Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hully/Sudbury
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach, DR
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flexifoil, Best, Naish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tanked! » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:10 am

Thanks! I like your reviews of the OR ONE and Best Waroo. Looking foreward to your review of the Windwing Rapture 2! I'm in the market for 1 or 2 of these three models.
Just a few questions. In your review of the Waroo, you seemed stoked on a lot of the same things that you were in the ONE review, but way more stoked. Plus the ONE had a better bag!
Was there better conditions on the day you were riding the Waroo (had a better session)?
Are you affiliated with BEST? (I see you were riding a Nemi before).
Or would you say you just plain liked the Waroo better than the ONE?

cheers
scott

ps. When you do the Rap2 review, please make sure to take the time to get the kite set up on the right pigtails and trimmed properly so we can have a fair review. You said you put down the Xbow after five minutes because you didn't like it. I heard it takes a little longer to get the Rap2 set up you your liking but, it is worth the reward. I like this about the kite/company because is can me modified to suit a wide range of kiters if they take the time to dial it up. 5 mins is short for a review of any kite.
Thanks again. :thumb:

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pismo Beach, California
Favorite Beaches: Pismo Beach, California
Style: All
Gear: All
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:06 am

I am hoping to review the Rapture2 tomorrow. My friend Scott M. has the Rapture2 for a few weeks now so he should have them dialed in.

It isn't fair for me to compare the Waroo 9M against ONE 12M or XBOW12M since the Waroo is 9M and other kites are 12M. So until I have tried the Waroo 12M, then I can really make the comparison of the three: Waroo, ONE, and XBOW.
As for now Oceano Rodeo ONE 12M is a winner over the XBOW 12M for me!

Currently, I am riding the Waroo 9M and it has replaced my BEST 10M Nemesis. I really gained a lot of stuff from riding the Waroo 9M over the 10M Nemesis: no 5th line so one less thing to worry about kite getting trash in the waves, better hang time, super stable for unhooked tricks, better low end wind range, better upwind, fast relaunch, and still have all the safety of 5th line without 5th line, (probably better higher wind range: I still have to test this)

We sell BEST, F-One, Ocean Rodeo, etc. I ride BEST 10M Nemesis, 8M Nemesis, and 16BKFK as my 2005 Quiver.

One thing I am really stoked about the Waroo is that it has very simple control bar and the fact that you can let go the bar and the kite won't fall out of the sky completed and the bar can be regrab within reach easily . The One bar has really long depowerline and the stopper ball was not sticky enough while I was testing it so if I accidentally let go of the bar, the kite will immediately depowered completely (Ocean Rodeo told me that they have improved the sticky on the stopper of the ONE bar since my last testing). This is in a sense very good for beginner riders.

Go XtremeBigAir,
Kinsley Wong

Lolo
Frequent Poster

Postby Lolo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Thanks for the very good review.

Well, you say that you like the kite does not drop down immediately when you let the bar go.
Now, one of the innovative features of flat kites is that complete depower is potentially available in few seconds, so when you leave the bar the power should be gone. As much as I see in your review, the Waroo 9 flies a bit longer while the bar is completely off, it sounds like the quick and full depower is actually not there.

stacey
Medium Poster

Postby stacey » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:01 pm

Lolo wrote:Thanks for the very good review.

Well, you say that you like the kite does not drop down immediately when you let the bar go.
Now, one of the innovative features of flat kites is that complete depower is potentially available in few seconds, so when you leave the bar the power should be gone. As much as I see in your review, the Waroo 9 flies a bit longer while the bar is completely off, it sounds like the quick and full depower is actually not there.
When you let go of the bar, the kite does not drop down immediately, meaning it doesn't fall into the water so quickly (depending on where the kite is when you let go of the bar, of course ) ... not that it doesn't depower immediately. If it's at 12 when you let go of the bar, it depowers immediately and will just hang there, eventually working its way either to the right or the left, along the edge of the window, towards the water.

As soon as you let go of the bar, it depowers. The quick depower is actually there. I've stood on the beach for a minute or two with the kite at 12, hooked into the chicken loop, not holding the bar, and the kite just stays there in the air, fully depowered.

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:28 pm

Scott:
Sunday the wind was smoking 15-25kts plus. My friend Scott M. who has the Rapture2 let me tried the Rapture2 9M and I first hooked it up with the double depower line bar of windwing. I could not turn the kite. So Scott M. rerigged the Rapture2 9M with a simple bar with single depowerline: much better.
The Rapture2 9M was still did not turn fast like the Waroo. It slided more to the edge. I could not ride it well at all so I asked Scott M. to tune it some more.

With the Waroo 9M, It took me 2 tries to get the kite tune up with the back line and that was it.

Yesterday, we took out the Rapture2 9M again but the wind was light so no major testing...

Hang loose and I will post the complete review.
But so far, I am having some of the best time kiting with the Waroo: it is such an awesome kite that I am having so much fun with. My legs were so tired because I was smacking the lips of the waves so much while riding the waroo, just like endless surfing for me....

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 am

Kinsley,

Are you able to self laucnh the kite the trad way by folding the wing tip over and putting sand on it. I think it still by far the safest was to self launch.

Is there a chance of twigs etc getting caught in the bridle (my beach has sticks etc ).

enrico666
Medium Poster

Postby enrico666 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:24 pm

Kinsley,
looking forward to your review of the Rap2. Of the new kites, I tried the sonic and Rap2 a few times, and am looking forward to trying the waroo.

My advice would be: use the Waroo bar when you fly the Rap2. Maybe you will need to change the trimming a bit: if you attach all the lines to the one point and tense the lines, the bar should be halfway up the depower line, or maybe a bit closer to the CL.

But make sure you give the Rap enough time, it may take a bit linger to get used to than the waroo.

:bye:

XtremeBigAir.com
Frequent Poster

Postby XtremeBigAir.com » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:49 pm

Hi Mattdog,
No problem with the Waroo 9M regarding self launching it with one tip folding with sand, the traditional way. Just make sure you keep the bridle line clear off all the end struts.
The final production Waroo 9M will have bridle slides so the bridle line won't get caught on the end struts.

Hi Enrico:
I spent three days with my friend Scott M. who owns the Rapture2 9M. After three days of testing the Rapture2 9M with Scott M. helped to tune the Rapture2 to my liking and using 2 different Windwing bars. I still like the Waroo 9M the best.
The Rapture2 9M slips/slides through turns. It does not turn on the pivot/scooping like the Waroo 9M. The Rapture2 9M jelly fish/wobble alot while kiting-we were able to minimize this wobbling through different settings but the Rapture2 still wobble.
The Bar pressure on the Rapture2 is much higher than Waroo 9M.

At our beach, there were 4 other kiters who tried both the Waroo 9M and Rapture2 9M, they all like the Waroo better and all bought Waroo kites.

I hope the information is helpful.
Kinsley.

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:08 am

What are "bridle slides" ? Can someone post a Waroo video of folded sanded wing tip launching. Call me old fashioned but I don't think there is a safer method for my spot, and can't rely on having a launcher around all the time.

Return to “Reviews”