local
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonic 14 Review

Postby local » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:58 am

On a LF Drop Ltd 132.

This was my first Bow kite so I can't comment on how it is compared to the other bows.

Flew it on the beach in 6-8 kts yesterday, could reverse launch, very cool.
Blowing 8-12 today, and I was out there all day. Was not quite able to hold upwind in the lower range, I would say 10tks is probably min. for me (170 pounds). Started to get some serious air in the upper ranges. By the way this was in Pompano Beach FL on Jan 13th from about 1 pm - 5:30 pm in case anyone wants to check the meter. Bar pressure is minimal so you have to be nimble with the gas. I absolutely love this kite, awsome....A few negatives to mention: the kite felt slow, slower than my 13 Fuel, that is most likely due to the light wind conditions. No stopper balls for the valves, whats that all about. Bar...not sure if I like it, felt weird, clumsy. The beauty of the Sonic is that it can be flown with any normal 4 line bar. So I tried it with my SS Spreader with 23m, lines, sweet. I need to give the GK bar another chance though. All in all I am very happy with this kite. I was looking to fill the 10 to 20 knot range and this will do it. All I know is that I am never going back to a 'c'.

vman
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: Airush, Gaastra, Nobile

Re: Sonic 14 Review

Postby vman » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:38 pm

local wrote:On a LF Drop Ltd 132.

This was my first Bow kite so I can't comment on how it is compared to the other bows.

Flew it on the beach in 6-8 kts yesterday, could reverse launch, very cool.
Blowing 8-12 today, and I was out there all day. Was not quite able to hold upwind in the lower range, I would say 10tks is probably min. for me (170 pounds). Started to get some serious air in the upper ranges. By the way this was in Pompano Beach FL on Jan 13th from about 1 pm - 5:30 pm in case anyone wants to check the meter. Bar pressure is minimal so you have to be nimble with the gas. I absolutely love this kite, awsome....A few negatives to mention: the kite felt slow, slower than my 13 Fuel, that is most likely due to the light wind conditions. No stopper balls for the valves, whats that all about. Bar...not sure if I like it, felt weird, clumsy. The beauty of the Sonic is that it can be flown with any normal 4 line bar. So I tried it with my SS Spreader with 23m, lines, sweet. I need to give the GK bar another chance though. All in all I am very happy with this kite. I was looking to fill the 10 to 20 knot range and this will do it. All I know is that I am never going back to a 'c'.

Glad to hear that you’ve join the club. I believe GK will be changing all new 14m Sonics with 63cm bars and the valves will have stopper balls too.
How does the SS bar fair on the Sonic? Can you still have full de-power with it?
Any photos?

local
Medium Poster

Postby local » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:17 pm

Felt good with my SS bar, but I haven't tried it in stronger winds yet so I am not sure how the depower will work. I wonder if I can get new blotters with the stopper balls installed when they become available.

Driller
Medium Poster

Postby Driller » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:46 pm

Have you or any one you know had the 14m GK sonic invert like the crossbow and how is the saftey leash dose it work good

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:08 pm

vman wrote: I believe GK will be changing all new 14m Sonics with 63cm bars and the valves will have stopper balls too.
The 63cm bar makes it night and day on the 14. So that's definitely the bar that needs to be used on the 14. However, I don't think GK should put stopper balls in the bladders, I don't really see any functional need for it, when you pinch the valve, there is no air loss, at all. When you have a ball and the air is still leaking, you can't pinch anymore due to the ball, need to cope with, so I don't like them, as I don't need them. Actually I don't care, ... whatever...

My two cents on the 14 is that it pulls a lot, and there is no reason you would want it any bigger. Usually after a session on the 14, my legs are wrecked, and I feel physically exhausted having dealt with that much power. It's quite pleasant though, but I need to go back to cross training! Upwind and jumping on a standard board at a medium 10kts with more than 85kg, that's the bottom end. Can get medium 8kts with a door-like board, and get all the mates pissed off to see you jumping when they need to keep an eye on their kite when they walk upwind or submarine. Note that the 14 is very stable, and stays effortless in the air unless the wind drops to something ridiculously low. Time to pack then.

Basically I'd say it develops the power of a much larger kite, and with side by side riding with others, that would be something like the power of a 18.
You can depower it as much as you want pratically, but when you're asking for power (and sure you do), you get that much power delivered to you, be prepared for that ;)
So Lift is there for sure, plenty of hangtime, stuck in the air high and for a long time, and it is reasonably fast turning when you consider how powerful it is. Fast enough for various kiteloops, but nowhere as fast as a 12.
So overall I think it's a really good big kite, but you'd need to be heavy or really looking for a lightwind machine, don't be fooled by the "14" printed on the kite, in your usual reference system, think more like a 18.
Usually I like to ride a smaller (max 12) faster kite that can be moved all over the place, trying to get more power from my kite, more efficiency with my lightwind board and position to achieve my lightwind goals, instead of having the power of two trucks available and tapping into the depower most of the time. That's really personal preferences, and in this personal context, the 14 feels almost too big for me and would only fill the 9-11kts gap. Since I'm somewhat busy (not always too busy since I write shit on this forum... 8)) and I can get some stronger wind every now and then, it is not indispensable in my quiver. If I was somewhere when it is consistent light, it would be a major part of my kit.

Anyway, as usual, try it yourself!

Gus
Rare Poster

Postby Gus » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey Bragnouff,
I've seen a few of ur reviews about the sonic and looks like you know that kite inside out.
Anyway, here is my question.
I'm 75kg and use to C-Shape fast Kite (F-One Mach 05 actually). I looooove my small 10m Mach one and was looking for another kite to complete the lost quiver 12,14, 16m . Will that Sonic do the trick?
Will it go to 15-20 knots no problem? Then i can jump on my 10m.

Thx for your answers

Return to “Reviews”