New Best Flat Kite - Need Name - HELP!

Forum for kitesurfers
dennisk
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dennisk » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:34 pm

Nice pics and prices... I only need some good unbiased reviews and I'm sold...

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:40 pm

gumball wrote:
clydesdale wrote:alex whats the general price range and sizes offered for the new bow?
DISCLAIMER: These prices have not been finalized, but this is what we're thinking kite only:

7m $499
9m $599
12m $749
16m $899

P.S. sorry to those of you who paid $1,600+ for a bow kite...
Hey Alex, I know you'd rather pimp the new product line, but could please answer my question???

What has Best changed on the LE bridles? From the attached picture the bridles look very similar to other flat kites out on the market. (i.e. I have flown the Cabrinha & Slingshot flat kites) Tx, Dano

"It minimizes the negatives found in most "bow" type kites (bar pressure, inverting, sliding through turns, cumbersome bridles, complicated bars and perhaps most importantly, PRICE) and maximizes the positives (total safety & de-power, lift, hangtime, turning speed, responsiveness & re-launch)."

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:42 pm

schwing.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:42 pm

Gumball,

Good luck with the new kites, they look exciting, and don't feel bad I didn't pay $1,600 for my Flat kite I let Windwing move me with their new Rapture 2 for less than half so it looks like your in the ballpark with your new kites :thumb:

bob10
Frequent Poster

Postby bob10 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:42 pm

that looks like the same bridle system as the sonic

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:51 pm

The Waroo or Allura bridle is a minimized 4-point bridle. It's probably most similar to the Sonic, except the wingtip "V's" are shorter which makes it tougher to tangle or wrap around the kite. These shorter "V's" also give the kite a much more responsive feel as they are not connected to the back/steering lines which also leads to incredibly light bar pressure while maintaining full de-powerability for total safety.

Although I am personally not a huge fan of these flat kites, the Allura or Waroo is fantastic in the waves and it boosts super huge and you stay up there a long time. After testing and riding everyone else's flat kite, the Waroo or Allura is starting to convert me, at least for waves... Plus, Peter has spent a lot of time and countless prototypes getting the Waroo or Allura to feel more like a good "C" kite. It doesn't "slide" through turns, it has nice power on the downstroke, and it's super stable in the air.

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:54 pm

Thanks for the response Alex!! :thumb:

I have experienced a flat kite inverting and the bridle wrapping around the kite on a 9m Cross-Bow (before I had the LE & strut pressures dialed in). Looking forward to trying the new kite from Best.
Last edited by Dano the Great! on Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:01 pm

Will it come with an actual safety system, where, when you are overpowered in gusty conditions, you can flag the kite out on a single kite line, like the "C" kite reride safety leash system? Or will it come with only a suggestion of a technique on how to get the kite down out of the sky during a solo landing or a self rescue? Also, will you be able to self-launch the kite in the traditional manner by bending and weighting down the leading edge bladder with a sandbag?

Be honest! If you don't know for sure, better not to say anything. Nobody will fault you for not knowing everything, only for passing on misinformation.

gumball
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gumball » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:13 pm

tomatkins wrote:Will it come with an actual safety system, where, when you are overpowered in gusty conditions, you can flag the kite out on a single kite line, like the "C" kite reride safety leash system? Or will it come with only a suggestion of a technique on how to get the kite down out of the sky during a solo landing or a self rescue? Also, will you be able to self-launch the kite in the traditional manner by bending and weighting down the leading edge bladder with a sandbag?

Be honest! If you don't know for sure, better not to say anything. Nobody will fault you for not knowing everything, only for passing on misinformation.
We've spent a lot of time on the bar design and I really like our system for the stopper mid-way on the center line. It provides enough resistance to let go of the bar & unspin your lines while riding, but is still easy to push through for full depower in case of emergency or when wave riding. Plus it is adjustable so you can have a short or long throw depending on your preferences and arm size. The bar will come stock with a re-ride safty leash attached to one front line that one can wear as a wrist leash or clip to your spreader bar, although I tend to think most experienced riders will not use it.

As for self-launching, we honestly haven't tried it and will be sure to do so tomorrow. There's too many people here in Brazil, so it's easy to get a launch...

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:25 pm

Hey gumball, is there any price indication on the bar for this kite? Most companies are asking extremely outrages amounts for the small peace of carbon with some lines attached to it....

Return to “Kitesurfing”