Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Takoon Skoop'02

Forum for kitesurfers
Catch the breeze
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Catch the breeze » Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:58 pm

Can anyone tell me ANYTHING about the 6.8 or the 8.9? (better range for the 8.9????)
What wind range would a 68kg rider w/160 TT be able to use them in? Is the range Broader than other kites? How is the durablity? ANY input, experience or just talk you've heard, would be nice!
Thanks everyone.
CTB

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:24 pm

CTB, I rode the 8.9 and I loved it. Flies really fast, depowers well and has a super light feel. I think it's built a little lighter than some kites but haven't owned one for a season.......... so durability? Stefan

Catch the breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Catch the breeze » Mon Dec 16, 2002 3:40 am

Stefan, Thanks for the info. Would you say the 8.9 is similiar to the Airblast as far as light feel and windrange? Iv'e flown the Airblast, but again, haven't even seen a Skoop. Have you heard anything about the 6.8?
Thanks again,
CTB

Alf
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Alf » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:10 am

I have the 8.9 (and 11.6 and 17)
I like the kite a _lot_ feel is similar to airblast 2001, but better low-end and same top-end.

I never heard of anyone that owns the smaller one, I can go up to 9 Bft with the 8.9 (it depowers insanely) I do not believe you need a smaller kite.

They are indeed built lighter then others, but after one season, they are still like new. Seen some disappear in the waves, and come out unscathed, so durability is really good (which my biggest worry)

grtz,
Dènis

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:33 pm

Hi

I have been riding Skoop 6,8 this summer. I take it mainly to use in conditions + 30 knots. 40 knots is still ok with it. Have not been in stronger winds than that with it.

Fast and exellent for waveriding. Takes you high but you have to be careful to keep it above you.

I think the minimun wind for it is something like 20 - 25 knots.

Stefan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ft. Stevens, Newport, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Ft Stevens, Florence
Style: Wave, Foil
Gear: North Mono's, LP Foils, North Pacific Customs

Postby Stefan » Mon Dec 16, 2002 4:52 pm

CTB, never rode the 6.8 Skoop or AB. If your looking to buy one I wouldn't hesitate, I've heard nothing but good reports on the Takoons, you just don't see many in the US. Cheers

illy_kitesurfing.gr
Medium Poster

Postby illy_kitesurfing.gr » Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:25 pm

i have the 8.9, 11.6 and 14.5
was thinking this week about getting a smaller one.

i agree about the 'low-end and top-end' ability

i m not sure though on how much wind i can use the 8,9
a friend says he loves it when he is out (35 knots)- sounds 2 much for me
alf, 40??

* do you all fly them with the 28m lines?

illy

Catch the breeze
Rare Poster

Postby Catch the breeze » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:55 pm

WOW! Thanks for all the input everyone!
Wind range, feel, durability, you all have covered everything I wondered about. You all are great! I didn't think the 6.8 was best suited for 20 knot winds,...I might go for the 8.9 as the winds usually get up to about 20-25 over here - tops...and since the depower sounds great, it should be the match!
The reviews rave about the BIG wind range the kites have & I was a bit suspicious, but according to the first hand experience you all have, it must be true!
Stay safe everyone!
CTB

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:19 am

Well, I have used the 8.9 in 8 Bft gusting to 9, and at that time, I didn't feel overpowered. But I am about 95 kgs, so I can stand a big kite.

But all in all, I was amazed by the kites, first performance (the 11.6 jumps insanely) and now I am amazed about the durability.

grtz,
Dènis

illy_kitesurfing.gr
Medium Poster

Postby illy_kitesurfing.gr » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:35 pm

alf...
i weight 58kg...
i shouldn't wonder so much then/.. :smile:

same question again: do you all use the 28m lines?
i still got my 20m lines i used on my NSI and old kite,but i know though that i should propably use what the manufacture is proposing..
any opinions?

plus: has someone used the small akooba? (dont remember the size i m talking about- should be around 5.5 projected area)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: illy_kitesurfing.gr on 2002-12-17 15:36 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”