CrossBow or CrossBomb - Only real users reply - no companies

Forum for kitesurfers
larryxxx
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby larryxxx » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:07 pm

I think that some of you are just stupid. I don't thinkI have seen dax pimp slingy he is a Best man. And I don't think I have seen any slingy big boys out on bog waves or riding big tubes on a turbo diesel. And for the x bow riders hey ride what makes you happy. Depower on the waves???? sounds like a bunch of teabaggers.

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:47 pm

No Pump ReQuired wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:
Dax wrote:Yeah waves... its good for waves because for waves you want the kite to "go away" with depower... bow kites "go away" very well.

I only ride in waves 5% of the time... so its not of big interest to me to get gear specifically for that. If I get a bow kite the main use will be for my girlfriend, but be sure if I am heading to the coast for the day I will be sure to grab it.

Lets see what the SS guys do with the Turbo Diesel, their team seems to be the current pioneers in the big wave riding with kites. They seem to think unhooked riding in the waves is the way to go though, bow kites don't help you at all there.

Hey UNSAFE... I thought the thread said no company associates. :wink:
The new bar system on the turbo diesels will be great for unhooked moves due to the sheeting system being below the bar and the variable stopper. I have no doubt that it will be a fantastic setup for riding waves unhooked.
what a pile of BS,

you guys havent even used the new diesel Slingshots and you make statements like this,,...what a joke.

second point is you have no idea about wave riding, the main point in riding waves is to make the power of the kite go away when you are on the wave, you can never do this properly unhooked.

stick to the facts, people are voting with their cash for Xbow's, frankly i would pay double the current price and still think its a great buy. :thumb:
NPR
I voted with my cash for the xbow so I know its drawbacks. Haven't seen the turbo diesel bar systems in the flesh have you NPR? Well I have and anyone with half a brain can figure out that it's got more sheeting range. You've never seen me ride waves so stop talking out yer ass. By the way, there's an ad on ebay for xbows, double the price like you're asking for to bait <1/2 brains like yourself. :buttsmile:

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:10 pm

larryxxx wrote:...Depower on the waves???? sounds like a bunch of teabaggers...
Do you usually ride 3m+ wave in not so stable wind or well powered? If so, what do you propose to do when you start to reach the wave speed? Jump out? I wouyld rather have depower to keep surfing.

Going underpowered in big sea is not an option for me.

See you!

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:10 am

larryxxx wrote: And for the x bow riders hey ride what makes you happy. Depower on the waves???? sounds like a bunch of teabaggers.
Uhhhhhh, don't like what they ride, so let's get personal!!! I agree with your first point. Everyone should ride what makes them happy. I'm not sure how riding a kite that can completeley be depowered can make you a teabagger???? Unless you don't know what teabagging is.

In case you don't know, here it goes: Teabagging happens when you are overpowered and the wind or wind gusts keeep lofting you from the water (similar to an Englishmen dipping his teabag in and out of the hot water).

As far as I know, and I am sure there are a few other Bow riders out there that will agree, the Bow-style kites avoid that from happening (if you know how to use them, which might not be your case).

P

larryxxx
Frequent Poster

Postby larryxxx » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:12 am

tea baggin around or dingle danglin' is when one rides the wave with the kite high w/o bringing it down scooping thrrough the zone to do aggressive powered bottum turns , the power needs to be there so the strings don't go slack from out running your kite losing the turning responsiveness. The power also allows for more speed down the line so you can keep in front of close out sections and / or have the power to jump over them or fast toeside around them and gain good wave sections again. It is not uncommon for many turns but taking it fast down the line over 100 yards. beginner wavers usually semi park /micro sine the kite while doing lots of small turns on a wave face while riding the wave to shore. to each thier own, have fun , but going way down the line riding the wave to the end end is what I am in for these days, no name calling just a descriptive riding style. I hope the bows change kiting for the best, the better the tools the more the fun and less frustrations.

