Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dax's Crossbow Demo

Postby johnmelton » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Dax wrote:
johnmelton wrote:
experienced1 wrote: He also suggested that we could improve the bar by adding a "friiction depower system" similar to what Wipika tried once and I guess WW does or will have.
I loved that bar that Wipika sold with the Airblasts, especially the second generation. It used p-tube covered sheeting line that went through an offset/crooked guide and a longhorn type bar. The rear lines would pull against the offset longhorns to rotate the bar and create friction through the guide. You very easily twisted the bar like a motorcycle throttle to unlock the bar. Very nice. I hope WW brings it back!
What is the advantage of that vs. the CC bar that is always able to be moved but stays where you left it?
The Wipika bar could be very intuitively be locked and unlocked and freely moved. It was very simple and effective.

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards

Postby blancoh2o » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:23 pm

I have had a chance to go out on a 12m X Bow for a 2.5 hr session last week. I agree with DAX for the most part......I would like to add that somedays the X Bow may be the kite of choice over others depending on the wind diifferential. There is sooo much range that this is deffinately a strong point of these kites. Another is in the surf and on the swell. I could ride straight towards the kite and it would not stall.
The Bow style kite is here to stay and as others bring their models to market we will see more design revolutions that make this type of kite more desirable. Basically, I am saying that there is going to be a lot more Bow kites coming in the future.
Cabrinha might be the first big company to bring theirs to market, but the others will probably make one too.
I think a lot of us could benefit from having one in our quiver.

DrLightWind
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock Park Miami
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Beach, Hobbie Beach, Keys, St. Lucia, St. Marteen,
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer15m and 21m Speed3 DLX
RealWind Mutant 148 X 40 and Directional 190 X 48, F-One TT 128 X35, Dereck Semi Directional 143 X 38 and 177 X 46.

Postby DrLightWind » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:36 am

blancoh2o wrote: There is sooo much range that this is deffinately a strong point of these kites. Another is in the surf and on the swell.
I could ride straight towards the kite and it would not stall.
That's why I prefer them. :thumb:

DrLW

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:10 am

Hmmm... maybe I should update this review as I have been on the kites several times since my original demo. I've ridden both the 9m and 12m in nuking and light winds and here is what I think:

Pros
- Depower
- Easy relaunch
- Overall very safe and intuitive for beginners
- Jumps and glides excellent in high winds
- Great for waves and hard carving transitions
- Wind range

Cons
- Bar pressure is brutal if you really want to ride it juiced
- Constant sheeting is needed to keep power smooth
- Doesn't generate power through turns like traditional LEI
- Cost
- Jumping at low end not so great

I can see why some people love this kite, but others don't. If you often find yourself getting overpowered or having to switch kites constantly, then this might be the kite for you. But if you are generally comfortable with your quiver then you may not like it.

I like riding with about 5 inches of throw on my bar and mostly against the stopper ball. I use my edging to control my speed, yes I do use some depower through the bar but not much.

I don't think my riding style is really compatible with the Crossbow. It requires you to use sheeting more to control your power, I would rather use edging.

When you see someone riding a Crossbow they are generally riding more standing up, without much rooster tail. I guess its still kiteboarding but a much different style for sure.

Again I stress you try one out, and see for yourself. :bye:

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:40 am

Hm,,,

So then it's not likely to be your girlfreind's favorite kite either?

Hm,,

I suspected as much,,,

Thanks Dax

fo

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Actually I might be in the market for a bow type kite for my girlfriend. Safety and ease of use are the two biggest priorities for her....

I have other priorities. :D

Spencer
Medium Poster

Postby Spencer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:55 pm

Dax wrote: I don't think my riding style is really compatible with the Crossbow. It requires you to use sheeting more to control your power, I would rather use edging.
Wouldn't it be easy to add a fixed harness line for powered wakestyle, then just unhook for psycho gusts, or when on a wave at the coast, or launching, landing, etc. ?
I learned on Wipika Classics, and when the 4-lines came along I couldn't stand the chicken loop, so I rode the 4-lines on a fixed line, instead of using the chicken loop. Now I love the chicken loop, but it took me more than a year to get used to the idea of not having the power of a fixed line setup.

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:22 pm

Dax wrote:Actually I might be in the market for a bow type kite for my girlfriend. Safety and ease of use are the two biggest priorities for her....

Brutal bar pessure is not a chick magnet, not ease of use,,,

Seems an on sale 05 Rapture would be a better choice?

Regards
fo

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:50 am

Spencer wrote:
Dax wrote: I don't think my riding style is really compatible with the Crossbow. It requires you to use sheeting more to control your power, I would rather use edging.
Wouldn't it be easy to add a fixed harness line for powered wakestyle, then just unhook for psycho gusts, or when on a wave at the coast, or launching, landing, etc. ?
I learned on Wipika Classics, and when the 4-lines came along I couldn't stand the chicken loop, so I rode the 4-lines on a fixed line, instead of using the chicken loop. Now I love the chicken loop, but it took me more than a year to get used to the idea of not having the power of a fixed line setup.
To me the Crossbow feels like it has more of an on/off power that is hard to control unless you use the sheeting. I wonder if this could be a reason Cabrinha hasn't been quick to release a powerlock device.

Also I like having at least some power/depower in my bar, completely locked/static loop setups don't feel right to me. You can actually do an awful lot with just 4-5 inches of power/depower.

YRMV

Dax
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dax » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:53 am

fokiten wrote:
Dax wrote:Actually I might be in the market for a bow type kite for my girlfriend. Safety and ease of use are the two biggest priorities for her....

Brutal bar pessure is not a chick magnet, not ease of use,,,

Seems an on sale 05 Rapture would be a better choice?

Regards
fo
I think the Crossbow relaunch is better, maybe 06 Rapture. WW seems to have the better bar solution IMO. But I haven't tried it yet so I really don't know.

The bar pressure on the Crossbow is only brutal if you are trying to ride it really juiced. Like you would for big boosting. Girls don't seem to have trouble with the bar pressure because they are smaller and can ride it more depowered and/or they don't care about boosting.

Return to “Reviews”