CrossBow or CrossBomb - Only real users reply - no companies

Forum for kitesurfers
Dax
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Dax » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:17 am

Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

I only ride in waves 5% of the time... so its not of big interest to me to get gear specifically for that. If I get a bow kite the main use will be for my girlfriend, but be sure if I am heading to the coast for the day I will be sure to grab it.

Lets see what the SS guys do with the Turbo Diesel, their team seems to be the current pioneers in the big wave riding with kites. They seem to think unhooked riding in the waves is the way to go though, bow kites don't help you at all there.

Hey UNSAFE... I thought the thread said no company associates. :wink:

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:23 am

goPro4Life wrote: Let me explain myslef so people dont think I have a certain agenda. I own cabrinha kites, north, naish, best, liquid force, viper, monkey, and wipika.
You must be the person that has the largest amount of kites I've ever seen... Do you drive a truck to the beach?
goPro4Life wrote: My ability comes from my experience not from the gear Im riding. I will pull the same shitty tricks on any brand kite you give me.
...and you're very good and not full of yourself at all...
goPro4Life wrote: All kite companies suck accept for those who are trying to get us good gear at a good price.
BTW, it's except not accept... (just a minor thing)
goPro4Life wrote: I have to shell out $1700 to find out something is a piece of shit. I am tired of it. I know what works. I bet if you put a pro on any tradtional arc kite that is from some cheap company, they will still school any of us any day of the week.
You don't sound very smart. I always try before I buy. If you spend $1700 on a kite before trying it, I can't help you. That's just simply very stupid.

Now if a pro can do anything on any kite, why are you bitching about the Crossbow. You should be able to do the same. I quote you: "My ability comes from my experience not from the gear Im riding. I will pull the same shitty tricks on any brand kite you give me"

P

Rockstar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Rockstar » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am

GoPro4life has an agenda. Its quite obvious when he makesthis comment "All kite companies suck accept for those who are trying to get us good gear at a good price. "

Sounds like a Best rave.

Just stick to your Best kites then,why bother about what others fly ?

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:04 am

Dax wrote:Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

I only ride in waves 5% of the time... so its not of big interest to me to get gear specifically for that. If I get a bow kite the main use will be for my girlfriend, but be sure if I am heading to the coast for the day I will be sure to grab it.

Lets see what the SS guys do with the Turbo Diesel, their team seems to be the current pioneers in the big wave riding with kites. They seem to think unhooked riding in the waves is the way to go though, bow kites don't help you at all there.

Well.... I'm not acctually involved in in the kite area of of our business, other than riding, so I thought it might be ok.

UNSAFE
Frequent Poster

Postby UNSAFE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:06 am

Rockstar wrote:GoPro4life has an agenda. Its quite obvious when he makesthis comment "All kite companies suck accept for those who are trying to get us good gear at a good price. "

Sounds like a Best rave.

Just stick to your Best kites then,why bother about what others fly ?
You may be right, but I think this is the classic "one poster bring it down so everyone else can hold it up." Every response has been positive.

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:13 am

I shelled out about $1500 for my CB 16 and am currently in the process of trying to unload all my other kites. For sale cheap:

X2 20
X2 16
X2 14
Wip 2002 AB 12 (8.4) [this is a great kite, probably will not part with it for the market price]
Cabrinha BT Nitro 10 2004

I only need one other kite - the CB 12, which I will get soon. The 16 is great - I have literally had it out from 12 to 30 MPH with no issue. I actually feel more comfortable on it in 30 mph than I do on my 10. The range is that great, and the jumps are insane. I am not a handle-pass mobe guy, but your weekend-warrior who likes to jump big, do some rolls, and that is about it. Not super technical tricks. Right now with the 16, that is the only kite I take to the beach, because I know it will be fine; the stronger the wind, the higher I go. There is no limit. Took it out on Sunday in Miami when others were on 10's and 12's (I weigh 185 lbs) and never felt overpowered. THe only reason that I want the 12 is I remember how good it is to ride a smaller kite, and when the conditions are right - 20-25 mph, no reason to be flying a 16. I used to take 3 kites with me to the DR, but now I know I will only need 1. And I feel much safer with it than my other kites.

Let me know if you want one of my other kites - I voted for the CB with my credit card once, and will revote again.

Mosaic.

ookpik
Rare Poster

Postby ookpik » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:13 am

Easy there gopher-pro-lifer! Just relax and everything is gonna be ok. If you don't like Cabrinha then you don't have to buy Cabrinha. It's that simple. And if nobody else buys Cabrinha, then there won't be any Cabrinha. But if Cabrinha's fly off the shelf in stores, then they aren't priced too high. You can learn about stuff like that in school if you want to.

Oh yeah, and if you write a draft of your message on Microsoft Word before posting it to the forum, then you can use the spell check. That would be great.

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:21 am

Gopher,

The guys are right. You are entitled to your opinion. The crossbow is not for everyone. It does have a high bar pressure if you fly it underpowered. It can invert like any other kite if you under inflate the bladders. It does have a 4-pulley system, which can wear out if you don’t wash the sand out of it and it does fly different from c-types so you have to modify your riding a bit.

But, if you fly it in more wind, inflate the bladders hard and keep the sand out of the pulleys all those problems are moot. I have used the 16 since Aug. and the only time I have pumped up one of my old c-types has been when it was blowing 30+ (I used my 7m Flexi) or when I ripped the CB and had to fly the Contra 16.5. If I did not train I would use the 16 CB as a one-kite quiver. I have had it out in 10mph wind on a surfboard and fly it up to 30mph on a 125 Litewave. For training it is hard to use because the centerline for the loop is so long that people with short arms have a hard time reaching it while learning. Other than that the CB out performs any kite I have ever had in every aspect. I like it so much I just bought another one. I have tried several other brands since I bought my 16 and they all seem weak and anemic. Heck, it even replaced my 23.5. I have had it out in gusts up to 40mph. I would not go out in 40 but if it came up or a gust hits the kite it is manageable. It’s defiantly the safest kite I have ever used.

My advice is to give it a bit more of a chance. It really does take about 4 good sessions to adapt to. If you don’t like it after that then list it on eBay or ikitesurf or trade it in on another kite. Try the Slingshot Octane. I got a chance to fly the 12 a few days ago and it is extremely fast. Fortunately you have options. Good luck.

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:36 am

I keep hearing people complain about the price. But around here slingshots and norths kites cost more then the bows for the same shitty designs they had last year, (for slingshot since 03)

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:52 am

Dax wrote:Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

The new bar system on the turbo diesels will be great for unhooked moves due to the sheeting system being below the bar and the variable stopper. I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic setup for riding waves unhooked.

Return to “Kitesurfing”