Forum for kitesurfers
taichikiter
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crossbow Powerlock Photos

Postby taichikiter » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:09 pm

Here are some pictures of the Crossbow Powerlock. The entire (black) centre line is replaced as it is fixed securely to the reinforced end near the QR. In addition, I am using a smaller chicken loop so I still employ the same arm stance.

Engagement is similiar to the Recon powerlock: pull the bar down to engage. To disengage, just twist your wrists with downward pressure. So really it is no different to earlier Cabrinha powerlocks.

Handy also, by flipping your centre line/chicken loop over 180deg, their is no accidental engagement. Cost for me was ca. 50AUD.

Edit: updated links as host server moved photos
Last edited by taichikiter on Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dano the Great!
Frequent Poster

Postby Dano the Great! » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:31 pm

Cool!

Where did you get the upgrade kit? Any idea when these will be available to order?? Tx, Dano

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:10 pm

So you are locked FULLY powered ?

With a bow kite ?

You cant be serious :roll: ???

Or is it just me that dont like it that way ?

A bow kite is usually ridden so you are powered "normally" with somewhat straight arms (or at least in a "relaxed" arm stance), and when you want to boost, you pull the bar so you are extremely overpowered when going up :thumb:

I would'nt want to be hooked permanently like this :o

Kindly, Peter Frank

Klaus (c:E
Very Frequent Poster
Style: lousy
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Klaus (c:E » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:24 pm

Hai,

what a surprise!
Depower is the safety system of the Crossbow.
So it could be expected, that the power lock would
a) have a quick release, so You could depower the kite in emergancy
b) was to use only in combination with the optional bypass leash as a safety system

You present a solution, that has no safety!
I wouldn´t recommend to use this solution without the bypass leash as long as You´re pretty far away from any beach, shore, kiter, boat, vessel, obstacle....

Sea You: Klaus (c:E

dennisk
Medium Poster

Postby dennisk » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:12 pm

Powerlocking when fullly powered is useless... I have the same problem with my 2004 CO2... you never wan't to lock the power this way. I like riding against the knot to relax my arms and when parking and crusing. When you trie to powerlock and cruise fully powered the kite sits to deep in the window...

blacktip
Frequent Poster

Postby blacktip » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 pm

dudes what are u talking about!!

Powerlock is optional for crossbow bar. If i dont want it then u dont get it.

If u know what u are doing when u are kiting then u are an experienced rider. No safety issues then. Powerlock is great. I want powerlock forever.

Dennisk, the way u are using your bar is not very efficient in my opinion.
You set your kite for max power when locked in. If a gust hits you, or if the wind is too hard, then u unlock. U will have a full depowerline to use for depowering.
If u want to boost big, just lock in just before a jump. Good for doing boardoffs, backhand kite steering etc.

JS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JS » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:11 am

Guys, you can't have it both ways. Either you have the ability to lock in on full power, or you don't. You can't be locked and have deadman depower at the same time. Sorry, just don't buy it if you can't accept that.

I have mixed feelings about the powerlock, but it would definitely be nice to temporarily rest the arms for a few seconds occasionally. An obvious pitfall is that the powerlock decreases the sheeting range, so you have to compensate with your knots, depower strap and stance somewhat.

It would be great if you could manually adjust the powerlock device while you ride. It could be set up with just enough friction to stay where you put it, and the actual hook could be set on a pivot with a binding mechanism that would clamp itself in place under load. That would be almost perfect.

kev o'brien
Medium Poster

Postby kev o'brien » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:55 am

JS wrote:
It would be great if you could manually adjust the powerlock device while you ride. It could be set up with just enough friction to stay where you put it, and the actual hook could be set on a pivot with a binding mechanism that would clamp itself in place under load. That would be almost perfect.
i was thinking the same myself, if the hook on the powerlock had some sort of cam so that when you hooked into it it would lock against the chiken rope but slid up and down easily when not hooked in- perfect!

maddy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby maddy » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:19 pm

put a bungee connection between the hook and D ring (releasable).

Then (depending on tension) you will have your bar pressure mainly off

and still some depower by pushing the bar from you.

Longer bungee placements and fine trimming of bungee can work up to semi automatic drive :o

have already you tried this ?? (bungee)

klimber
Very Frequent Poster

Postby klimber » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:16 pm

what about something that works on the order of a line tensioner that looks like one of those used for tents

some small little stainless ring with a hook on it....when tesioned it should cam itself around the line

would also be pretty small....and simple...and easily slide up and down for adjustment to where ever you'd want to place it

a litttle flick of the wrist would make it disengage, drop out of placement and slide down to the chicken loop
Attachments
lock ring thing.JPG
lock ring thing.JPG (18.85 KiB) Viewed 7017 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”