hey Alex" Thread:
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2319066

Cheers

Return to “Reviews”