Is Shockwave a bow ?

Forum for kitesurfers
Fernando AS
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Shockwave a bow ?

Postby Fernando AS » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:59 am

I saw a guy riding a Shockwave and many with Sblade and they seems to be so different, SW reminds more a C kite. Can we say they are similar in the main points as bar pressure, range, so on.?

:roll:

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MissionMan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:16 am

This is the explanation that Cabrinha gives...

I think this is how Naish got around the patent because their SLE has the bridle but lacks the concave trailing edge. What impact this has on the kite exactly I am not sure, but nova seems to follow the non-bow principle as it doesn't seem to have the concave trailing edge but it still has the range.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Re: Is Shockwave a bow ?

Postby PAFF » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:06 am

Fernando AS wrote:I saw a guy riding a Shockwave and many with Sblade and they seems to be so different, SW reminds more a C kite. Can we say they are similar in the main points as bar pressure, range, so on.?

The SW feels like all the others.. Like a kite that has bridals... :roll: It more like the Switsblade, than the X-bow...

Btw... Bow is a Cabrinha name....R... :wink:

philth
Medium Poster

Postby philth » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:01 am

PAFF wrote:
Fernando AS wrote:I saw a guy riding a Shockwave and many with Sblade and they seems to be so different, SW reminds more a C kite. Can we say they are similar in the main points as bar pressure, range, so on.?

The SW feels like all the others.. Like a kite that has bridals... :roll: It more like the Switsblade, than the X-bow...

Btw... Bow is a Cabrinha name....R... :wink:
Sorry, Paff - BOW apperars to be a Legaignoux acronym.

What does BOW mean ?
"BOW" corresponds to the shape of the wing as seen from the top and from the front. At the beginning, it had been considered S-bow for Swept-Back Oblate Wing but it was simplified to BOW. For those want very much want significance, let's say: Banana Ocean Wing ;-)
The domain name BOWKITE.COM is registered but there is no trade mark, the name BOW KITE is free of rights.

http://www.inflatablekite.com/site%20bow/BowFAQgb.html

R Soul
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Str8 From The Horses Mouth... Ravens and Shinns... Love 'em.

Postby R Soul » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:04 pm

philth wrote:For those want very much want significance, let's say: Banana Ocean Wing ;-)
Sheer Class! :lol: :lol: :lol:

John B
Medium Poster

Postby John B » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:09 pm

The term ‘Bow Kite’ is probably much overused when describing the newer ‘high or wide’ projected kites on the market. The ‘Bow’ terminology comes from the patent description, which is then used for marketing purposes.

Maybe an unbiased description would be to call these kites; ‘Bridled High Projected Kites’ Some are more continuously curved, and others tend to be elliptical. Some have more hollow at the TE, while others have a % of scalloping between struts. They vary and each flies differently.

One thing they all have in common is that bridles are present at the LE. Some use pulleys in conjunction with design.

If given the opportunity try out the different kites, it’s like a smorgasbord out there.

Regards,
John B.
Research + Development

brunolgx
Frequent Poster

Postby brunolgx » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:09 pm

MissionMan wrote: I think this is how Naish got around the patent because their SLE has the bridle but lacks the concave trailing edge. What impact this has on the kite exactly I am not sure, but nova seems to follow the non-bow principle as it doesn't seem to have the concave trailing edge but it still has the range.
There is some time that I think about replying all the false information that circulates but I was lacking time...

About this topic:

The Nova is a bow kite and Takoon IS a licensee of the bow kite patent. since end of September.
Check at the pic, you will see that the Trailing Edge is concave.

I don't yet know if the Shockwave is a bow kite as I haven't yet seen one.
If someone can make the same kind of picture, with the rear part of the profile well tightened, and post it, we'll then know.

It is possible to turn around a patent but not around aerodynamics. A kite with a straight or convex TE will have a shape closer to a C-shape kite than to a "flat" kite.
I strongly believe that the kites will be flatter and flatter in the future and I don't mind about the kites with convex TE and bridled LE as long as it makes the sport safer.
My challenge now is to make the bow kites flatter and even more efficient.
Attachments
TE-Nova.jpg
TE-Nova.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 6035 times

brunolgx
Frequent Poster

Postby brunolgx » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:14 pm

Mission Man, there is no offense/attack here to you personally, you clearly said that you just believe this and that.

gbgreen59
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbgreen59 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:28 pm

Thanks, Bruno...very cool of you to reply.

fly62
Medium Poster

Postby fly62 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:52 pm

thanks bruno Legainoux

Return to “Kitesurfing”