Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitenb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Type 7

Postby kitenb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:55 am

Got my first go at the new RRD Type 7, 9m kite today. Winds were averaging around 22, with gusts to 29. Here are my thoughts:

Setup: Flew it 4 line with my slingshot profire bar.

Speed: Very, very fast turning. Did a few kite loops that almost turned into double kiteloops(not on purpose) by the time I landed.

High end: We had a few squalls come in where I think the wind was reaching into the low 30's, plus...and I was able to hold it down with no problem...

Low end: It was pretty windy, so not sure here. I would say we had some lulls in the upper teens.

Jumping: Wow...big, lofty jumps. I was worried that since it is more of a "medium aspect..new school" type kite, that it wouldn't be a big jumper...I was wrong..

Unhooked: Very nice...very stable, low bar pressure...was really good.

Overall: The kite is awesome..can't really find anything negative about it. I guess if you don't like a really fast kite, then that could be a negative...other than that, I would recommend this to everyone I know. I have the 15, 12, and 7 that I hope to try out soon.. More to follow on those...

jjm
Medium Poster

Postby jjm » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:06 am

Did RRD remove the zipper feature from the Type 7's?

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:18 am

The 9m did not have a zipper on it. I haven't taken the other sizes out of the bag yet, so not sure on them. I'll check tomorrow...

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:34 pm

Yes, checked all of the sizes and no zippers. Flew the 12m and the 15m yesterday and had a blast. Still flying it 4 line, and haven't tried 5th line yet. The kites are awesome!

bobbi o
Frequent Poster

Postby bobbi o » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:24 am

you know what the deal is with that double pump system? i know its an option on the type 7,some kinda tubing which enables you to pump up all the struta at the same time?

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:41 am

Have given all the sizes except the 21m a try, and they all our very impressive. We did our demoing, and now have them for sale if anyone is interested. We have the following for sale at really good prices: 15m, 12m, 9m, 7m(2 of these). All have been used no more than 2 times and are like new. Email me at pat@oceanextremesports.com if you are interested in any of them.

CC
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CC » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:49 pm

I have the type 6 12 and 18. Is the Type 7 a real improvement (turning, stability, hangtime etc) ? I think the type 6 is a very very fine kite, should be difficult to make major progress!

whitecap
Medium Poster

type 7

Postby whitecap » Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:05 am

CC wrote:I have the type 6 12 and 18. Is the Type 7 a real improvement (turning, stability, hangtime etc) ? I think the type 6 is a very very fine kite, should be difficult to make major progress!
I had my first day out on the type 7 12 at crissy field today. Wind was between 10 and 25. We have a quiver of type 6, a 13 zh, and a 10 type wave. I agree that the type 6 is a very nice kite. Well, after today, I have a 5, 7 and 9 for sale, as I have already sold my 12 and 15.

The type 7 is loftier than the 6 and the type wave for sure....Not quite what the zh give you, but plenty enough for fun. So, better hangtime than the 6. If you have never tried the type wave, it is hard for me to describe the responsiveness, depower, and flat out fun looping the wave. The wave goes where you want it, and fast. I think the depower of the wave, and now the type 7 has been overlooked by all the attention going to the crossbow. I have not tried the crossbow, but there have been a number of comments about the problems inherent when you have a kite that depowers fully when the bar is out. When and why do you want to depower that much, unless on a wave?

The way the bar was set up on the 7 out of the bag, the kite was sheeted for power with the bar all the way sheeted in, even with the strap all the way off. Very nice for unhooked stuff, and the kite had more stability and pop than the type 6. If you let the bar all the way out, the kite would luff, without any power, much like the type wave. At first, I was not used to that, as the kite looks kinda funny while luffing. With a bit of time, you realize that the kite is very stable while in this power off luffing mode...sorta like the type wave with the bar pushed out. I would like to tune the bar a bit, as my arms do not like riding with the bar in close. I realized after coming to the beach that the bar is set up to do this, as it has two cleats to adjust the bar pressue.

At any rate, my kites loops are fairly lame, as the type wave makes it easy, and I have crashed a bunch on the ZH....all operator error. I am glad to say that the type 7 came through with allowing my to pull off some powered spin/kite loops with very nice pop and control. Pulls harder looping than the type wave, but just as controlable. I can not wait to hook it up with my wave off 5'2" in some swell... BTW, the wave off is pretty sweet...

OK, disclaimer - my 12 yr old son is a local rider with rrd, so I am glad they come up with good product. But for my $.02, Simone is a pretty sharp guy, and he will keep coming up with the goods.

bob

llambo
Rare Poster

wind range?

Postby llambo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:38 pm

I´ve heard too many good things about the new Type 7, but what about the wind range? Is it true they don't have a huge range? :?:

Would anybody talk about the wind range on different sizes of the new RRD type 7 based in their own experience? It would be very helpful for me!

When using the full depower system (that of the type wave) with the Type 7, is it just like killing the power or you have a gradual depower so you could use your kite with stronger winds?

Thanks! :thumb:

windyinOregon
Rare Poster

Postby windyinOregon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:06 pm

have ridden the Type 7's and thought the wind range was pretty good compared to most kites.

Return to “Reviews”