All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: AUSTRALIA AND SHARKS
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:26 am 
Rare Poster

Kitesurf Central Coast and S.F. Area, this whole shark thing is new to me. I am going to Sydney and moving around hitting the spots. Having never kitesurfed in shark infested water, any recommendations besides, don't crash/tangle your kite in the water or carry bloddy meat in your pockets! How serious is the problem or am I being a pansy about it. I blame it on the Discovery Channel. Then again we have great whites in Northern California, but they don't seem to be draging a kid out to sea once a month. Does anybody use those electric shark repellers the surfers use?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:47 am 
Rare Poster

What surfers? I've been surfing for 25 years and never met one who has used anything like that. Nothing will be of any real use

I met a 5m great white at Jeffries bay SA in 1990 whilst surfing and have surfed with sharks off Grenada.

I don't think anything would have stopped the white if it was hungry.
Sometimes you win, very occassionaly you lose but if it's coming you ain't gonna see it before it happens.

It's highly unlikely that you'll get taken but use common sense, if there's a warning issued go somewhere else. Steer clear of dawn and dusk sessions, rivermouths and murky water after rain storms.

If your worried about it though, you won't have a fun session anyway.

Cheers and best of luck... sharkbait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:49 am 
Rare Poster

Or just take your missus in the water (if she's got the painters in) and tell her to thrash around a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:18 pm 
Rare Poster

I found the other postings, I am throwing the Discovery Channel in the trash, and just am going to use safe practices, like not draging bait behind the board or doing awesome jumps behind the fishing trawler. I'll keep reading the other postings, thanks.

[ 4 posts ]