Forum for kitesurfers
aquaman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby aquaman » Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:02 am

March 14-28, 2002

This was our first trip to Cabarete, our second trip to the Dominican Republic. The following text is only our experience and perspective. We hope we might provide some useful information for someone planning a first trip to Cabarete.

After an 8 or 9 hour flight from Canada, we arrived at the airport in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic about 7:30 in the morning. The guy who carried our kitesurf board bag (20-lbs. total) to the pick-up area at the airport from the baggage cart (maybe 50 feet) expected a tip. We gave him some pesos we brought with us and his response was “paper, paperâ€

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:54 am

Hi Joe,

thanks a lot for your report!
This is all we need to know. We can't ask for more information!

Would be great to get those kind of reports from other users as well!

Greetings
Toby

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:47 pm

Joe:
Glad you had a great time in Cabarete! You really can't beat it for consistent wind, variety, night life, and affordability. RE: Easter weekend, kitesurfing was allowed on Kite Beach. We had a letter from the minister of tourism exempting us from the water sports ban. Also the Marina Authority gave their approval too. Kite Beach was not crowded with "locals" and was just like any other day. Problem was, we had no wind so it was all moot anyway! windsurf schools generally shut down or don't rent because the beach is so crowded in Caberete Bay.

Best regards from Cabarete,
Marina,kitexcite

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:37 pm

Joe & Marina: I saw the stats recently on DR vehicles. There were 2,021,861 total....of which; 1,065.554 were motorcycles.

One omission: each motorcycle has two horns!

Fun place. Cheers.

Jim

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:09 pm

Marina,
My friends told me they met you in Cabarete. They were mexican, their names are Augusto, Sergio and Xavier. They stayed there with you at kitexcite. They said they had a great time, and that they learned a lot. The only problem they reported was that all the girls were too old for them, them bein 23,20,20 years old respectively.
Andres

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 06, 2002 2:06 pm

Hi Andres,
yes I remember your friends well:-) Great, easy going guys! Well, I usually see young girls at night so maybe they weren't looking in the right places! In fact at 36, I feel old here... Just last night at New Wave a group of 6 18-year olds? girls sat down next to our table. So it just depends. Like the wind:)haha

Marina

Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Sat Apr 06, 2002 5:28 pm

Marina,
That's just too bad for them, well anyway, we are going kitesurfing today, and it looks like it is going to be windy. Sergio and xavier are going to use their new 8.4 airblasts, and I'm going to use my new warrior. i will take some pictures. you can see other pictures we have taken before here:
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kitesurfmexico/lst
take a look of all the folders. There are also pictures and a few videos in the "files" section.
Enjoy,
Andres Santacruz

Return to “Kitesurfing”