Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

An extreme sport ....I don't think so

Forum for kitesurfers
Peebs
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Peebs » Mon Dec 16, 2002 9:52 pm

Extreme......what a load of crap. It seems it's the word of ESPN and the X Games crew where getting air in some suburban skate park is EXTREME.

Kite surfing itself is not an extreme sport. Neither is surfing or rock climbing. It is the level any sport is done at that can make it extreme. What Laird Hamilton does is extreme. Getting towed into 40-foot waves qualifies. Doing a few big jumps at your local break doesn't qualify. To truly be able to call it extreme the chance of death must be ever present. If not then you aren't on the edge and the word doesn’t fit.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:19 pm

Compared to tennis, golf or football kitesurfing is quite extreme.

But I agree.

Kiteboarddog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kiteboarddog » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:20 pm

Great!
now my friends are going to need to add some more danger to this sport to keep their extreme status. LOL
If they tie rotten meat to their wetsuit in sharky waters can they call it extreme.
any other ideas welcome.
Joel

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:33 pm

I guess you are just not trying hard enough.

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:52 pm

Peebs,

push it, push it to the full and you will get your accreditation for XTreme sport... nothing is extreme if no risk is taken, that's granted... BUT kiteboarding can be an Extrem sport such as it is Extrem to f*** in Dominican brothel without comdom, if you see what I mean

have fun and being extrem or not is not the point, having fun is

Greg

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:35 pm

Hey bud, nice intro, I agree that kite boarding: that is right in the middle of the spectrum (a medium size kite 12mtr. in medium strength wind 15 to 25 knts.) Is just good clean fun!!
Thats what I do! I kitesurf!!
Extreme by deffinion! (need spellchecker)
Something at the extremity, at the ends of the envelope. Is exactly what extreme kiteboarding is.
Huge f-en kites in light ass wind is extreme kiteing!! I pointed this out and got called negitive??
Small fast kites in too much wind 30+knts is deffinetley extreme kiting!!
I also pointed this out and was also called negitive??

Bottom lines thanks for your post.

Yes the middle of the spectrum is just great fun!!
But the extreme ends of kiting IS where extreme kiting lives.

So EXTREME KITING IS very ALIVE and remains on the edges.

Remember folks I just kitesurf, I try not to extreme kitesurf on purpose.

fokiten

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:37 pm

Yes I totally agree. I'm not Xtreme when i kite... I kite well within myself.. it's just that the limits get further and further as your skill level improves.

To get good you have to get time on the water and you can't get time on the water if you are allways being injured due to being to reckless for your ability.

BLOWN AWAY

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:10 am

for sure its only extream when the 6.3 comes out

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 4:16 am

During Thanksgiving week I kited on Hatteras Island with a 9M kite (my smallest kite) in 30-40 knots. I weigh 145lbs. To my own saftey...thats extreme. Not to mention a road and powerlines are next to the kite zone...Nobody was hurt but it was pretty hairy all the same, any wrong moves and it was...see ya.

JD
Twisted Kiteboarding
GA

Peebs
Rare Poster

Postby Peebs » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:11 am

Well guys I stick to my view that Extreme is an overused, over hyped word that a lot of wanna bees cling to. If you have a good chance of dying if you mess up then that's extreme. Kiting in 30 to 40 knots with a small kite may be hair raising but it ain't extreme. Unless of course you do it in 20 to 30 foot waves.

I am not advocating pushing things to the limit. Just the opposite. Most of us do this sport for fun and the rush. Lets not become like the X games gen and sprout crap about how extreme we are.

Return to “Kitesurfing”