Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Spots near New York City

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:19 pm

Does anyone know of any good spots for snowkiting near New York City?
What size kites do you use and how are the winds?

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby randykato » Thu Dec 05, 2002 6:55 pm

i want to know too! right now it's dumping a load of snow on us and one of my kiting buddies says there's a big open school yard or something where he goes kiting with his mountain board right in front of his house on long island. this'll be my first attempt at snowkiting and i can't wait. i've already switched my snowboard bindings around so it's more like a twintip (had them raked waaaay back from the last time i used it in chest deep utah powder!).

some other local guys have tried a few times to go upstate, but they got skunked for wind every time. it's tricky because there aren't any wind meters up there so it's a gamble making the drive up. even if you check the weather forecast it can be hard to predict the wind because the topography up there really screws things up.

hmmm.... let's get proactive. any time you go up there/anywhere. find local ski/snowboard shops, or maybe even bars/restaurants, and let them know that if they can offer wind reports, they could get a lot of business from snowkiters. let them know that this is the next big thing and that they can get in on the action!

malex
Rare Poster

Postby malex » Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:13 pm

That makes 3 of us at least... I'm in Brooklyn and was thinking the parking lot at Rese Park would be killer with a little snow on it since it's always empty.
Any ideas on good kites for NY? I have a Carrinha trainer that might pull with enough wind for now. I've been snowboarding for 15 years but am new to kiteboarding.

Any advice would be cool.

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:10 pm

wassup randy. jonathan here.

went to sheeps meadow this morning in CP with the idea of kiting. dont have a snowboard, so just took the fins of a small directional. plenty of freshie, but not a hint of wind.

either we are going to have to find some good spots, or im going to have to get a dry suit and head back out to napeague - must scratch the itch. just ordered a NY state topo map - shall do some exploring. you going boarding this weekend?

moray
Medium Poster

Postby moray » Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:24 am

Wassup Randy, Jonathan, Anono!

You did no such thing mr baker - snowkiting in cp is, well, you know.

lets do get proactive about this though. there must be a few fields around here someplace.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster

Postby randykato » Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:04 am

hey guys,

malex, where in bkln? i'm there too livin out in the ghetto (bed-stuy). have we met, maybe at plumb beach?

i think we're dreaming if we're hoping for local snowkiting though. a dump like we got yesterday only happens once in a blue moon (less often actually). it's got to be inland where the snow is more abundant and sticks. keep asking around and maybe try calling up some shops up there. if we're feeling really adventurous maybe we can make some scouting trips once we have some potential sites in mind.

i got my first taste today, not really enough wind, but when i did have wind it was pretty cool. definitely something worth doing when it gets below freezing and too cold to go out on the water.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:53 pm

randykato-- it malexbone (alex).
I can't seem to login. I'm in Park Slope... With a little more snow Floyd bennett field could be good and close. It's at the end of Flatbush ave (by Rese Park). It's an old airstrip so it's big, flat and may be windy since its close to the water.
I called the ranger there on Friday to see if "kite flying" was ok. The response was "Sure!" the only rule is that lines must be under 100 feet long which is no problem.
I never mentioned that the kite would be huge and pulling me though.
Prey for snow.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster

Postby randykato » Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:31 am

hey alex!

had an awesome session today on the water!!! i'm still buzzin' from it!

is there grass under floyd bennett field? even yesterday there wasn't really enough snow on the ground so if i edged hard i'd get through the snow and onto the ground. so just make sure no hard stuff under the snow.

i hope we can get that much snow so local places are rideable. we'll blow people's minds! who knows...it's starting out to be a pretty cold winter so maybe this year will be the big snow year in the city.

malex
Rare Poster

Postby malex » Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:31 pm

randykato - I think floyd benett is mostly grass with an asphalt runway leftover from it's airfield days. I'm going to check it out with the trainer today. I'll let you know what I find.

malex
Rare Poster

Postby malex » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:18 am

It turns out that most of Benett Field is paved and will need more snow for kitesnowboarding. There is a grassy area though. The good news is that there was steady wind, it’s huge and almost completely empty and would be great for kiting with a mountain board until there is more snow.

Return to “Snow / Land”