WHY

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
crabman
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WHY

Postby crabman » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:34 am

Why is it .Im New to this forum and there is a lot of good comments about building boards ,equily there is a lot of bullshit about pre pregs. How many guys and girls can get there hands on pre preg? Who in there right mind uses pre preg in board construction? We have been in the composites industry for a long time ,we built boards in the early days using pre pregs ,it doesnt work. Keep it simple. For the average board builder wet lay up is simple and effective .We found we get better results with wet lay up .As to over weighing resins this is not a bad thing ,the excess can be taken out with peel ply and breather with or without vacuum. Sorry but it gets my back up when bullshit and egoes starts flying.Bullshit does not pay the bills and is dangerous. Thanks.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:11 pm

It's funny what you say about pre-pregs being hard to work with i seem to remember someone having trouble with cheap out of date pre-pregs or poor materials hygine process a few years back, i believe the word on the beach was 'shark nosed delaminating shit.....'

Obviously things have come on since then, as even young kids from this forum have made competent pre-preg boards, so it can't be that hard....

zfennell
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zfennell » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:53 pm

Not for nothin...
But most of the posts your getting yourself worked up over are close to a year old.
technically, there is nothing wrong with prepreg.
The fact that the 'home-built' industry has a few questions is hardly surprising.

Its OK to have a favorite topic, but most folks have already moved on.

-bill

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:05 pm

Ididnt say that pre pregs are hard to work with ,quite the opposite.I am suprised that boards are built using pre pregs .Still ill shut the f*** up and let you get on with it . Adios amigos .Merry crimbo.

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:34 pm

fat blokes can fly wrote:It's funny what you say about pre-pregs being hard to work with i seem to remember someone having trouble with cheap out of date pre-pregs or poor materials hygine process a few years back, i believe the word on the beach was 'shark nosed delaminating shit.....'

Obviously things have come on since then, as even young kids from this forum have made competent pre-preg boards, so it can't be that hard....
You got something to say ,say it .These boards were built 10 years ago .What have you built?

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:03 pm

lol.

huffy puffy, if you feel you are copping attitude on the forum then maybe......

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:44 pm

Spam

joe90
Rare Poster

Re: WHY

Postby joe90 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:55 am

HUFFYPUFFY wrote: Who in there right mind uses pre preg in board construction? ,it doesnt work. .
????

crabman
Medium Poster

Postby crabman » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:26 am

Joe90 are you saying that North use pre pregs .If they do ,im supprised as all there boards are made in the far east arent they?And seeing they are going to the far east to make more money someone like Jinli composites .I cant see how they would make the volume using pre pregs. 40 boards a dayThats a hell of a lot of setting up ?Tell me if im wrong.Im sure they would find the cheapest rout.If there using dye sublimation graphics .Pre preg no way.

joe90
Rare Poster

Postby joe90 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:41 pm

I didn't say it was a North board... :D

North sponsored rider, on his custom carbon pre-preg 118 x 36

Tests:

http://hartland.org.uk/ckb/118tests1.htm

Return to “Gear Builders”