Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

An extreme sport ....I don't think so

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:46 am

Being extreme in kitesurfing is not always about going out in 20-30 foot waves it is about pushing your limits to a level where you are getting the biggest rush you have had since starting the sport. Beginners can be extreme intermediate and advanced kitsurfers can all be extreme it is just about pushing your own limits to the next level. Remember you don't need to have extreme conditions to do yourself damage.

Elia
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Elia » Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:49 am

Made a comment about this earlyer on another thead. I agree totally and It's always the people that aare not really in to the sport and more in to the image that call it extreme. The guy sitting on the beach with the "no fear" t-shirt talking to his friend about how Extreme he or she is. You see it in all sorts of sports, but I have to say much less in kite surfing then say mountain biking or rock climbing. I would have to say that kite surfing can be extreme. How extreme depends on what you are doing and who is doing it.

edmis
Medium Poster

Postby edmis » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:12 am

the most extreeme thing i have done is sailing form spain to ireland on a jacht.
we were hit by a storm for 2 days . max wind was 40-45 knts. we had problems with sails add one crew member ascended the mast to fix it. that was thrilling. well , that does not compare to kiting and it truly qualifies.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:50 am

Hey Greg, kitesurfing isn't extreme every day?
BUT IF THE INDIVIDUALS ADRENALIN IS PUMPING, THATS EXTREME!
Thats on a personal level, if some guy is pulling a move you dare not try, thats also a level of extreme. Anyway this whole EXTREME thing is a load of crap, its just a level where you would not dare take it. To me kitesurfing (and any other mono sport) is about pushing personal boundries, One persons idea of extreme differs greatly to anothers.
JUST ENJOY AND GET THAT ADRENALIN PUMPING!

Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby Mo » Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:55 am

Another way to check if kiting is extreme is to quantify the damages per a period.

1) How many deaths?
2) How many curable injuries?
3) How many lifetime injuries?

The next step is to compare with other extreme sports. If our data lies below what you define extreme sports rate of damages then kiters are not extreme. If meet or exceed the rates, then can be considered extreme.

We need some statistics here but it may be done!!!!

Ciao,
Mo

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:20 am

ITS NOT ALL ABOUT WIND SPEED.
On the light wind days at the back end of this year I've been trying new stuff to me.
Do a simple back loop but keep sending the kite back and loop the kite. NOW THAT GETS ME PUMPING (adrenalin). I kept trying it in a little more wind and discovered how it can bite you. Wind got up and on initiating move got extra height,i was most of the way round the rotation started to look for my landing and just looked to see where my kite was. OH SHIT I WAS HEIGHER THAN THE KITE,I had inadvertantly pulled too hard on my back hand & the kite was looping alot quicker than anticipated. The out come was a nasty wipeout I kept the kite out of the water though by continuing its flight path. So what did I do after that I went and did it again, but kept doing it until I did it right. My adrenalin was pumping, now to me thats my personal extreme.Two & half years ago standing on the board was extreme. I choose to push it on occasion as I think we all do, BUT THE ADRENALINE KEEPS MOVING THE EXTREME GOAL POSTS! :grin:

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:10 pm

Hello
Accordng to what you're saying smoking might be the most extreme sport ...

BigSmelly
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BigSmelly » Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:55 pm

Who gives a shit what you call it. If it makes you smile, go for it. If you wet your boardies while trying, so be it.
No wind eh Peeb? :grin:

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:14 pm

There is a great deal of media hype associated with the term "extreme sports" to be sure. Webster.com provides the following:

ex·treme 5a: of, relating to, or being an outdoor activity or a form of a sport that involves an unusually high degree of physical risk.

Our individual definitions and perceptions of what constitutes "... unusually high degree of physical risk" is going to vary substantially.

I use the term for one primary reason and it has nothing to do with hype. I use it as a warning at least to those that pickup on it and think about it. Kiteboarding is a potentially dangerous sport and may currently have a higher severe casualty rate than paragliding and perhaps hang gliding. Global statistics for these other sports don't appear to be readily available.

If you are careless, unlucky or are going out in conditions beyond your abilities, kiteboarding can be very "extreme" and hazardous. It can happen in relatively light wind, see
phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3377&forum=1 for only one example of MANY that could be offered. Higher wind, waves, cold temperatures, etc. do help however to pump up the risk and consequences of misfortune however.

If you practice reasonable care, use good technique and safety gear the hazards may often be reduced. Personally, I consider kiteboarding to be the most dangerous thing that I do out of hang gliding, aerobatic flying, deep free diving, trimix diving and tree snowboarding. It all comes down to the incident/accident experience.

From all that I have experienced, read and written about, I consider the warning justified and worth passing along. Hopefully folks will consider it for what it is worth.

Rick Iossi

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:40 pm

well thats that thread dead.

Return to “Kitesurfing”