Costa Rica kiting

Forum for kitesurfers
Tomcat
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tomcat » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:47 pm

Hey,

I live in The Netherlands and in about 18 days I leave to Costa Rica for a surf trip. I am thinking of bringing my kitesurfstuff too. (Naish AR5 11,5 and a Starboard 5'10 Airrush)What shall I do, leave it home or bring it with me. Can anyone tell me something about the conditions in Costa Rica? For example is my kite too big,,,??

Mahalo!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:03 pm

Costa Rica is an interesting place with lots to do and see aside from kiteboarding. Lake Arenal has incredible winds much of the year. Probably too strong for your kite size as winds into 40 to 50 kts. and above aren't that rare. Even if you had a smaller kite, Iwould approach riding in Arenal with more than a little caution. Mistakes in high winds like that can be very hard to bounce back from.

Kitesurfing along the Pacific coast may be more on target. You will need to do a bit of research as many of the bays, although excellent for surfing, may have frequent offshore winds. You might contact:

http://www.suntoursandfun.com/kitesurfing.htm

for more local information.

Have a great trip,
Rick Iossi

surfer9joe
Rare Poster

Postby surfer9joe » Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:57 pm

I dont talk about kiteing (yet)
but check out my site:
http://www.costaricasurfingtravelguide.com

Tomcat
Rare Poster

Postby Tomcat » Tue Apr 02, 2002 8:30 am

Hey,

Thanks for the reply! I think I am not bringing my kitestuff to CR. I think I will go for the waves. By the way the
http://www.costaricasurfingtravelguide.com/ site is not working. Can you maybe tell me something about the waves and weather conditions in Mal-Pais during april/may.

Mahalo!

surfer9joe
Rare Poster

Postby surfer9joe » Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:04 pm

Yo it working again, I let the domain name run out!!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:23 pm

Impressive site, well done!!! I went there for a long weekend a few months back and was able to cover a lot of ground in CR. Thanks for putting together this great reference.

Rick Iossi

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 03, 2002 7:58 pm

Small World ....I was talking to Mike Eaton, one of Califorina's master surfboard shapers last week and he told me about a guy who worked for him, Joe Bauguess, who's moved down to Lk. Aranal (sp?) to run, or work at, a windsurfing program at a big hotel there.

He was married to a local, has a son there, so he pretty much knows the local scene. Mike said his email is:

joebsurfshapes@hotmail.com

Be prudent with your email...none of that "How's the surf today? " kinda stuff. He doesn't know me, so no need to mention.

Jim/wetstuff.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”