Forum for kitesurfers
itz
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Signaling

Postby itz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:47 am

You may want to think about a Rescue Laser, lots of range and a 6 mile high signal, especially as the days are short and lately kiting ends at/after dark

Check them out at
http://www.greatlandlaser.com/ to find your local dealer

regards,
Pete

highairman
Medium Poster

Reel Leash

Postby highairman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:21 am

I have been using a Reel for 3 years now and have never had it cinch my leg. Maybe I am just lucky. All I can say is that my board has never hit me, they are really good if you kite in surf and you wont spend any time trying to retrieve your board. I would however recommend a helmet, which is not a bad idea even if you dont use a leash
Here's the thing. It's just not cool to use a leash.
Goodluck

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:32 am

hugoc
Medium Poster

Postby hugoc » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:44 am

noel wrote:Hugo, Good to hear you are all right. The cops called the shop looking for you @ 8:00pm. You were on a 13m huh? Probably alittle too big of a kite for that day considering I was in the ocean on the same kite with straight on shore winds, LIT, for the entire day and I've been riding for 6 years. The bay really doesn't have much current unless you are near an inlet. Where did you ride? I waited to see you all day and Mike joined me @ 4:00pm till dark and he was on a 14m Vegas, LIT. We needed the extra power because of the head high swell but if I were in the bay I would have been on a 9m or 11m. Good to here from you. Tomorrow I am going snowkiting in Medford for the day. If you get a chance and have time, come out. I'll be in the cornfields on rt. 70 all day.
Noel,

I was closer to barnegat light than where you guys normally ride and ended up in the channel - plenty of current there. The spot I ended up in was deep with lots of chop and current - not a nice place to be.
I tried my friends 10 and couldn't stay powered up. Yah I was a powered up on the 13 but I wouldn't have been able to stay up wind on the 9 which was my next kite down. The wind was 17 - 22 most of the day from what I saw on ikitesurf.

I sent you an e-mail that I would be in the bay - I guess you never got it.

Thanks for the snow kiting offer but I got to work tomorrow. I'll try and give you guys a call at the shop - you guys still there at this time? I'm probably in the local newspaper - you guys see anything?

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:24 pm

In the past, Kitezilla posted:

“I also feel that the best practice is to use no leash….especially in ocean waves where you can get tumbled and “mummy wrappedâ€
Attachments
kf phleuger medalist reel.JPG
kf phleuger medalist reel.JPG (117.44 KiB) Viewed 1135 times

aprok
Medium Poster

Postby aprok » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:20 pm

[quote="tomatkins"]In the past, Kitezilla posted:

“I also feel that the best practice is to use no leash….especially in ocean waves where you can get tumbled and “mummy wrappedâ€

kitefrog
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lancing, UK
Gear: Lost Cause 130, LCB Skimboard, Airush flow sle 7m, DNA 9m, Vapor prototype 12m

Postby kitefrog » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:37 pm

I short board leash tucked in back of your harness is a must. You crash the kite, hook your board on first thing.

Or, if you break a kite line, hook your board on, and use the kite to drag you ashore by holding it up.

Rescue someone else's board with it.

anbeca
Medium Poster

Postby anbeca » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:45 pm

I've been in bad situations, and the single most important advice would be: DON'T LET GO OF THE KITE!!!!!!!..... unless you are in a squall, your kite is your flotation device!!!... go up the safety leash or a center line to the kite, deflate the leading edge, roll the kite and lay on it and row with your hands. Also, you can buy kites in bright colors.... in case you need a helicopters to see it.

chemosavi
Very Frequent Poster
Style: If Ghengis Kan, I kan too!
Gear: Grass fed Carbon Fiber
Brand Affiliation: Peace in the Middle East

Postby chemosavi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:59 pm

I always kite alone in similar water temp conditions as you describe

and I USED to wear exactly the same promotion 5/3 wetsuit as you describe until I, too, almost froze my nubbies off.

Never again.

Hooded 7mm suit with swim fins in a backpack. I can float around for hours no problem. Winter or summer.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:37 pm

chemosavi-

I often thought about carrying fins, what type do you carry,
I also use the Promotion 5/3 Wetsuit with their hooded vest I have been in 40 F water no problem but not for hours.

X

Return to “Kitesurfing”