Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stage Two Lock-In Control Bar

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2002 4:46 am

Recently, here on the forum, there was allot of discussion about the S2 Lock-In bar. Some said they planned to purchase this bar. Would like to hear how you guys are liking it as I'm still considering it, myself. Anyone who missed that discussion can review it at:

phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=586&forum=1&33

Otherwise, here is a link to the S2 website where you can read what the manufacturer has to say about it:

http://www.s2kiteboarding.com/PAGES/bar ... frame.html

I wonder if this may be one of the ultimate bar set-ups out there at this time.

kieran
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kieran » Sat Mar 30, 2002 8:05 am

just had a look at the s2 website and these bars look okay. i couldn't find any price lists. any idea what they cost ?

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:28 pm

Hey guys,
after going thru the review and the comments on the forum I decided to order one two weeks ago from http://www.kiteworld.co.uk. I received it within 10 days in US from England and the total cost was 140 pounds all included.
I got the middle size 60 cm( there’s also a 50 and a 70 cm), intended for my mid-larger kites (wipika size 9 and up, Naish size 12 and up)
In general the bar is very well built, solid and all the details have been well thought out. Bar comes with everything you see in the ad no lines but nice 7 meter leader lines and 7 meter safety leash already attached.
Anyway I got in the water yesterday for about 3 hours in perfect conditions for testing the product with a wipika Hydro 8.9, wind 18-25 knots and rather gusty aloft (over 30). Because of the long gusts I had to really use of the depowering system quite a bit. I wouldn't use this bar measure for smaller size kites.
It took me only few minutes to get used to the new feel this bar has compared to traditional ones. Soon I realized I was actually putting too much effort while adjust the bar, the whole set up actually works so well that adjusting and relocking in position is almost effortless, I really had to remind myself not to over do it, I was very impressed to say the least.
Also tried the safety release shackle above the loop (under controlled situation) and worked perfectly.
The lock-in mechanisms, that I was most interested to check out, surpassed my expectations; locking, adjusting and re-locking is extremely easy and once locked you stay locked.
I'm absolutely certain that every kitesurfer who wants to get the most out of their 4 line kites will love this bar. However, less experienced riders should know that, before using this bar you need to be comfortable enough to ride while shackled (permanently attached) to the depower loop. If you don't shackle in and the loop comes out the harness hook you cannot depower the kite any longer and reattaching the loop could be difficult if not impossible when in deep water or gusty conditions or else... The way the bar and the safety system works forces you to shackle to the loop (you should shackle once in the water if you want to keep things SAFER).
Whether you like to ride in a "fix mode" or "direct control mode" this bar will do just that AND you'll always have a very reliable safety release system in place. Something that still not every bar system out there offers consistently.
Conclusions: great bar and “great jobâ€

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:15 am

I alos ordered a 60cm posilock s2. And used it in conditions from 30-40 mph today to 10-18 mph as the wind dropped with three different size kites (6.3, 8.4 and 10 Airblasts). I have to agree with enzo that the locking mechanism works really well. I normally use the wipka pu-tube locking system and this one locks positively as opposed to the wipka which slips if you let go of your hands. What suprised me about the s2 was that it locks postively yet is very eay to quickly depower..I was worried that it may be too positive. The only negative was when i was quite underpowered and sining the kite alot I found it doesn't lock well in these condtions. The wipika system was a little better for underpowered sailing, based on my initial impressions today. But when I was modrately to very overpowered, at one stage it wa 30-40 and i was on my 8,4! It felt secure and safe. I modified the leas system to use a sliding ring on afront lie an short 1.5 m leaders, and used it with my tyalska t-12 that I had from before. All in all I was very impressed with it, especially that it didn't take much getting used to.

-Peter

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 31, 2002 3:56 am

After reviewing the product information,
reading all the previous Forum discussions on this product and after several strong testimonials, I think the S2 Lock-In really is a killer bar. Pricey, but probably worth it.

However, as much as I like the safety systems with this bar, one aspect still seems dangerous. It has to do with being hooked in while launching. The way the S2 depower system attaches to the rider's harness is sort of like being shackled in. Even though there is a quick release, you still have that extra step to deal with in the event of a lofting accident. And like Enzo said, it would be difficult to hook in once in the water. Definitely more difficult than hooking in a regular depower loop. So we're back to the same old safety issue of launching while hooked in. I guess the way to launch with this bar would be to hook in first and just "have your finger on the trigger" of that quick release. Any thoughts on all this?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:18 am

IMO when you launch a kite being hooked in (and I'm always hooked in since I can't hook in on the water) you have to check the conditions, the area, kite sizes and then be very careful bringing the kite up, slowly, being prepared to pull the hook and I never had problems. If possible I always stay in the water when launching.
So for me it is normal being hooked in.
I would never launch a kite being full powered up and then hook into the depower loop. For me this is dangerous!!!

Am I the only one thinking this way?

Greetings
Toby

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Toby on 2002-03-31 12:22 ]</font>

Freerider
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Freerider » Sun Mar 31, 2002 4:35 pm

I've been using the s2 bar since it first came out! I think it is the best on the market!! If you are still concerned about launching whilst hooked in go into the water to about chest deep and launch from there and swing the kite slowly up to the zenith and over the water on to the other side of the window, Never leave the kite parked at the Zenith as we all know about lofting accidents!!!! Other than that the bar is the best there is and worth every penny! everyone at kite bay in England uses one!

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:02 am

I share Toby’s thoughts in terms of alternatives about launching kites. There aren’t many.
I think 4 line kites are best launched with the chicken loop on. In order to use properly the S2 bars or similar bar/safety concepts you need to hook in before you launch, only by doing so you can use utilize all its features (especially the safety release ones). The system is designed to work like that and you need to remember that it comes with a very easy to use and reliable safety shackle that is very easy to operate (especially because it is placed above the loop and is easy to activate in most circumstances), unlike the traditional systems.
You don’t take off from a cliff with a paraglide unless you check and know everything is OK ; the same attention should be paid when launching a kite. The fact that some kitesurfers do not observe all the safety parameters is just unfortunate but they should not me imitated.
By knowing and observing all the safety rules as Toby mentioned AND by being ready to activate the safety releases you have available there is no reason why dramatic accidents should occur, the worst that could happen should be that you have to pull the safety release and drop the kite; this will always be your way out of every emergency situation no matter how sudden or dramatic. Every other option of launching kites involves quite a bit of improvisation when things go wrong, the way out of it is always different whether you’re hooked in, or lofting, dragging etc….

More ideas anyone?

enzo

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:54 am

Hey guys~ let me ask you this: Which size S2 bar should I get to use with a quiver of Naish kites sizes 7.5, 9.5 & 11.5? I also have a fairly nice Cabrinha bar that is really long and good for my 15.

enzo
Medium Poster

Postby enzo » Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:55 pm

I would suggest the 50cm as the 60 cm will definetly be too big for the 7.5.
the 50 cm could be a bit small for the 11.5 but you will only notice that when underpowered. Both sizes are going to be a bit of a compromise but for that quiver the 50 will works best.
enoz

Return to “Kitesurfing”