Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
kitenb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

RRD Type HIRs

Postby kitenb » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:22 am

I work for a kiteshop, so let me get that out in the open. We sell just about every brand: Slingshot, Naish, North, RRD, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Flexifoil, and Liquid Force. I guess I would call my riding style part new school, part old school. I like to do(try is probably a better way to describe it) a lot of the new school stuff, but I also like to boost big. I have ridden almost all of the 2005 kites, and most of the 2006 Kites that are out right now...and the Type HIR is the best for me so far. I have ridden the 10m, 8m, and 16m.

Speed: Super fast. Just like the Type 6's, Type ZH's, and new Type 7's, the speed is incredible.

Bar pressure: Very light...I was really impressed with the feel of the 16m. Fealt like I was on a 12m kite.

Lift: Wow... here is where the difference is between the new Type 7's and the Type HIRs. I loved everything about the Type 7's, but it didn't have a crazy amount of lift. The type HIR's do.. Very floaty jumps.

Range: Lots...I had the 10m in some really light winds for what I would normally ride a 10m in(most guys were on 12 and 13m kites), but I still had enough power to stay upwind. I had is zipped up... When the wind picked up(guys came in and rigged 9m and smaller kites), I could stay out with no problem. I just came in and unzipped it, and was fine. The zipper is no joke..it works...

Overall: This is what I am riding this year. I have tried the bow kites: Crossbow, Turbo Diesel, Switchblade, Ocean Rodeo The One...tried the new Naish torches and Raven's, Liquid Force M-80's, and most of the kites from last year, and this is the best for me so far... Nothing wrong with those other kites, but the HIR's is the perfect match for my riding style. I went with the 16, 13, 10, and 8m for my personal quiver. Very happy... Again, I work for a kiteshop, and we sell all kites, not just the RRD's...... http://www.oceanextremesports.com

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:17 am

Thank you very much for review

btw

which bow you like most?

How is ONE in compare with other

Tomas

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:59 pm

I think all of the bow kites pretty much fealt the same to me. Between The One, the Crossbow, and the Turbo Diesel..all pretty similar. The biggest difference between all three was the bar. I think most people like the Turbo Diesel bar better than the others. The Ocean Rodeo bar was a prototype, so not the final version. I think if you like a bow kite, you couldn't go wrong with any of these. I had a good time riding all of these, but just prefer the more traditional styles...

Finally got to test out the 13m Type HIR today. It was a little light(most guys were on 16 and 15m kites). I think it was probably blowing around 15mph or so, but we had some outgoing current which gives you a little boost. Went out on an Underground FLX 132, and kept it zipped up for more juice. Was amazed at how I could stay upwind, still jump, and fealt pretty lit. Had a little trouble getting the kite out of the water one time due to the current running so fast and I couldn't get enough tension on the lines...but after about 4 minutes of paddling, I was able to relaunch it. I think this will be my most used size here in Florida, and will be really fun with a surf board when we get those 10-15mph sea breeze days...

enrico666
Medium Poster

One

Postby enrico666 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:08 pm

I'm also curious about the "One"... OR say that the kite is final, but are still finalising the bar.

Did the test bar you tried have pulleys?

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:51 pm

I have flown Ocean Rodeo's "The One.." Flew the 12m after the Surf Expo, and a lot of guys flew it this past weekend at our Halloween Event. The kite looked finalized, minus the color layout, but the bar was still the prototype. No pulleys or anything on this one, but not sure what the final one will look like. I think I heard they are not going to have pulleys on their bar, but not 100% sure on that. We also had the Turbo Diesel, Crossbow and Switchblade out there for demoing. Everyone liked them all. I thought they were all pretty similar. I still prefer the traditional kites, but lots and lots of guys were liking these bows better... There is some reviews by some of the riders on the forum on our website: http://www.oceanextremesports.com , then go to forum.

Here are some thoughts on the crossbow vs. the switchblade:
http://www.oceanextremesports.com/phpBB ... c.php?t=43

Also some tech talk on the new Octanes from Slingshot:
http://www.oceanextremesports.com/phpBB ... um.php?f=4

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:11 am

how do you compare the hir and type 7? Tried the hir on the wave bar?

Bob

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:23 am

whitecap wrote:how do you compare the hir and type 7? Tried the hir on the wave bar?

Bob
Both great kites. For those pure wakestyle guys out there, I think the Type 7 is great. For those who like wakestyle but also like to go big, then the HIR. The biggest difference I found was the jumping. HIR=very high, Type 7=as good as most kites, just not quite as high as the HIR. Either way, you can't go wrong if you like fast turning kites...

I have not tried the Type 7 or HIR with the wave bar yet..hopefully soon.

Arthur
Rare Poster

Sell

Postby Arthur » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:16 pm

I, I have a Type HIR 16m² black and red, with only 3 sessions. I sell it because i have a new sonsors. If you are interested, please send me a mail: arthur@arthurjohnston.com

Thanks

Nico80
Medium Poster

Postby Nico80 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:50 pm

I've sailed the Thir 8m twice now, and everything kitenb says is spot on.
Yesterday there were very light winds two of my friends were on 12 luciano and 14 Takoon, well believe me or not I was comparing in speed and direction with my friend in 15 and going much better than my other friend in 14m which got quite upset about it and is searching for another 14m kite now :) (note I am much lighter than him probably 15 kg less)
Today winds were stronger (my friends were in 9's) and yes the kite is extremely light and soft but still really fast and the jumps very nice and floaty, I havn't reached by very far the top end of this kite and it must be huge, for a start everyone was amazed on how long the back lines are, the kite just floats on it's front edge.
Well I won't say more because two sessions aren't enough but first impressions are really really good. If there was just one thing, why only white lines?

And it is a beauty (I have a black and red version) not only my opinion javascript:emoticon(':thumb:')
Last edited by Nico80 on Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitecap
Medium Poster

Postby whitecap » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:34 pm

kitenb wrote:
whitecap wrote:how do you compare the hir and type 7? Tried the hir on the wave bar?

Bob
Both great kites. For those pure wakestyle guys out there, I think the Type 7 is great. For those who like wakestyle but also like to go big, then the HIR. The biggest difference I found was the jumping. HIR=very high, Type 7=as good as most kites, just not quite as high as the HIR. Either way, you can't go wrong if you like fast turning kites...

I have not tried the Type 7 or HIR with the wave bar yet..hopefully soon.

Return to “Reviews”