Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nova 9m

Postby Wawando » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:02 am

Hi,

I had my first session with the Nova 9m. My goal is to do wave riding and huge air. Some freestyle in the middle and some kiteloops and downloops but nothing radical.
My current gear is Yarga 7m, Yarga 9m, Vegas05 12m and R05 16m.
The kites i use the most are the Yargas.
I ride in choppy and wave spot with very gusty wind that tends to be very strong with very strong gusts (10 to 15 + knots).
So a very depowerable kite is what i have been looking for a while.
Between the Nova and the Crossbow, i went for the Nova 9m because: it was the second release of the Nova, i have been reading the reviews, they have been working on it for quite a while and the takoon guy here is always available for support.
No, out of the bag:
- Very nice build quality
- One pump as promissed
- 55cm bar
Pumping and rigging is as simple as you would expect. No tunning required. (NICE)
The bar system is very simple. The only drawback is that the bar stopper releases too easy for my taste. With time (only one session) you get used to it. But i still have in mind that i must fix it for big wave days. Lets see what time tells.
Riding:
- Very easy to ride kite. Unlike what i expected, no time to get used to it
- Jumping is what most surprised me. In the chop, no more "i can't go too fast" thoughts! Just go full speed and when you turn the kite, depower a bit and then full sheet-in the bar. There you go for a long jump. With only a couple of sessions on it, jumps height feels the same as on std kites (though a mate a t the beach said i was lower tha usual :-?). hangtime is really much better.
- Wave riding: no comments. Do you know those face rides whe you just got pulled away form the wave? Gone.
- Wind picked up from 16 knots to about 20 and i did not use the depower (can't precise the wind speed but the Fuel 13m guy went out).
- Turning: it has a slight delay to start turning but then turns at least as fast as my yarga 9m (Nova migh turn a little tighter).
So, resuming:
- Very nice feeling when riding.
- Depower on demmand (end of death runs)
- Very practical to land on the beach (just go to the edge of the window and let go the bar) super for line tunning and self landing. Huge improvement over 5th line systems.
- For self launching requireds a little more sand on the tip.
- Seems to have less power than my 12m and felt like having a really huge top end.
- Goes upwind like no other kite i tried so far
- One pump is great. When packing i would like not to have to open the valves. But you can't have it all ;-)
- I am still learning how it flies. It is interesting and the kite behaviour when you pull/release the bar is completely different from the Yargas/Vegas05/Rhino05.

Let's see how it goes with heavy sea and more wind. I have already sold my Yarga 9m ;-)
It is the only kite i carry in my car so it looks like a good investment ;-)

See you!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:32 pm

Hi,

We have been playing at the beach today as the wind was very low.
GK Lift 9m; Nova 9m; Strike 13m
As far as turning speed is concerned,
Nova is in between the two others. More close to the Strike than the Lift.
Witrh so little wind, the Strike looked like a heavy monster. The Nova was very stable, The lift was a hyper turning buzz. I think it is the best "turner" i have had in my hands. It might have to do with the lightness of its construction.
To relaunch the Nova with very low wind, what i did was: pull & hold both back lines,; it reverse-launched; and then released one side and then the other.

See you!

zimboflyman
Medium Poster

Postby zimboflyman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:45 am

Hi....

any info on the useable low end of the Nova 9m? also what weight are you? board size?

cheers

Shane.

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:13 am

hi,
From what I have tested so far, for me the lowend is 15 knots (going upwind and some jumping at full-speed).
I am 82kg and ride a Jamie Pro M (126x38) board.
see you!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:37 am

hi,
We are in September which is the worst month of wind around here.

Yesterday I was talking with a foreign guy that was asking if it was always like this here because in his 5 years of kiting he said he never had such a bad wind. It was with gusts from 5 to 20 knots with 30 deg dir variation

But today... yes!
2m+ sets of ocean swell with wind from 15-20knots at the beginning to 25+knots at the end.
Kites at the water:me with a nova 9m;fellow with yarga 7m;raven 14m(!!)
The raven didn't last long with a final crash and tangled rider.
7m yarga was underloaded at the beginning and perfect at the end.
I was perfect all the time. hehehe.
Detail:
-2nd knot to shorten a bit the frnt lines.
-first time with "proper" wind and it felt marvelous(maybe because I am starting to get used t it).
-super comfort is the feature that comes out
-no sign of overpower even when coming down 2m+ sets
-a unplanned release when untwisting the lines after a kiteloop because of old habits
-very nice jumping. can't wait to test with more wind
-it was perfect if it turned like a 7m... but I guess you can't have it all
-wave riding: getting used to the extra depower that has been leaving me without the power I am used too specially at the lip turn. Very nice depower but must get used to it.

so, until now:
- range 12m to 9m comfirmed until 30s is guaranteed. lets see until where it can go...
- "bar free" feels ok. very usefull to help the raven guy. Simply dropped and ignored the kite at the beach and relaunched in 2 sec
- could turn as a 7m ;-) turns between a 9m and a 12m
- very good to kiteloop. turns very tight at the end
- super comfort and depower. must get used to different wave riding.
- It is the only kite I have used. my mates have been using from 14m to 7m.

see you!

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:12 pm

Nice to read this!!!

The same feeling that I have with my NOVA 9m. I'm not the only one :-D

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:25 pm

Hi,
Another grea session in exreme conditions. Mates in loaded 9m.
Jumping until the sky. If you love big air, you must get one of these :-)
Not at hime in such extreme conditions when wave riding. picked the smaller ones and getting used to timming.
It was really hard-core.
I missed the ability to rest the arms while riding because of the stress.

For tomorrow the forecast is 5m swell!!!
see you!

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Wawando » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:17 pm

Hi,

30-35 knots with stronger gusts. This is estimate so that i am not called exagerated. It seemed to be more (40s) but had nothing to measure and wind station is broken. Winsurfers where overpowered in 4m sails even when sailing board-only.
1-2m with 3m sets

Btw: i had never ridden in such strong conditions wind for such long time.

Nova 9m - you can hold it well but it is too much. It is not fun because control feels wired. Maybe more habit is required.

Yarga 7m + 20m lines - completelly at home (super loaded, of course, but all confidence and super comfort) :D

So the range for the Nova 9m for me with 10 sessions is: mid 12m to mid 7m. Note: I ride my Vegas 12m when others are on 15m.

So a possible ideal gear might be: Yarga 7m + Nova 9m + Vegas 06 14m

For the first time i had to relaunch the Nova in Hardcore - perfect. Like it says in the manual before the next wave came. Perfect 8)
Dropped the 7m too. With so much wind it came out and i don't know how (as always in strong sea/wind :o ).

See you!

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Postby jmopd » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:18 pm

Hi,

Good reviews Wawando, it would be nice if you could do the same with the sonic when Gusty get them at Guincho.It would be nice test them side by side.

GOOD WINDS :bye:

k1t3m4n14k
Rare Poster

Postby k1t3m4n14k » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:53 pm

May be the next time you can try the NOVA 9m with short lines :-D!!! I think it can be a cheaper option than get a 7m.

One C-type 14m, one NOVA 9m and one set of 15m lines (15m + 3 of bridle = 18m). With this equipment I'm sure do you have a wind range of 12 knots to 40++ knots :-D!!!

I would like to test it in Guincho next time ;-)!!

Return to “Reviews”