Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Jojo RS 5000 Safety

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:25 pm

I'm going to try my Jojo RS 5000 for snowkiting this winter. I'm used to flying it on normal handles (sometimes with a harnass), but i'm a little worried about using it that way overpowerd. Does anybody know a way to get some affective depower/safety release on it, so i won't have to let go of the whole kite in case anything goes wrong? (I'd hate to spend the whole day looking for my kite).

Eric S
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Eric S » Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:30 pm

Post Deleted. Material was intended for non-commercial use. -Eric S
Last edited by Eric S on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:28 pm

or you could just keep the handles and get an old flysurfer spinning quick release loop, from the warrior or maniac kites, which comes with a pulley attached and simply thread the line you have from the tops of your handles through the pulley, and then hook into the qr-loop as per normal.

find you local flysurfer dealer they should have soem in stock.

or if you live near a chnadlers then just buy a pulley and make a qr loop.

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:55 pm

Eric, won't it be a problem that i would steer with the upper lines in stead of the brakelines, as i do when flying with my handles?

sq225917, in your system, i'd still lose my kite when i use the release. I'm looking for a way to keep close. However, i would like to continue using my handles in stead of a bar, considering the costs.

Badwind
Rare Poster

Postby Badwind » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:52 am

I've been thinking about this but have yet to build/test it.
All you want to do is retain the back/brake lines, at "yourself" when you release the handles, right?
How about a tiny pully on each brakeline. Each of those is connected to a leader, and each leader,in turn is connected to a single leash that is connected to your harness. (Flysurfer style)

So...You drop the handles (or pop the QR)...the the handles fly away with the kite...until the slack in the "safety leash is played out. Now the kite is "dead", hanging from the brake lines, until you reel in the handles/frontlines again.

Well?

Dan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Badwind on 2002-12-18 00:54 ]</font>

Eric S
Medium Poster

Postby Eric S » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:34 am

Post Deleted. Material was intended for non-commercial use. -Eric S
Last edited by Eric S on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:40 am

Badwind, that's excactly what i was thinking. I'll try it and let jou know the results!

Anybody else tried something like that?

Badwind
Rare Poster

Postby Badwind » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:40 pm

Something else I've been mulling over:

Suppose you had some kind of twist grips mounted towards the center of a bar, and had the brake lines spooled onto these so that when you twisted the grip, you were reeling in an inch or two of brakeline.

It would be difficult/cumbersome to get the full benefit of brakes on handles(because you'd need a wide diameter spool) but you might get a significant improvement in turn rate over the "brakes combined to a single depower line" configuration.
I don't know about other kites, but my only "handled" kite is a JoJo ET 2.5, and it doesn't take much brake pressure/movement at all, to make her whip right back around the way she came.

You could still do the saftey leash dicussed above too.

Eric, I've seen your video and your pictures.
You da Man!! I'm jealous.Except for the temperatures involved, that is :wink:

Dan

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:49 pm

I've used a bent bar (similar to quadrifoils pro bar)for some time. It helps turning etc and with a breakline depower system (as above) you get the best of both worlds(bar vs handles). I found a straight bar would fold the kite in the middle when turning. Also the bent bar helped to reinflate if I luft (simply roll wrist to apply breaks).

Badwind
Rare Poster

Postby Badwind » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:50 am

So I was playing with my ET 2.5 yesterday, and something else came to mind. I don't know about you guys with more experience, but It usually takes me 15 minutes just to get the lines and handles straightened out.It's complicated enough already without adding the leash and pulleys I described above...
So, instead of fixing pulleys/lines onto the brakelines permanently,
use those....eh...umm..."clip on things that look like question marks"
And, make the whole leash setup part of the harness, instead of part of the kite. Then you could set the leash after you've hooked in or even after you've launched.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Badwind on 2002-12-27 00:53 ]</font>

Return to “Snow / Land”