RRD Type 7

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
whitecap
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby whitecap » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:14 pm

not that much time on them....but I think the 7 lets power off more gradually and in better control, than does the type wave......assuming you are using the wave bar. That is due to the 7 going closer to the edge of the window a bit more quickly than the wave. Between use of the wind window, together with the wave bar and the stability of the 7, it is a pretty nice and smooth dump of power...The wave does it as well, but the 7 seems smoother. Maybe the same with the new wave...have not tried it.....

With the type 7 bar, the 7 seems to have really good range, as only a few inches on the front lines makes a huge difference on how the kite flys....

bob

llambo
Rare Poster

RRD type 7 - 9 and 15 mts

Postby llambo » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:39 am

I finally get my Type7 15... (I only rode it once and I loved it but can´t make a review so far) in a few days I´ll have the 9. Do you gusy know what is the low end for the 9 meters? The PDF manual claims that both the 9 and the 12 have the same low end, so that´s why I chose the 9 instead of the 12... Do you think that I could have a little wind gap between both kites? (15 and 9)

I've also ordered a type wave bar to adjust to the 15 and the 9, so I´ll probably have some more high end on both kites with that bar. Let me know if you have tried this combination.

Thanks! :bye:

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:50 am

I have used the wave 2 bar on both the 15 and 9 type 7. Loved the set up. I also have the 12. There is a fair amount of overlap between the kites, as you could take the 15 out in a fair amount of breeze and still hold onto it with the wave bar, and the 9 has a good low end.
bob

llambo
Rare Poster

12 and 15mts RRD Type 7, and two bar models

Postby llambo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:08 am

finally I get the 15 and the 12mts Type7, now i´ve been riding the kites and I can say that I´m impressed with the huge wind range. First I tested the 15 meters and I was very satisfied, very fast kite and a very, very good wind range (11 to 22+ knots), of course, in the high end it is almost impossible to ride unhooked. Then I decided to compcomplement with a 12 instead of a 9, because If I ride with more than 22 knots with the 15 then the 12 meters would tolerate at least 4 or 5 more knots. And even more if I use the type wave bar 2 (I´ll talk later about this bar). In fact, I get the 12 and I tested it in gusty winds on a windy day (22 to 28+ knots aprox) and when the other guys where overpowered with 10mts kites I was able to hold my new 12 meters and not bounce in the water, but I have to say that I was not very comfortable in the strong gusts.

Now, that was predictable considering the wind range of the 15. My surprise was when I tested the low end of my Type7 12mts. One day I went into the water with about 16 knots knowing that I would probably stay up-wind and even practice some unhooked movements with less bar presure than with the 15, besides I´d have the opportunity to test the low end of the new kite because the forecast announced the wind to drop down at the end of the day. Everybody at the beach with 16 and 16,5mts kites and some switchblades. I was very happy because I was well powered, the kite was extremely fast and kiteloops, raleys and other unhooked maneuvers where easy. Some time on the water and the wind started to drop, people with 16 meters kites shake their kites in the air, but they couldn't stay up wind some times and had to walk on the sand with their kites to go back to the kiting area. To my surprise I was still holding the edge and going up wind! No jumps, not enough pop, but riding up-wind with a 12 meters kite between 10 and 12 knots... (Note: riding with a traditional, responsive, low bar pressure, and fast 12 mts C kite). (reference: I weigh 70kg and use a 127x39 board)

So, now I decided to have a 9mts and maybe get rid of the 12. I know it sounds absurd to change the best kite I´ve ever tried, but if the 9 has similar properties I think that I will have a very good quiver with just 2 kites, 15 and 9 and now I´m not afraid to have too much wind for the 15mts and not enough wind for the 9 on the same day. I think the overlap would be great and not only 1 or 2 knots.

Finally, as if the wind range of this great kites was not enough I get the Type Wave Bar 2, and all I can say is that if it is correctly regulated, you send the bar up and the kite definitely turns its power off, I mean, it falls from the sky. Before I use the bar I thought that just by pulling the 5th line the kite would lose power but it would also lose performace as every kite when you pull the center line tends to spread out the tips and make strange movements like a jellyfish. But the Type Wave bar 2 comes with an extra line that connects the tips of the leading edge preserving the shape of the withe even when it is slanted upward and you can perfectly move the kite to the right or left. I haven't tried yet this bar as an extension of the wind range in extreme conditions (i.e.: the 15mts in 25+ knots) and I´m sure it won't be the optimum set up, but on a very gusty day, when you feel that the kite pulls so hard that your legs seem to explode, this bar may be a good choice. Of course it is a must in waves. But you can read about that in RRD's site.

Let me know if someone has different opinions about this kites (9, 12 and 15mts) and this revlutionary bar made for wave riding.

:thumb:

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:43 am

Last Sunday I was out on the 18m Type 7 first and when the winds dropped below 10mph I switched to a brand new 21m Type 7 RRD.

The board I was riding was the Underground 152x45 FLX (Live2KITE special edition).

I couldn't believe how comfortably I could stay upwind with the 21m on below 10mph (the windmeter at the beach was showing 7mph!!!), even kitelooping the kite in transitions.

I was using the kite with the Type 7 Medium size bar as it came complete with the Type 7 18m. Amazing kites!

Evan - Live2KITE
(415) 722-7884
http://www.live2kite.com
info@live2kite.com
[RRD, Globerider, Caution, Underground, Cabal Skimboards, Flexifoil, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force, Ozone, Flysurfer, Best, Litewave Design, NSI, Protec, Capix, SR, Aquapac, Okespor, Gul, Q-Lines, Rainbow, Seaspecs, Aquashade, UltraNectar, Bump'n'Jump]

Return to “Reviews”