Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Naish TORCH 14M - a great kite.

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I may be a little biased toward this kite because of the personal generosity of Robby Naish and the efforts of another good-guy, Rick Iossi, in providing this kite along with other items in a raffle for Claudio Silva who was hurt kiting last year in Miami. Not only did Claudio have a large group of friends who came to his aid, but appears to be one of those unusual people who make friends where ever he is. It may also relate to his talents in the capture and display of our narcissism on film. You really should take a look at his pics on his site: http://www.kitefury.com

The Torch is Naish’s new medium aspect kite and is pretty much a ‘something for everyone’. The first thing I see are details - here’s some of the things I saw.

The big bag I made, because I leave my struts inflated 100% of the time. The new Octopus system which is a one-pump like Slingy works seamlessly in the background but over time most of the struts go flaccid somewhat defeating my bag but hell, it’s so easy to pump up, I forgive them. One thing: they made a fine bag for the bar/lines. I forgot what their shoulder bags looks like already..

The bar is ergonomic and the lines colorful so it is not easy to get confused. Their ‘Shift’ system is an evolved 5th line setup. They were smart enough to keep the lines from the bar all the same which means you have different 5th line leaders ‘from each kite’ to make an easy bar switch between kites. (I’ll be making leaders for my Norths) It takes a little getting used to seeing your font lines running half way up together. It kinda scary when you are used to four (five) well spaced lines running directly off the bar. But it works great - right out of the box. Not only is the kite well sorted, but they even anticipated line stretch buy providing extra knots and directions for when the lines stretch into position. One nice, little surprise: a reverse Donkey Dick. It attaches to the spreader bar and works with every chicken loop in your quiver.

Again falling back to details - Naish figured that weight aloft is dead weight. They even made the rub strakes various sizes based upon where the kite is likely to rub. Nice Beefy shoulder patches on the ends like the WW also.

Here’s an area full of goodies. Not only do they provide a second valve - it's a BIG one to help you dump the air. Most companies that provide a second valve make it the same as the filler ...like you’re goona get your girlfriend to pump on the other one. (Mine pumps while I connect the lines..) There’s also a trick little piece here that I have not seen before: a little bungie cord loop to pop over the top of the valve to secure the velcro lock. Very cool.

The only goofy ‘Duh?!’ here is the instructions/warnings are printed upside-down - you have to stand inside the kite to read the words?! One warning says to not ‘over inflate’ but nowhere does it say (even in the manual) what that means. I gather it means; “When it goes POP - you’re Fk’d kiddo.â€

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:12 pm

I've had a little more time with this kite and like it a little more each time. The only thing I cannot get lazy about is getting the lines straight before launch. I've been spoiled with four lines that come back to the bar because a back line crossed over did not make a difference - with the Shift front lines going quite high up before they 'Y' out, a crossed back line seems to upset the balance.

I love their 5th: I self-land with zero difficulty or concern for my safety. I'd suggest you add gloves to your body armour if you don't work with your hands much...

jim

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.
Been thanked: 0

Postby R Soul » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:03 pm

The 2005 Torch 14 was something very special...
Maybe, one of the best kites I have ever flown...
Let's see if the Torch II can match it!

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Re: Naish TORCH 14M - a great kite.

Postby R Soul » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Wetstuff wrote:Anyway: There’s plenty of cheap kites out there, but if you appreciate quality details and want a kite with about as much evolution and history as there is in this young business, then the Torch should be atop your list for consideration.
:thumb:

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:07 am

I just had a session on a 14 Torch 11 thought I would share my experience. I'm a super heavy weigh at 120kg 5+ years kiting on a 138x40 board wind was gusty 15 - 22 knots in small choppy water.
I'm old school style rider so I care about speed, jump height and hang time but I do like lots of good things about the new style kites.

This kite turns fast and has a relatively light bar pressure. I found it spongy and a little bit indirect and lacking feel but I do understand that this could be a good thing for doing unhooked tricks. The kite has smooth easy controlable power through turns which again would be great for kite loops.
When it came to jumps I just did not get this thing dialed in, I have ridden plenty of other brand kites and get some reward after a few attemps at different techniques but this kite just not do it for me. I know, give it a few rides and I should have it wired out but all my favourite kites are ones that I can get out and get great rewards without to much effort.

I found very little bottom end in this kite compared to other 14's which is just the nature of the design and is more to do with my weight rather than the kite. When I had the thing lit up in strong wind and pulling hard was when I did like the thing but as soon as the wind decreased a little I could feel the thing hold back a bit. I have tried a few other current model 14 kites and must say for me anyway this kite was not my favourite.

Just my 50c

Return to “Reviews”