Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
brantwojack
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo - New Diablo Kite

Postby brantwojack » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:30 am

Aloha everyone just got my new Ocean Rodeo Diablo 12m and 16m kites and finally we got a little wind here in Hawaii. I flew my new Diablo 16m in Kailua on Dec 6th, wind speeds we're around 10-16mph. I was able to stay upwind but not really powered enough to pull any big air, just some pop-wake-style stuff on the gusts. My first impression overall is good. Bar pressure was minimal, turning was fast and smooth for a 16m kite, it really met my expectations. I rigged the kite according to factor default and I'll be trying a different LE leader line position next session.

I’ve been kiting 4+ years and had the first version of there Bronco kite over 3 years ago. Since then and until now I’ve kited using a variety of Cabrinha, North, Slingshot, RRD, and Airush kites while working for a local kite shop in Hawaii. I think a lot of people in the states have overlooked Ocean Rodeo, there really making world class kite gear in my opinion especially with there new 2006 gear line-up. I’m really stoked about the new Diablo kite and wanted to spread the word.

The graphics and look of the kite in my opinion are outstanding, much better than the Bronco which is a very plain looking kite. So hats off to who ever at OR came up with the colors and artwork for the Diablo, KICK ASS design.

So the biggest shocker for me was it just so happened my friend was kiting with his new Cabrinha Crossbow 16m and we exchanged kites to compare. To my surprise I couldn't stay upwind on the Crossbow while he was riding my Diablo upwind. Maybe the wind lightened a little... or maybe I don’t know how to fly the new flat-arc kites properly... but regardless this blew my mind and at the moment I'd rather have a 16m Diablo than a 16m Crossbow.

Curious what everyone thinks about the new flat arc kites, are they all what there hyped up to be? One of the Slingshot Team riders here in Hawaii isn't crazy about them either he'd still rather ride a Fuel than anything else. I agree, I’d rather be on the new Diablo than the new flat arc kites maybe at least until more R&D/design refinement is done.

I'm sure I'll have more feedback to give those of you interested on the OR kites once conditions are a little more optimal (stronger winds) I’ll post again after I get out for another session on the 16m or the 12m Diablo.

Ocean Rodeo Diablo

cheers - Brant

Maxwell Smart
Rare Poster

Postby Maxwell Smart » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:19 am

This is my first week with my Diablo 14 and I have to say that the kite is awesome! Is super stable, fast, smoth and have a huuuuuge range (to me is 13-25 knots). The construction and the looks are one of the best. Next time try to test one I'm sure you will get stoked!

For me is the best kite for 2006 and I have test nearly all.

Bye.

brantwojack
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby brantwojack » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:55 pm

Max, I heard the 14m was really nice from some other guys I know in CA. I only have a 12m and 16m and road the 12m the other day for the first time. It's awesome like you said fast, smooth, lift, hang time, and hi-end range for getting through the gusts. (wish I had a 14). Have you flown the Ocean Rodeo "One Kite"? - Brant

Maxwell Smart
Rare Poster

Postby Maxwell Smart » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:28 am

Hi Brant, I couldn't try the ONE yet but I think a small ONE could be a perfect combination for the Diablo 14. In my opinion when the wind is hard (25-30 knts) people in bow kites are more confortable to pull out tricks.

Max.

Return to “Reviews”