Jaime L 2006

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kakanala
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jaime L 2006

Postby kakanala » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:29 pm

Rider: experienced (power moves freaky), 93 kg. Riding a Jaime L 2005 since October 2004.
Review based on a one-day riding (7 hours in the water, though) :)
Wind: Side-Onshore. 15 to 25 knots, 1-2 meter waves
Kite: Vegas 12.

The board: 130 x 39, new graphics, red TFC 5 cm. fins. The board is somewhat thicker and maybe a little bit flatter than the 05' model.

First of all: Installing pads and footstraps is a pain. Quite frustrating!!!!. Take your time and be calm, it requires effort to get it done. Tell your shopper to get it done for you, if you can :wink:

I did spend the first 30 minutes riding relaxed and getting used to my new toy. Then, I began to ride it more aggressively and swapping it several times with the 05 model.

My thoughts:
- 06' faster than 05'. The board accelerates faster and maximum speed is greater.
- planing in light wind? I do not know. Not a good day to test it.
- riding in higher wind (+20 knots): incredible performances while you keep focused. Do not relax too much or you may get punished.
- comfort? 06 has a more direct response, it is more nervous and it is a less relaxed ride but, again, keeping great control.
- jumping: great pop, even better than 05 model. It hods the rail and then it pops nicely. Landings are butter. The boards redirects itself in the right direction. Powerful landings are quite soft.
-Upwind: the board flies upwind and the 5 cm. fins seem more than enough to me. I did not miss deeper fins.

Overall, and always taking into account it was my first ride and that my weight is 93 kg (200 lb.?): it is easy to notice from the first ride that the board has noticeably improved it's performances over last year's model. Lighter riders (jaime 05' owners, like me) did say that they found the board faster but stiffer, letting less room for a relaxed ride. We all agreed that this new board is more performance oriented.

Installing footstraps is a pain, though :evil: . Lots of effort requierd. Any one has a secret method to have it easily done?

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Installing the footpads is really a pain!

Tip 1: Do not install the fins before the straps ;)

Tip 2:
What I did is to install the straps without anything for one night, so that they get the shape already. With that predefined shape it's much easier to install the straps with pads and washers. It's a lot easier, but still hard always having in mind to destroy the inserts when something goes wrong. And those annoying sounds telling you the screw is not ideally positioned :o

btw, it would be great if you could submit your review on my site.

Robin
http://www.kite-surf.com - Kite and Kiteboard Reviews

Wawando
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Portugal - Guincho; Rebel2012 5m, 9m & 2011 7m; Amundson 5'9&6'

Postby Wawando » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi,
I left most of the washes out. Just used a metal one.
I wonder if they ever follow those instructions...
See you.

stas
Medium Poster

Postby stas » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:56 pm

I need some help with installing footstraps on a Jaime 05. It comes with 3 washers for each screw: 2 round ones -metallic and plastic, and mettalic one with "teeth". In what order are they supposed to come? Above the pad, above the strap ... ? Which one can be ommited?
And another question, i want to change the angle of the footstrap/pad. Is it ok to screw the straps.pads using for example upper left and lower right holes instead of middle ones on each side?
Thanx in advance!

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:27 am

beggining from the board:
pad, footstrap, metallic washer "with teeth", plastic washer, metallic washer.

Good luck.

I have found that it is all about the screwdriver. I have rescued my old "Jason Polakow" screwdriver (this one is the Mother Of All Screwdrivers) that I keep from my old windsurfing days and... know what? I've been able to install footstraps on a new Jaime 2006 at first attempt.
Miracle tool!

stas
Medium Poster

Postby stas » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanx. Took me an hour or so but finaly got it done. Use only the "teeth" washer though.

Return to “Reviews”