Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which twin tip to use in rough surf conditions?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:24 pm

Hi, I live near the shore in Holland. My favorite place to ride is on sea. The surf in Holland a fun place to be in. However, I am trying to figure out what the ideal twin tip is for rough sea conditions with breakers everywhere. I assume a very short board with a sharp edge would not be ideal.
Has anyone some suggestions?

Thanx.
Henk

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:54 pm

Hello Henk,

I may be a throwback, but for such conditions I prefer a directional board. We have had 2 m or better surf over a 150 m width in the last week and for me, the directional definitely helps in wave riding. Failing that I have had fairly good performance with an Orly 175 twin tip in slightly less rough conditions. It could be that I just need to spend more time out with the twin tip in rougher conditions.

Rick Iossi

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sake » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:17 pm

I'm not an experienced kiter, but what I've seen and read so far, the ideal board would be a thin TT with a lot of flex.

For example Undergroud Wavetray or Slingshot Skateseries.

I'm riding the Slingshot Drake 147 and for the couple of times I used it it's great in the surf. Very good control and very nice for waveriding(lots of rocker and flexy tail)

BTW I live in the Netherlands also(Zeeland to be more specific) and mostly kite at sea.

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:18 am

Hi Henk,

I have been kiting in 2 to 2.5 meter waves for sometime, and have tried a number of different boards in waves of this size. Personally, I have found riding a 150 TT directional to be my favourite. Should you decide to go with a directional board, my only advise to you would be to make sure it has plenty of rocker and very hard (thin) rails.

In case you're look for a recommendation, i'm currently using a 2002 e-board "flirt" 147 tt direction and have to say that i have found it to be an extremely good performer and well made.

See ya,

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:00 pm

I didn't try different boards in waves, sinceI was in waves only 2 times.
Yes, I'm a "flat water pilot" :lol:
Anyway, I would assume that if you go out with a thin TT or wakestyle you should put bigger fins on it. This will make a big difference. A board can be absolutely loose with 1.0 fins and with 1.75 it has grip like hell. Give it a try!

Toby

kieran
Rare Poster

Postby kieran » Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:22 am

good point toby. i do on occations use my wake board in the surf but i always use larger fins such as those found on directional boards. By using the larger fins on a wake board i found that i didn't have to ride the wake board on its rails so much. which in waves, suits my style of riding better.

i should point out that i find riding wake boards in smaller surf (1 meter to 1.5 meter waves) to be a lot of fun. But when you start getting out in bigger waves (2 meter to 3 meter waves) i prefer riding my tt directional.

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:58 am

the Brunotti Lord of Hellfire is a brilliant board for rough conditions. I have a costum replica, as the original is more expensive than a 2kg costum.

the dimensions of the board is 155*34 and the outline is assymetrical, the toeside edge has a stronger curve than the heelside. The edges are as sharp as on a wakeboard. The board goes superfast and remains in control, it's very easy to land even big air powerdiving the kite, due to the narrow shape.

actually i have a pic of my friend Dirk using the "banana" on rio yasica, Cabarete. The pics are all from flatwater, but it is excellent in surf and has a good grip for cutbacks and topturns...several pro's use this board..(luciano gonzales, wilson tavares etc...)

http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~alsbirk/ ... rkpics.htm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:03 pm

I thought he lost a fin, but no! It only has three fins!

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:23 pm

haha, he got the board the same days I took the pics of him, and he had only 2 good fins and one crap fin. There is holes for 2 fins in each end (heelside+ toeside) and holes for at centre fin. All finholes are wakestyle...

I have got a banana as well and it totally rips

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:05 pm

Hi,

did you (or Dirk) get your custom from the designer Eric Hertsens ?? Or from somebody else ??

Thanks,
Dènis

P.S. I'll be making one of these babys myself soon :smile:

Return to “Kitesurfing”