Forum for snow- and landkiters
Igor
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Igor » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:19 am

Guys!
I can give you a little update on snowkiting in Brooklyn. We (Uriy, Gene, Pasha and myself) have been kiting this saturday right on the brighton beach - it was very nice, even when snow not that deep the sand helps.
Before that we (me and Uriy) had a good two days kiting on Bennet field, but got kicked out by cops at the end - police chopper pilots complained. So, keep in touch on the phone. Today (sunday) snow was almost gone on the beach, we didn't even try. Tomorrow (12/9/02) i am going to check some spots around Greenwood lake (upstate), let you know how it went later, but I don't think it will be enough wind. By the way, we have discovered that basically the same wind strengh needed for the snow as for the water, or almost the same. To go upwind is very easy. So, good luck and be in touch. Later.

malex
Rare Poster

Postby malex » Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:45 am

too bad about benett field and the cops...
Let us know how your search turns out.

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:43 am

ready people? after a really white christmas, all the city is a playground, and tomorrow is supposed to be nukin! i plan to try my new npw9 3.4, but it may be too much.

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:08 pm

FYI, I've been trying the big ball field at Van Cortland Park and a friend of mine had a relatively decent run yesterday. We tried to go a couple days ago when it was super gusty, but that was pretty foul -- the wind can be squirrely from the surrounding buildings, trees, etc. Also, it's just not big enough.

Please keep posting other NYC attempts!
Theresa

randykato
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: Cabrinha. Lieuwe, Carved

Postby randykato » Sat Dec 28, 2002 4:27 pm

on the 26th i went to eisenhower park on long island....huge park, much bigger than central park, and there was so much space for kiting! the wind was super gusty (i was reading from 3 to 25 knots), but on a better wind day it should be pretty nice. i tried out a nasa power wing (npw9 3.4m) and in that kind of wind it was like having the tasmanian devil on speed and redbull on the end of my lines. i got pretty whipped around, but it was pretty fun. spent more time sliding on my butt than on the board, but that in itself was insanely fun, dragging along at high speed on my ass for hundreds of meters. then i switched to my flexifoil super 10 (1.75m), and did a few nice long downwind runs until i got tired out.

it's definitely a great open space, but it's hard to tell if it's a good wind spot. i know the wind in general was pretty gusty that day, but i don't know how the wind quality is there otherwise since it's inland and surrounded by city.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:28 pm

How about spots near Hunter Mountain?
I go there once in a while. It would be nice to try some snowkiting if there's something nearby.

John
Rare Poster

Postby John » Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:21 am

I am not sure anywhere exactly near hunter... My parents have a place over in Delhi and I took my brother snowkiting over there a few weeks ago.... The fields are nice n big but gotta keep an eye out for barbed wire in farm fields

Return to “Snow / Land”