Forum for travel reports and travel questions
skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

EGYPT - MOONBEACH

Postby skyte » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:39 pm

In June 2005 TURBULENCE organised a trip to

MOONBEACH in Egypt.

Moonbeach has been a top windsurfing spot for years and, in recent years, has been catering for kitesurfers at the Hacienda spot a few kilometers down the coast from Moonbeach.

The day before we arrived, the guys at Moonbeach got permission for exclusive use of 2 private lagoons at a new and uncrowded spot a short distance down the coast from the Hacienda spot. Each day before the wind kicked in, we'd head down to the villa at the lagoons in the Chevvy van...

The villa is right in front of the main lagoon. Just step out onto the beach, walk 100yds to a safe launch spot and set up...

From the main lagoon, you can head upwind through the mouth into a wide expanse of ankle to knee deep water with channels and sandbars to jump. Alternatively, just blast about exploring the area. This was really popular with the guys on the trip who were just getting used to staying upwind. They could just blast about with plenty of room for "errors" !

From this wide expanse you could sail into the second lagoon if you wanted a lagoon to yourself!

Meanwhile, the total beginners enjoyed the safe environment of the lagoon to learn the basics and the intermediate to advanced amongst us could practice new moves and check out their mistakes on video and digital camera. Because the lagoon allows photographers to stand right up close upwind, crosswind, downwind or knee deep right in the action, it's a great place to get photo evidence of your successes and failures!...

Being the big head that I am... I'm just gonna post a few of the successes!

unhooked backloop kiteloop...

and another...

raley hooked in...

unhooked raley...

Where there's lagoons, there's sand bars to jump over :) You could start safe and just jump over the tip and then start further up wind and see how much you dare jump. This one's a nice little sequence of a toeside olly over the small bar...

The only contact we had with other humans was the odd fisherman, some other riders further down the coast (who weren't allowed in the lagoons (hehehe) and the occasional visit from the coastguard... and their camels...

The wind kicked in at around 11:00 each day and lasted until 19:00. We had 9 days of wind mostly on 9m kites but some days on 13m and a couple of big kite days at the end of the trip. By then we were knackered though and kind of glad of the break!

It's great going to a place with wind stats like Egypt because you can relax and know there's no rush to get on the water... you've got all day, have an hour working on a new move, have a break, chill out and drink plenty of water and then get back out and nail that move.

At the end of the day, we headed back to the resort at Moonbeach for some very tasty food at the hotel, a few drinks at the Spreader Bar and if we were particularly battered from almost landing stuff all day long, we could treat ourselves to a Thai or Swedish massage. For the ultra keen there was Yoga every morning before breakfast and if you fancied a day off the kiting (yeah, wierd, I know, but some people do!) then there's trips to Cairo, walks in the desert, snorkling or even windsurfing :)

Have a nice trip!

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby R Soul » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:46 pm

Nice write up guys...
I just came back from a quick week there and loved the kiting. I'll agree with everything you said.
I was wondering though, does any one have any info on the Ramada Hotel, just behind the lagoons? Prices?
It looked rather comfortable & flash! And I wouldn't mind revisiting with my lady... :D

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster

Postby R Soul » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:15 pm

OK... I'll answer myself!!
Just came back from an awesome week at the Ramada Resort.
The wind was good every day, and blew from around 9.30 until dusk.
At 70 kgs, all ll I needed was a 10 and a 14.
The ClubMistral / Skyriders kite centre has to be one of the most professional outfits I have seen. Real friendly crew there too
The kite spot is great, and you can still ride up-wind and enter the lagoons on a high tide.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, and easilly better than MB. Although service was typically Egyptian!!
We contacted the hotel directly and got a half board rate for $65... much less than I was charged at Moon-Beach previously.
And the advantage of being able to kite right from the doorstep, rather than take the MB transport with the students, really made the big differance.
I'll return again one day as the wind here is soooo good, but I know where I'll be staying!!
The Ramada rocks!
:thumb:

lucaferro
Rare Poster

Postby lucaferro » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:02 pm

Can you tell me exactly in which city is located the Ramada Resort near Moonbeach? :thumb:

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster

Postby R Soul » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:55 am

It's 20 minutes south of a town called Ras Sudr. You can fly into Cairo, or Sharm El Shiek. Transfer times are 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 hours respectfully.
These resorts are on there own on a very quiet bit of coast. If it's nightlife you want outside of the resort... forget it... there's none!!
But if you want gauranteed wind, and a top place to kite... you can't go wrong.
But lets face it, after all day kiting, a good feed and an early night, ready for the next day is all we need!!

Sturgis
Rare Poster

Ras Sudr

Postby Sturgis » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:54 pm

I just want tell everyone out there that Ras Sudr is just ok. I live in Egypt and the best kiting is in other places. Not at my weekend spot believe you me.

:)

doublerumandcoke
Frequent Poster

Postby doublerumandcoke » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:52 pm

Why do you live in Eygpt.....it's the biggest hole i ever have had the misfortune to work in. i managed a trip to moonbeach amd liked the spot. But as the Rsole says "nothing to do at night". It was windy tho.
My memories of Egypt will be of the endless piles of rubble and feilds of trash, not to mention the roadkill. My favourite roadkill was a donkey that was left for weeks on the main road in town until dogs finally ate it.
Special Place!!! And the people are just as nice!

You couldn't pay me enough to go back there.

Sturgis
Rare Poster

Egypt

Postby Sturgis » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:37 pm

I am here for work, I have managed to put a away a good bit of cash while here. The decision was not based on the local scenery. You are right, it is a dump in many respects, but it does have some positives.

jakobjth
Medium Poster

Re: Egypt

Postby jakobjth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:59 pm

[quote="Sturgis"][/quote]

where are the good places?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster