Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby panchito » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:51 pm

@ surferazul

You should go to http://www.Spainkiters.com or http://www.forokiters.com these are our local Spanish forums.....

I saw some weeks ago a bunch of Best representatives on the new Yargas pro around..... and yes the kites are better than last year kites......also all 06 kites are better than 05 kites.....oh.... buy the way , I am sure the 07 kites will be much better

Best is just another brand out of 20 something and if you are a local you should know that in a nice hot summer day with maybe 200 kites on the water no brand is more popular than the other......this is what I like about Tarifa.....30 + shops selling all brands you can get.

Best has for sure good kites .......but their marketing SUCKS!!!

Saludos

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:26 pm

Sometimes I have the feeling that Tarifa is the center of the Kite World.
What poeple do down there is the reference for Europe.

It is a cool place but it is not the European center of the kite marketing, even more because the kite market in Spain is actually rather small.
I also have seen crappy products marked as "Made in Tarifa", so please...

Cucho
Medium Poster

Postby Cucho » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:18 pm

Sorry Lolo but I desagree... Spain has anything but a short kite market... in fact is the other way round; have a look at the retailers list at the main kite brands webs, you'll see the numbers there...

About Tarifa... True that there is crappy products from Tarifa, but that would work for any place with more than 10 local board shapers, some of them with overnight repairing service during the summer, 4 sail/kite repairing service, 1 bladder/condom 24 hours repairing service, about 25/30 water sports related shops, 2 major fin constructors and there is a kite brand also, all in a little village that lives for the sea, in all aspects... some of the pkra top riders living in Europe are training here, most of the european gear tests for magazines are made there because of 2/3 of the year of windy days... and so on. It is an interesting place for the brands to watch the tendences closely. Yes, I would call it the reference for Europe.

And by the way, I am not from Tarifa, but I've been going there almost every weekend the last 15 years.

Cheers

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:30 pm

Yes yes, I agree with you.
But not completely.

I did not mean Tarifa is a bad place or something, it is one of the centers for kite in Eurpe and maybe one of the top 5 as well. It is normal that the best pros and shapers are based down there, and it is alo normal that between the top products there is some crap.

What I mean is that I often read something like "Since I did not see it in Tarifa, it does not exist". Well, there are prosuct which are developped and tested somewhere else in Europe and they come a bit later on the Tarifa's long beach. It does not mean that they are secondary. I can even give you a couple of examples of boards made in N Germany (I am italian living in HH, I have no reason to be particularly proud of it) which arte top boards not based in Tarifa.

Regarding the market in Spain. In ebay.es I could not even found the cathegory. Take a look to ebay.de......

Cucho
Medium Poster

Postby Cucho » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:20 pm

Well, I agree now, I think we are talking the same but in a different way. You are right, in fact Germany is the biggest kitesurf market, in fact is the biggest everything market... it is quite strange anyway that a country with such a climate has the biggest market in any water sport... I guess the reason is the large population; there is always someone for anything... this forum was a german one in its early stages for example.

Ebay is not the example in this particular case; first, it still is not very popular in Spain as it is very recent and most of the people still don't trust the internet for personal deals or buying things abroad (it's true!! we are still a few steps back from Europe), they just trust the big names like Amazon or the 'known' local shop; and about the kitesurfing scene, well, you know we are blessed to have a nice weather so we are at the outside most part of day, so we spend less time at home in front of a screen; (back on ebay: it is more commonly used in northern Spain; bad weather=more internet); second hand gear is easier to sell at the beaches; being italian is easy to understand that we spend a lot of time there and they are crowded. Specifically Tarifa is a nightmare in summer due to the overcrowded beaches packed of kiters, windsurfers and others, but it is brilliant if you want to get rid of the 'old' gear selling it as you chat. On the other side, I guess this is the same everywhere: in Spain you can left the 'old' gear at any shop as long as you buy them the new one. Some offer you money for it, some just sell it with or without a comission, so the shops are full to the roof of s.h. gear. Oh, and then we have the local forums, second best place to find gear used or new... this is how our 'particular' market is, I always sell and buy mine in any of this ways.

Cheers!

Return to “Reviews”