LAND SKILLS..

Forum for kitesurfers
SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:44 pm

I have had great luck with flying my new 8.4 airblast.... Thanks to advise from this forum! Toby is the sheeznit, you out there friend... I've got a good 10hrs of flying time, and very rarely crash the kite...Are lakes in Colorado are defrosting now and I may have missed the chance to stap on my snowboard... But for now just wont some more skills to learn on the ground.. I've ran a good half mile w/ the kite say 10-12 feet off the ground and changing directions...
I wont to get the fill for the lift and how to get my feet off the ground...I seems Im only filling sideways pull over 1/2 the time..! How and where do I position the kite, or load it up..? NOTE, however im still in fairly low winds...Friends any other skills you suggest wile my lakes defrost?
Thanks Steve

TheRob
Medium Poster

Postby TheRob » Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:35 am

what i did for those off season days was make a sort of swing in my backyard that has a bar on it like a kite. i use it to practice jumping and stuff. i use my mountain board with it, but you can just run and jump too. it also gives my back and arms a good workout, as well as my stomach. it is tied to a tree just like a swing, except it is about chin high with a handle.
later,
rob

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Mar 29, 2002 8:00 am

Hi Steve,

please be very cautious playing on land with the kite and jumping.
I heard about some stories that guys coudn't wait to get into the water and played on land and suddenly they broke their leg , wrist or foot. Then the season started and they had to watch from the beach while other guys had the time of their life!
If you just do flying and get the feeling for it, you don't need more.
Rob's training in the backyard is a good idea, but best for training technical jumps.
But what you can do is to train the waterstart. In some videos it is shown how to do it. Get a bigger line wih a bar attached, then a stick or anything that is about 2m high, put on top a role and have someone pull from the other side. You sit on the ground, your snowboard attached and when the pull comes you try to stand up.
That's how the waterstart works.

Have fun
Toby

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:44 pm

SKIBUMNCO
Medium Poster

Postby SKIBUMNCO » Fri Mar 29, 2002 6:48 pm

Ok thanks again !! I like the advise, anybody else...
Steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”