panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Machine Octane 12 review

Postby panchito » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:29 am

Si Señor.

I had the opportunity to test the SS Machine Octane size 12 yesterday.

Rider: Panchito
Weight : 72 kg
Board :SS Sx132 with TFC fins 6 cm ( great fins by the way )
Skill level: good question, I would say half way from beginner to intermediate with basic jumps , some wave riding , some transitions
My normal quiver: Diesel 9- 05 , Diesel 13- 05 Machine 17,5- 05 with one line.

I said my normal quiver because I sold Yesterday my 9 kite and will sell my 13 to pay for the Octane 12 which I ordered after testing it.

We where a bunch of people at the end riding this kite, because it created such an expectation that I was not able to get another ride on that kite because 4 more dudes wanted to have a ride too......

The kite looks like a high AR kite .....maybe because the wing tips are wider comparing to the Diesel and Fuel , and on the air it really looks like a much smaller kite ( like a 10 ) but only.

This is 100% a mini Machine just 6 square meters smaller and the flying characteristics are for my taste very similar

So..... everything I am looking from a kite this one has them all.

Stable: wow just park the kite at 12.00 and go for lunch.....
On the water: very, very light bar pressure , great feeling turns wow again like a 9 kite but for my taste the 9 use to be a bit nervous because you have to correct the trayectory of the kite and with the Octane just tell the kite ( more or lees ) where you want it to stay and finish again very stable fly......great

Because this kite flies further on the wind window it took me some time to get the timing right to be able to jump......wow again I think this kite is a really high jumper and even better hang time .

Turnings ......super no monster pulls just sheet the bar and 70 % of the power is gone ........sounds like my Machine.....nice

What else.....I think this kite is a great all around kite from beg. to adv riders it does everything you want to do.....

As I said .....I placed my order for that kite and I am sure it will cover that range of my 9 and 13 very easy.

Other comments where : great kite for un-hooked tricks from a North pro rider, a 13 Fuel 05 rider said that the kite turns much faster and the bar was like on power steering , nice and very light bar pressure, Adama ( the guy on the pics ) which normally ride on Fuel 11-05 told me he loves the kite for wave riding because 90% of the time he is un-hooked and he steer the kite with one hand with out any problem.

The wind was from 18 to 25 knots with some 30 knots gusts and I think I was one of the lightest rider on thats afternoon from 65 kg up to 95 kg

I got on the water and was a bit overpowered so I trimmed the 5th line about 10 inches and finish....John ( the one with the 13 Fuel ) which is 95 kg was without any trimming out and was fully powered doing several kite loops and came out with a big smile on his face .

My 2 centsImageImageImageImage

cayuquero
Medium Poster

Postby cayuquero » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:46 pm

two kites and you solve your quiver?

good news!
:thumb:

alguaro
Medium Poster

Postby alguaro » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:05 am

Panchito,

What is the price of the Octane in Spain?

Gracias,

Alguaro

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 am

No idea.....but they told me that like a Fuel 11 plus oneline +.- 150$$ more for the Octane 12

As soon as I have it will post the info.

Regards

mauidragon
Rare Poster

Postby mauidragon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:28 pm

(Stable: wow just park the kite at 12.00 and go for lunch..... )

what you mean??? ,,

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:41 pm

maybe when you bring the kite to the zenith and it just stay there ??? did I said that that kite is very stable ???

The Right Stuff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: kites and boards

Postby The Right Stuff » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:00 pm

Looks like a relatively skinny leading edge compared to the monster on the Machine. Is this just scaled down or does it act differently?

Two kite quiver is sweet!

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:51 pm

The Right Stuff wrote:Looks like a relatively skinny leading edge compared to the monster on the Machine. Is this just scaled down or does it act differently?

Two kite quiver is sweet!
well it looks like it is scaled down......again for this size the kite is much faster on turnings that the Fuel 13 05 with 5 line and much much faster than my Diesel 13 with 4 lines I did not fly my 9 but my feeling was that the Octane turns as fast as the 9......we had a head to head test on the water that day......the LE looks like my Diesel 13 maybe a bit smaller but the bar pressure is way better than the Diesel and Fuel, very light .

Act differentry ?? well how to compare an almost 18 kite with a 12 kite......and since I was a Diesel kiter I would say that the Octane 12 is as good as my 9 and 13 together.......turning, jumping, wind range and stable like hell

Just hope to get it next week........

Ragards

aberdeen_taffy
Rare Poster

Postby aberdeen_taffy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:58 pm

You got it yet Panchito?

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:08 pm

been told mid of September should be delivered.......but in Spain you never know......

Return to “Reviews”