Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Harness---> Backpack question for snowkite....

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Submitguy505
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Submitguy505 » Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:42 pm

Ok...ive heard around that wearing a water harness is bulky and uncomfortable when wearing all your winter clothes.
I have also heard that a great solution to this problem is to convert a backpack with one of those lower back straps (dakine, northface etc..) into a harness that will also carry some extra gloves, food, etc..

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any good ideas on how to do it?

thanks

Inexperienced kiter guy

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:24 pm

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I don't usually eat when kiting. If I do need to eat, I'll just pack up and drive to McDonalds. My ARC foil and lines only take about 5-6 minutes to set up, and I'd rather eat something warm if I have to.

Also, my seat harness has never been bulky or uncomfortable. I'm always fine out there. If I need to carry anything, I can shove a P&J sandwich in my coat pocket, with my cell phone, car keys, etc. Why have a backpack?

Plus, if you can stay upwind, which is really easy on a snowboard compared to water, why do you need to carry all that stuff with you? Just ride back to your car, IMO.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Submitguy505
Rare Poster

Postby Submitguy505 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:01 pm

so you dont have any experience with it....

anyone else?

Badwind
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Badwind » Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:11 pm

He's talking about snowkiting. Like...in the boonies.
Hint: The whole idea is to get away from the crowds. Not all of us are obsessed with showing off.
For optimum experience, the nearest McDonalds should be at least 50 miles away. Such conditions probably don't even exist near Chicago, so you are forgiven :wink:

A pair of snowshoes and some extra clothes and a bottle of wine might prove instrumental to your survival, and almost certainly add to your enjoyment.

Anyway,it sounds like a great idea. You'd want to add some substantial (possibly removable?) leg loops. And then tie the attachment points into the top of these as well as the waist/hip band.
Maybe just get an oversized rockclimbing harness and incorporate it onto the right snowboard pack.

Dan

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:35 pm

I have a "day pack" with a waist belt and another belt that goes between the two shoulder straps right at my sternum (sorry don't know any technical terms for bakpack parts).

I thought about trying to modify it as a harness but the following problems are apparent:

1. Pulling forward on various parts of the straps just does not feel comfortable
2. I very much doubt that the straps and plastic buckles could handle the kind of loading they'd get if I somehow attached a kite to them.

Granted my pack is a cheap one. I'm sure it would be possible to modify or build a pack/harness that works but I have enough problems with breaking my kiteboard-designed harnesses already. Also my pack already fits OK over my dakine fusion seat harness.

Good luck. If you come up with a design that works well you should market it. I don't think there are any mass-produced ones available.

Badwind
Rare Poster

Postby Badwind » Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:07 pm

As an afterthought:
The Fusion harness really takes the bite out of hard falls. It's like having built-in hip/back pads. I wish I'd been wearing it last weekend when I went down on ice with my snowboard (not kiting, no wind).
It helps to keep you warm, and the extra back support is nice too. The velcro clogs with snow though.
Have you tried wearing a jumpsuit instead of pants/jacket?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Badwind on 2002-12-24 19:11 ]</font>

Urban
Rare Poster

Postby Urban » Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:17 am

If yuo have a nice backpack (daypack). Just add a few straps from the hip belt between your legs to keep the pack from sliding up. For light crousing this is sufficient but for stronger winds better straps is needed.

/Urban.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Urban on 2002-12-25 00:23 ]</font>

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Postby skipfrommichigan » Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:50 am

I would echo Tim's thoughts - you do not need to modify a backpack - a waist harness works fine. Look at the construction of a backpack - they are not designed to take the load. On the other hand - I tore the spreader buckle off my DaKine waist harness on my last hard fall. And that was a good thing - if the buckle did not break - I would have been hurt worse.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:50 am

I turned my Dakine heli pack into a harness by taking off the plastic buckles. I then put the waist strap through the spreader bar and use cam buckles to tighten the strap through the bar. It works great for light to moderate winds. Not so well for jumping though. Now that I am better and like to catch big air, I use a waist harness and wear my backpack also. This is a must for where I kiteboard because the snow is several feet deep and you want to have snowshoes. I also put a camelback in the pack. When I take people that are learning I have them use my pack harness

Return to “Snow / Land”