Nice Lux Bindings

Forum for kitesurfers
Fly HIGH
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fly HIGH » Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:40 pm

Have anyone had some trouble with NICE Lux kite bindings? Any broken parts? Some weak links?? I am greatful about all replies

Webwart
Rare Poster

Postby Webwart » Tue May 14, 2002 12:24 am

Nice to hear that other people also seem to have serious trouble with the bindings. Here is what happenend last week, when I used my new bindings the first time:

- After some jumps I needed to exchange per binding four (important) screws because they either broke, were screwed or to weak.

- Then I had to do complete reverse engineering on the both angles, which are originally made from aluminium. Unfortunately they got hairline cracks at the third time of use and were about to rip. I constructed new angles out of stainless steel, tomorow I'll test them.

- Yesterday the ratchet of one binding broke just while thightening the bindings. I wasn't able to ride with this defect, because the bindings were too loose. I replaced both the ratchets with gear from my Burton Snowboard. To do so I needed to make new wholes into the straps using a soldering iron (the strap doesn't rip if you do it that way).

- I recognized that the screws on the bottom of the bindings went rusty (after five days of use in fresh water). Obviously the didn't use stainless screws, like all other binding companies do.

To sum it up it can be said that this is the worst kite product I ever used. I am sure that more parts will rip the next days, I'll keep you informed.
It is extremely dangerous if you trust the bindings without looking from time to time at the parts because if they rip during a jump and one leg goes off the binding while the other is trapped it will most probably hurt your knee or whatever. Then NICE will most probably being sued.

I am from Germany and I assume the way to replace the bindings in the U.S. is long and painful, but I'll try find a solution together with NICEGOODS.
We could try to get some screwed users together and talk to NICEGOODS.

Regards,
Webwart
PS: Just found another bad review on <font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.wakeworld.com/Boots/getboot2 ... uctID=1474" target="_new"> WAKEWORLD.COM</a></font> and added my review.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Webwart on 2002-05-14 02:32 ]</font>

Postby Guest » Tue May 14, 2002 6:06 pm

That was me posting the other review on wakeworld.com. These bindings are crap! I ended up with a screw in my heel.

DONT BUY THEM

john

nicebindings
Rare Poster

Postby nicebindings » Wed May 15, 2002 4:53 pm

Nice Goods Inc.
2700 Beverly Street
Boise, ID 83709
Ph: 208-562-1665 Fax: 208-562-1678
Web: http://www.nicebindings.com E: Allen@nicebindings.com

Dear Konkave,

I heard about your problem with the Lux binding on the Kiteforum this week. Sorry I didn't hear from you direct, but maybe you didn't know how to get a hold of nice.

I'm sorry for you problems with the Lux and would like to tell you what we have done to fix the problems. I'm not going bother you with excuses why the product left are factory with the wrong parts, that are problem.

The picture enclose shows the mounting of the lever with new C&C alloy parts that will have a hard time bending or breaking. New brass inserts for the lever mounting holes for a tighter fit. New bar bracket C&C alloy part that is over built. Let me know what your mailing address is and I'll send you a replacement kit, our you can send back and nice will fix. Allow two week due to the new Lux part replacement kits are being sent from are factory next week to nice in the USA.

Note: nice is a binding company and we try to develop new and unique products that will meet the needs of are customers, sometimes new products take a bit long to tweak. The Lux binding is a great design ask Top Hat who is riding the Lux binding and love it. The Lux allows ankle lateral movement and is the only binding that you can get out of quickly. One other thing, I tried to get a hold of John who log-in as anonymous to ask him what problems we is having, no luck tracking him down.

Hope this helps and hope to hear from you again.

Regards,

Allen Pedersen, President

Webwart
Rare Poster

Postby Webwart » Thu May 16, 2002 11:13 pm

..good to see the things in motion. I received today a mail from Allen Pedersen (same as the above posting) with some pictures from the reenginieered parts. These parts will for sure solve some of the mentioned problems, but most probably not all of them (see below).

Allen, regarding your comment 'why not talking first to NICEGOODS before posting in a forum':
When I started to use the binding for the first time some days ago I made from the first day my gloomy quality experience. I immediately started to search on nicegoods.com for updates or new parts because I assumed that every single customer must have run into the same nightmare.
Searching your website I unfortunately learned that the current pictures of the lux kite binding still feature the weak parts, for that reason I started to construct them on my own, it didn't look like you were aware of it/ willing to offer relief. <font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.nicebindings.com/kite/bindin ... eopen.html" target="_new"> NICEGOODS.COM LUX</a></b></font>.

My opinion about the updated/ current bindings (without having tested them):
<font color = red><b>1. Weak front hinge and bar bracket</b></font>
The updated parts will solve the most dangerous behaviour of the bindings: the weak front hinge, which tends to rip during jumps and releases one foot from the binding. This is what happenend yesterday to me (luckily I didn't hurt myself). As you might remember I promised in my last posting that more parts are about to fail :wink:

<font color = red><b>2. Weak back hinges</b></font>
The instep strap and the ratchet are attached to the hinges on the heel side. These parts are still made from the same weak material and on my bindings all four of them started to bend in either direction. They also got hairline cracks and will for sure rip within the next days (I assume that's what happenend to John).

<font color = red><b>3. Weak ratchets</b></font>
As mentioned in my last posting I've already replaced them with ratchets from my Burton snowboard bindings (after the original ratchet broke while thightening the strap).
The Burton ratchet feels like quality and allows to thighten three teeth with one strike whereas the NICE ratchet only tightens one tooth (and it feels like a toy).

I really appreciate the management attention these serious weaknesses have gotten at NICEGOODS and the steps taken to solve the problem, but still there are some issues to be solved. If anybody would ask me what to do I'd propose the following.
<font color = yellow><b>My proposal:</b></font>
- NICEGOODS to replace the heel hinges with CNC alloy parts
- NICEGOODS to change the ratchet brand/ type
- NICEGOODS to update the website with proactive AND current information about the LUX binding

Regards,
Webwart

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Webwart on 2002-06-13 23:54 ]</font>

Webwart
Rare Poster

Postby Webwart » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:52 pm

..the update as promised:
<font color = red><b>Brief version:
'Don't by the Lux Kite Bindings. Mine have been a total wreck after 2 weeks of use and I had to throw them away!'</b></font>

Long version:
Forget my bullshit about 'Management attention' in my last comment: NICEGOODS promised to ship some spare parts but nothing happenend, I doubt the existence of the spare parts.

But anyway. Other parts are about to break in the meantime and there are no updated spare parts available at all and I won't exchange the bad one with a another shitty part. Which means they are finally unusable and ready for garbage(since 3 weeks).

Have fun with some pics of the wreck:
<font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.rodel.onlinehome.de/temp/Heel_hinge.jpg" target="_new"> Heel hinge about to break </a></b></font>.
<font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.rodel.onlinehome.de/temp/ratchet.jpg" target="_new"> Broken ratchet</b></font>.
<font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.rodel.onlinehome.de/temp/Front_hinge.jpg" target="_new"> Broken front hinge</b></font>.
<font color = blue><b><a href="http://www.rodel.onlinehome.de/temp/Bar_bracket.jpg" target="_new"> Broken bar bracket</b></font>.

Konkave@ewigkiten.de
Webwart

After some weeks of 'successful' testing I bought today Liquid Force bindings.
PS: successful testing means that nothing broke at least :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Webwart on 2002-06-20 00:04 ]</font>

Return to “Kitesurfing”