Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hawaii, january to june - help with lots of stuff!

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:28 am

Royce is spot on about Maui, I was there in June this year and nothing much has changed.

Unless you get a licence or have a buddy who drives AND you have a car, forget it.

The cost of healthy food is astronomical. You will be eating heaps due to the energy you will expend. But you can still get a belly full at Jack in the Box for $3 (3 x 99 cent burgers).

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:38 pm

ok, but what´s the cheapest place to stay? i found some hostels but they´re all 18dollars/night which is a bit expensive...

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:02 pm

If 18.00 a night is expensive you are definitly going to the wrong place. 18.00 is incredibly cheap and you won't find anything cheaper. Dude its gonna cost you like alot of money in Hawaii. If you are worried about 18.00 a night for somewheere to sleep then you are prety well going to hate MAui.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:11 am

Is Maui all it's made out to be?

Like sure the winds are probably really good but if it's such a hassle getting work or the travelling over there in the first place.... unless you plan on living over there why bother?

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:09 am

Personally I will not go to Maui to kite. There are MANY other places that suit me better.

If it is a once in a lifetime pilgrimage then go, you may love it. But only if you like kiting in 20kt plus conditions.

And speaking of wind strength, Maui is weird, 20kts is like 30kts (I'm no guru but I've been sailing one craft or another for 30 years). It is a known phenomena, something about the wind being unaffected but mechanical interference for thousands of miles (source is "Windsurfing Magazine") and being more FULL but at the same velocity (go figure). Finally, there is the chop...choppy, choppy choppy!

I'm sure that Maui could turn on some SUPERB kiting days for mid level kiters (waves and wind and smooth water), but I didn't see it.

Bear in mind I am older now and less radical than I used to be. :roll:

$18/day for accommodation is a BARGAIN! The only better deal I know of is Banana Bungalow $250USD for a month in a dormitory with 4-6 others. Personally, I didn't like it there. It also assumes that they will treat a kiter like a windsurfer.

http://www.mauihostel.com/windsurfer.html

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:22 am

In the above post....

wind being unaffected but mechanical

should be

wind being unaffected BY mechanical

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:09 pm

hey! i´m an intermdeiate to beginner kiter, is hawaii to advanced for me?

i mean hawaii might be the best place to kite ine the world, if you are the best in the world?

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:44 am

Hawaii is definitly not the best place to kite in the world.

unHooked
Medium Poster

Postby unHooked » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:23 am

between Mango and Avacado season you might survive.

and remember to arrive with a return ticket.

unHooked
Medium Poster

Postby unHooked » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:42 am

between Mango and Avacado season you might survive.

and remember to arrive with a return ticket.

Sorry for being a cynic.
Remember, Maui is the place where they had or still have? SCHEDULED session allowance times? Maui should be the Hawaiian word for "money". Maui is where rockstars, actors and millionares dabble in sub-tropical realestate.

Surfing in Hawaii is all about crowds and jockying for position and waiting your turn to get the last wave in the set. (how could anyone want to paddle surf after riding kites anyway?)

Because of the near perfect climate, any bug, insect, fungus or mold instantly flourishes in the Islands. So have your insect repellent ready.

You're on a rock that you can drive around in a few hours in the middle of the Pacific, think about it.

Honolulu on Oahu has an important tourist industry. If you are multi-lingual you have a chance to work for the hotels or tour companies.
Are you scientists? The best observatories are on Maui and the Big Island, Hawaii.

Sorry for being an ass, but i was there for 25 years and got really jaded.

I would say go the the Big Island and be the first to kite surf off the coast of the new lava fields, away from the crowds.

best wishes for your adventures........

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: unHooked on 2002-12-18 03:44 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”