Phillipp
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Phillipp » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:41 am

larryxxx wrote:I hope the bows change kiting for the best, the better the tools the more the fun and less frustrations.
Now here is a point I fully agree with you!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

vietkiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vietkiter » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:59 pm

larryxxx wrote:I hope the bows change kiting for the best, the better the tools the more the fun and less frustrations.
KiteKarl wrote:I voted with my cash for the xbow so I know its drawbacks.
These two statements just about sum up the self-denial logic of this thread.

1) At $1700 for 3 months of use, that's equivalent to a $68,000 car with at least ten year of expected life.

With all the issues that have surfaced... too much bar pressure, sticky pulleys, tangling lines that need to be reversed, inversion, peaky depower range, etc... would any one accept these "lemons" a new car... maybe a custom bike... but this is supposed to be a fully R&D and tested product, right?

Based on KK's description of his xbow... this is a work in progress with each batch fixing problems discovered... it's clearly "R&D on the go"

2) As far a I know, voting should not require cash... meaning if your kite falls apart in three months... whether it one in a million or not... one should not have to whine and bitch and plead to have it replaced/refunded...

Also, unfortunately... the drawbacks are only KNOWN after you VOTED with your CASH!!!

The main point is not whether a product has issues or not, but how it is managed. Despite request of non-company types... the usual spidermic are here intimate that any issues is likely to be customer's machination.

If the customer did vote with a big wad of cash... the expectation should be for the company to presume the customer is right, not frustrate customer's complaints with denials and delays.

3) To me, the verdict is still out whether the current xbow makes kiting "more fun and less frustrating." Just like Recon or 5th line... improvement in one characteristic is negated by one leap forward in complexity and one step back in performance/usability.

I have no doubt that some offsprings of xbow variants will be additive to the tool kit. But at 3-4x the cost of a C kite... it's going to take a lot of beer to make this beetch is worth a session.[/b]

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:47 pm

vietkiter wrote:
These two statements just about sum up the self-denial logic of this thread..[/b]
Thr logic is just a pile of crap. Or maybe more precisely, you can apply it to anything new.

Like any new 06 kite or any new model car.

Anytime you buy a new 'thing' you are doing R&D. Anytime you buy a new 'thing' you are paying more than last years model.

If you want to be an early adopter of a new 'thing', you have to vote with your cash. Plain and simple.

But after a few months through the magic of forums and internet, if you made the decision to wait, you can have a pretty good idea of the advantages and disadvantages of the new 'thing'.

Now I guess the real question is given what KiterKarl knows, could you possibly get him to give up his crossbow for any other kite that he can buy and kite with right now?

Good luck with buying your two year old kites, they are all well tested by now.

:bye:

David

KiteKarl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KiteKarl » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:17 pm

Good point David. Viet, maybe you can point out where my self denial is. I sent my xbow back on warranty. Not too happy with the build quality and the bar system needs work. The performance is great. I think that other maunfacturers have better bar systems for their bow kites. Fact is that Cab/Takoon are still the only 2 companies with bow kites on the market so I'm glad that I bought mine and got >120 hours on it before it went tits up. I'll be pretty disappointed if that's all I get from my replacement and if so, it will be the last time I buy Cabrinha.

No Pump ReQuired
Frequent Poster

Postby No Pump ReQuired » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:55 pm

purdyd wrote:
vietkiter wrote:
These two statements just about sum up the self-denial logic of this thread..[/b]
Thr logic is just a pile of crap. Or maybe more precisely, you can apply it to anything new.

Like any new 06 kite or any new model car.

Anytime you buy a new 'thing' you are doing R&D. Anytime you buy a new 'thing' you are paying more than last years model.

If you want to be an early adopter of a new 'thing', you have to vote with your cash. Plain and simple.

But after a few months through the magic of forums and internet, if you made the decision to wait, you can have a pretty good idea of the advantages and disadvantages of the new 'thing'.

Now I guess the real question is given what KiterKarl knows, could you possibly get him to give up his crossbow for any other kite that he can buy and kite with right now?

Good luck with buying your two year old kites, they are all well tested by now.

:bye:

David

I think Davids quote says it all....

You might as well burn your old C shape kites as there is no way most would go back to them now after using the Bows.

Guys yesterday were getting spanked on 8m kites and I was a happy & comfortable on my XB12 :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”