DePowered All the Way!

Forum for kitesurfers
Blow Me
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Blow Me » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:43 am

Hey Everybody.

Riding Depowered All The Way, and is Still TOO MUCH.

Is this Normal? Or, Should it be when you DePower to the Max, that the All the Power is Sheeted Away?

ThanX.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blow Me on 2002-12-18 12:01 ]</font>

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:06 pm

Hey BM,
sounds like you are out in too much wind man, take it easy.
if there's enough wind in the kite it will still pull a lot even if totally depowered, in gusts especially because the kite is flying further back in the window.
It alos depends on what kite yer using, some kites like the X2 are ridden depowered almost all the time, others like the fuel like more bar.

If you're lookin for more depower because the kite's pulling too much you should consider using a smaller kite in that wind.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:14 pm

effectively when you are begining you want to be able to hold the kite in one hand by the chicken loop on full depower and have little trouble walking around with the kite over your head.

this is safe learning wind.

as you get better you will begin to use the kite in more and more wind. so in a couple of months you'll go out on the same kite when you need both hands to hold onto the kite just by the chicken loop.

once you get cocky, you'll start using the same kite when you find it hard to move about the beach on full depower at all.

and then after that you'll start going out with that kite in so much wind that you really need help to get to the water.

when you need two people to get you to the water, then you are a pro.

if you are struggling witht he wind its for two reasons, 'you' can't handle the power. or the kite is just to frigging big, getb a smaller kite dude.

BLOWN AWAY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BLOWN AWAY » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:49 pm

Yep your maxxed out. Some kites have a lot more depower than others depending on their foil depth (why you can't infinately sheet a kite out) The kite is fully sheeted out when you can't steer it...

But get smaller kite if it consistantly happens...

BLOWN AWAY

fokiten

Postby fokiten » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:08 pm

Blow me > make sure you got your kite tuned for max depower,
if you can pinch in your wing tips and make your kite puff up and move slightly backwards AND you have more sheeting in as a possibility.
you must lengthen your rear pigs,
Also watch your kite at speed and see if the wind is blowning the slack out of the rear lines if so, you gotta adjust for this too,
good news
your kite will be much better if you "take command" and Tune it!!
Key> Take command, consider advice, but take command and you will have/get your wings.
If you see spray don't ride the 12.

bubba
Medium Poster

Postby bubba » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:18 pm

What kind of board are you using?
I rode a stock WB for a while, it's size was ok but it had way to much rocker. This made it dificult to hold an edge and therefore stay up wind. To correct the problem I kept going out in more and more wind (keeping my speed slow), this was the only way I was able to go upwind. I now have a mutant style board and can go out with far less kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”